Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Schoeps for vocals question

I think Ty might be the only regular here who has had his hands on a schoeps V4u, but I'm wondering why, at $3k, one would want to use that for vocals in a studio setting instead of an mk4 (or really any other pattern appropriate collete). I've used my mk41 on various singers a few times now and aside from the low low end being a little light it's a superb vocal mic. I imagine an mk4 or 21 would be even better, depending on the room.... Is it an image thing? I.e. People are averse to using a small condenser on vocals?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
I think Ty might be the only regular here who has had his hands on a schoep=
s V4u, but I'm wondering why, at $3k, one would want to use that for vocals=
in a studio setting instead of an mk4 (or really any other pattern appropr=
iate collete). I've used my mk41 on various singers a few times now and as=
ide from the low low end being a little light it's a superb vocal mic. I i=
magine an mk4 or 21 would be even better, depending on the room.... Is it a=
n image thing? I.e. People are averse to using a small condenser on vocals=
?

Because the V4u is intended to give a bigger than life sound, rather than
an accurate vocal sound.

If I were recording a classical vocalist where a lot of the sound is coming
from the chest (even with a soprano) and where an accurate vocal sound was
most important, the MK41 is one of the first things I'd grab.

If I were recording a deliberately artificial "bigger than life" pop music
sound I would probably grab something very different.

If, however, you want to get a "bigger than life" sound from your MK41,
get some Gatorfoam or similar sheet and cut a disc about 5 inches around.
Put a hole in it, stick the mike through the hole so it's just poking
through and the sheet is behind the side vents. Tell me if it doesn't
sound bigger.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12-09-2014 17:15, Nate Najar wrote:

I think Ty might be the only regular here who has had his hands on
a schoeps V4u, but I'm wondering why, at $3k, one would want to use
that for vocals

Because saying that you have it could give you the job.

in a studio setting instead of an mk4 (or really any other pattern

appropriate collette).

I have tried deploying one pair of C42's on choir and two non-paired on
soloists in a Handel recording. Worked charmingly well. But I'd still
love to have a pair of TLM 102's for vox and guitar, Ty's test was
impressive.

I've used my mk41 on various singers a few times now and aside
from the low low end being a little light it's a superb vocal mic.

Some of the time miking vox is about conveying what is there.

I imagine an mk4 or 21 would be even better, depending on the room....

21 definitely.

Is it an image thing? I.e. People are averse to using a small
condenser on vocals?

They don't do it in the brochures and the glossy magazines, so the
"theysayers" aren't likely to even try it, because theysay that you need
a 1". Some of the time theysay is right, namely when it gets to be about
adding what isn't there. The same mic can be awful on a man with
dentures and a blessing on a girl with "restrained pronounciation", not
an impediment, just not an open sounding voice, speaking like having a
potato in the mouth.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

One reason many engineers are reluctant to use small-diaphragm condenser mics on vocalists is that many of them are very suscsptible to P-popping, more so than most large-diaphragm condensers. Whether this is inherent in the designs or a matter of poor screen design, I don't know.

Peace,
Paul