Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Garage Band for PC

I've been asked to do some very basic audio instruction in the music department at a
local university. Of course, it's an Apple shop and that means Garage Band. (The DAW
is not the focus of what I'm teaching, but it will need to be used now and then...
and the reality is that GB is what they have.)

I wanted to drill down a bit into the program and was hoping to find a PC version,
but that's been a weird journey. Found a "free" Garage Band for PC that turned out
to be multi-malware payload (including a *$(#%% toolbar, among other junk). Program
never did download; instead the "installer" tripped my antivirus and blew up
Firefox. Nope, THAT's not going to work.

Lots of other links imply that a PC version really doesn't exist, then go on to give
a long list of alternatives to GB. Lovely. That's not what I need.

So the question is for any GB users here whether there really is a Garage Band for
Windows, and where I might get it without layers of crap attached. I don't mind
paying a bit for it either. Often paying for a product is much cheaper than the
"free" version.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 20/08/2014 20:42, Frank Stearns wrote:
[...]

I've not tried this, as I have zero interest in Apple equipment other
than in an academic way.

It's an emulator to let you run the Mac OS and programs on a PC:-

http://oreilly.com/windows/archive/PearPC.html

You do, however, need a HD image from a Mac.

It's a lot easier to emulate a PC on a Mac, and that can give good
results, or so I've heard on some of the forums.

Or, if you just want a DAW that will run under Mac OS, Windows and Linux
all with a virtually identical interface, and able to interchange files
between OS's, there's always Audacity, which will be good for teaching
general principles.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

It's free, and, in my opinion, rather good once you get into the swing
of it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W[_3_] Phil W[_3_] is offline

Frank Stearns:

[...]

AFAIK there is NO Windows version, since "Garage Band" is made by Apple for
their own OSes. Logic used to be available for Windows and Mac OS until
Apple bought Emagic (original maker of Logic). The first thing, that Apple
did, was decide "no more Windows versions from now on!"

So, you have to get access to some kind of a Mac OS version, that´s able to
run GB. It might work in a VM on a Windows host.
The easier way is probably to borrow a Mac(book) from someone for a day and
play around with GB.

Beware, that GB has some weird ways of working - I´m also not a Mac user,
but I´ve heard about it over the years. For example, doubleclicking in a
MIDI track will NOT result in an empty event - unlike in pretty much any
other DAW. If you want a MIDI event/clip, you need to record it. After that,
you can change it with mouseclicking.
There might be similar weird effects for audio.

hope that helps a little bit,
Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/20/2014 3:42 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:

So the question is for any GB users here whether there really is a Garage Band for
Windows, and where I might get it without layers of crap attached.

If it has to be Garage Band because that's what the class uses, you're
stuck. If you want something that works like Garage Band in that it
allows you to create a backup band by picking instruments, patterns and
rhythms, there's Band In A Box. It's been around much longer than Garage
Band and is quite mature but still growing in styles.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert John Albert is offline

On 8/20/14 3:42 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:
So the question is for any GB users here whether there really is a Garage Band for
Windows, and where I might get it without layers of crap attached.

I've been a Mac user since 1987, and while Apple has
released an app here and there for Windows (such as iTunes
and AppleWorks), I've never heard of a "GarageBand for Windows".

Has anyone else?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

John Williamson wrote:

On 20/08/2014 20:42, Frank Stearns wrote: I've been asked to do some
[...]

There are seveal paths to emulation, and the topic has been tossed
around lately on the DAW-Mac list. Which way one chooses seems to depend
on many factors involving machine, OSD version, the range of apps
needed, and personal preferences.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 8/20/2014 3:42 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:

So the question is for any GB users here whether there really is a
Garage Band for Windows, and where I might get it without layers of crap
attached.

If it has to be Garage Band because that's what the class uses, you're
stuck. If you want something that works like Garage Band in that it
allows you to create a backup band by picking instruments, patterns and
rhythms, there's Band In A Box. It's been around much longer than Garage
Band and is quite mature but still growing in styles.

Those programs are less alike than you might be thinking.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Albert wrote:

On 8/20/14 3:42 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:
So the question is for any GB users here whether there really is a
Garage Band for Windows, and where I might get it without layers of crap
attached.

I've been a Mac user since 1987, and while Apple has
released an app here and there for Windows (such as iTunes
and AppleWorks), I've never heard of a "GarageBand for Windows".

Has anyone else?

I haven't. I also haven't looked.