Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

Default "dbx knows compressors...after all we invented them!"

Just found this profound statement on a data sheet for a dbx 166xs
compressor. I don't know offhand who should get credit for 'inventing
the
compressor', but they existed way before the dbx company was even
founded, right?

-Neb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

nebulax wrote:

Just found this profound statement on a data sheet for a dbx 166xs
compressor. I don't know offhand who should get credit for 'inventing
the
compressor', but they existed way before the dbx company was even
founded, right?

I believe A.D. Blumlein was using an experimantal system of automatic
volume control on wax recorders in the late 1920s. The BBC were
certainly using very effective compressors/limiters on their
transmitters and recording lathes in the 1940s.

How old is the dbx company?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PenaL PenaL is offline

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
nebulax wrote:

Just found this profound statement on a data sheet for a dbx 166xs
compressor. I don't know offhand who should get credit for 'inventing
the
compressor', but they existed way before the dbx company was even
founded, right?

I believe A.D. Blumlein was using an experimantal system of automatic
volume control on wax recorders in the late 1920s. The BBC were
certainly using very effective compressors/limiters on their
transmitters and recording lathes in the 1940s.

How old is the dbx company?

....was founded in 1971.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx,_Inc.

-Pentti
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

nebulax wrote:
Just found this profound statement on a data sheet for a dbx 166xs
compressor. I don't know offhand who should get credit for 'inventing
the
compressor', but they existed way before the dbx company was even
founded, right?

Yeah, BUT David Blackmer at dbx did come up with the standard VCA design
that everyone today uses. It was an absolute and total revolution in
compressor design.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
nebulax wrote:
Just found this profound statement on a data sheet for a dbx 166xs
compressor. I don't know offhand who should get credit for 'inventing
the
compressor', but they existed way before the dbx company was even
founded, right?

Yeah, BUT David Blackmer at dbx did come up with the standard VCA design
that everyone today uses. It was an absolute and total revolution in
compressor design.

Well not "everyone" since many people think anything "retro" must be better.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Jan 17, 4:18*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
nebulax wrote:
Just found this profound statement on a data sheet for a dbx 166xs
compressor. I don't know offhand who should get credit for 'inventing
the
compressor', but they existed way before the dbx company was even
founded, right?

Yeah, BUT David Blackmer at dbx did come up with the standard VCA design
that everyone today uses. *It was an absolute and total revolution in
compressor design.
--scott

Well then, I guess it would be more accurate to say "dbx knows VCA
compressors...", tho' that would be somewhat less impressive sounding.
Now if they said "We also traveled back into history with our magical
time machine, and came up with the original designs for the Fairchild
660 limiter", then I'd be impressed!

-Neb

-Neb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_4_] MG[_4_] is offline

nebulax wrote:
[...]

The folks at CBS Labs who developed the Audimax will be surprised to hear
this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

MG wrote:
"nebulax" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

Yeah, BUT David Blackmer at dbx did come up with the standard VCA design
that everyone today uses. It was an absolute and total revolution in
compressor design.

Well then, I guess it would be more accurate to say "dbx knows VCA
compressors...", tho' that would be somewhat less impressive sounding.
Now if they said "We also traveled back into history with our magical
time machine, and came up with the original designs for the Fairchild
660 limiter", then I'd be impressed!

The folks at CBS Labs who developed the Audimax will be surprised to hear
this.

I don't recall the original tube Audimax, but the solid state 400-series
used a bipolar transistor with the bias point changed by a control
voltage. Linearity was orders of magnitude poorer than you could get
with the Blackmer VCA.

The Blackmer circuit could get you distortion levels that were impossible
to obtain without an optical LCR, but with a response time hundreds of
times faster than the Lumiten or Vactrol. On top of that, it gave you
much wider usable gain range.

It really was a total revolution, it's really what made VCA automation
and companding for noise reduction possible.

Mind you, the control circuit on the Audimax which locked the gain on
silent passages was a revolution in itself, and the same design is
showing up in a lot of dsp broadcast compressors today....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MarkK MarkK is offline

Properly linearized FET compressors can be very clean too. IIRC, the

harmonic
distortion caused by the FET attenuator in an Optimod 8000 was in the

order
of 0.025%, which was achieved by limiting the audio level across the FET

about 20 mv. It was followed by a low-noise amplifier.

.

Bob Orban

Bob,
also besides keeping the audio level on the drain low, as I'm sure you
already know, the trick of feeding 1/2 of the audio into the gate, greatly
reduces the distortion as well..

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~kphang/...martin_AGC.pdf

Mark