Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rockinghorse Winner[_8_] Rockinghorse Winner[_8_] is offline

Default Older 24/96 Dacs?

Hi, all. Does anyone know if the DAC's made in the early part of the 2000's
and late 90's - like Perpetual Technology's P-3A and MSB's Link - would
sound good by today's standards.

The sampling rate of these dac's only go to 96 KHz, as opposed to the
standard 192 used in most dac's today. Also, the chips used have of course
been obsolesced by the manufacturers to purportedly better, cheaper ones
today.

Nevertheless, the price quotient on these quality units is tempting, since I
have a high-end thirst, but a a low-end budget. I'm currently using an
inexpensive 24/192 up-sampling DAC from China, off brand, that uses the 1791
chip. It's not bad for the money, but I get some glare in the upper
mid-range. It's bad enough that I can't turn up the amp to levels I enjoy,
because it starts to hurt my ears. Not cool!

So, I was thinking that the problem is the output stage, and that the
previously mentioned dac's would have better op amps and filtering in the
output stage (higher quality components, etc). I would appreciate any
comments or suggestions on whether this would be a trade-up or a downgrade -
going to the older but higher quality dac?

Terry
--
"For I would ride with you upon the wind, |/
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide, |/ Gentoo Linux

Tube DACs?? cipher[_3_] Vacuum Tubes 95 December 9th 08 12:53 AM
High end DACs Soundhaspriority Audio Opinions 4 May 20th 08 02:12 PM
FS dacs Extranu1 Marketplace 0 January 8th 04 11:10 PM
Looking for objective opinions on DACs Ron Audio Opinions 0 October 1st 03 03:26 AM