Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

Happy New Year.

So I just dumpster-dived a pair of mid-'80s (guessing) RS Sierra tower speakers from a neighbor.

This is a premature question because I haven't hooked them up yet, but they have 12" rear-firing passive radiators with totally shot foam surrounds.

Assuming it's worth fixing them - if only to trade someone for something else - is it likely to make any serious difference what round 12" cone-shaped thing I put back there? Serious = commensurate with the quality of these speakers.

My guess is that these are hyped speakers, because I know Rogersound Labs and other stereo stores used to compare speakers to JBL L100s in those days. But the tweeter, midrange, and woofer are outwardly in good shape. The cabinets are in reasonable shape, but because I've been doing a lot of woodworking* recently I can easily replace some of the walnut veneer if it's necessary.

TIA

* By the way, if anyone knows anyone in the market for custom studio furniture, especially a unique composer's desk, let me know and and I'll send you some pictures. This has become a serious side business - I just shipped a desk to Paris, another to Florida - and I'm truly enjoying it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

https://www.amazon.com/ESS-Speaker-P.../dp/B009DNMZ6M

For example
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

I'm thinking $3 foam surrounds from ebay would probably do the job, right? No need for the Italian silk ones with solid gold mounting hardware?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/4/2020 9:21 PM, nickbatz wrote:
Assuming it's worth fixing them - if only to trade someone for something else - is it likely to make any serious difference what round 12" cone-shaped thing I put back there? Serious = commensurate with the quality of these speakers.

A passive radiator is just a driver without the motor. When you get an
"edge kit" you leave the original cone in place, so you don't have to
worry about matching the cone mass and stiffness, they thing that should
match the original is the stiffness of the suspension.

I have some Advent speakers that had foam rot. I'd never worked on a
speaker before so I was hesitant to operate on them, but figured that
for ten bucks or so I'd give it a try. It worked out just fine. The
hardest part is to get all the the old glue off the frame where the
suspension is attached.

I got my kit from Simply Speakers. Their web site gave me enough
confidence that I could do the job, and they were helpful with some
pre-purchase questions. You might take a look and see if they already
know what you need and can supply it.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/ of course.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/4/2020 9:21 PM, nickbatz wrote:
Assuming it's worth fixing them - if only to trade someone for something else - is it likely to make any serious difference what round 12" cone-shaped thing I put back there? Serious = commensurate with the quality of these speakers.

A passive radiator is just a driver without the motor. When you get an
"edge kit" you leave the original cone in place, so you don't have to
worry about matching the cone mass and stiffness, they thing that should
match the original is the stiffness of the suspension.

A lot of passive radiators, though, have the stiffness entirely the result
of the surround; there is no spider, no other suspension and so consequently
the surround has to be constructed differently and the surround needs to
be selected properly for the driver.

I have some Advent speakers that had foam rot. I'd never worked on a
speaker before so I was hesitant to operate on them, but figured that
for ten bucks or so I'd give it a try. It worked out just fine. The
hardest part is to get all the the old glue off the frame where the
suspension is attached.

In the case of speakers, the stiffness is mostly the result of the spider,
so you can swap out the surround with impunity without affecting the
driver Fs appreciably.

I got my kit from Simply Speakers. Their web site gave me enough
confidence that I could do the job, and they were helpful with some
pre-purchase questions. You might take a look and see if they already
know what you need and can supply it.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/ of course.

Passive radiators aren't expensive. The stiffness on them varies. If it
were me, I'd get one of every kind that Madisound sells, try them in turn,
and see which one gives most accurate low end. Then I'd buy a second one
of that model for the other speaker.

Somebody who actually knows those speakers can likely do better, and it's
possible some place like Simply Speakers or the Speaker Factory in
Gathersburg, MD might know them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 6/01/2020 12:53 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
[...]

A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
a port.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:

A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
a port.

That's beyond my ken.

I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 11:08:42 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:

A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
a port.

That's beyond my ken.

I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.

The software will do that for you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

nickbatz wrote:
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:

A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
a port.

That's beyond my ken.

I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.

Port or passive start out measuring impedance. The passive or port will
reduce woofer excursion over most of the low bass range, to almost none.
Selecting a frequency say around 50 Hz, putting hand near port will make
woofer move more. Adding some sticky gum to passive will do same thing. I
would first measure passive resonant frequency to see if it's proper. You
can visual tune very close to same watching impedance plots. Converting to
port is not always possible. Some of the other aspects get complicated, as
I read a very nice write up on the subject, beyond what I wanted to see.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro

nickbatz wrote:
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:

A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
a port.

That's beyond my ken.

I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.

WinISD will allow you to play with this to your heart's content.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 18:21:29 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
wrote:

[...]

If you have the TS parameters for the main driver, you can probably
design a port that will allow you to do away with the stupid passive
radiator. They are no more than a spring and a mass, just the same as
air in a port tube, but suffer added non-linearity due to the
suspension. Any subwoofer design software will let you do this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

Would WinISD be a good choice for this, Don? That's where I'd go first.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

WinISD is fine. You can put in the dimensions of your box, and let it
design the port.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

wrote:

[...]

A passive radiator is designed to match the main driver and do away
with the port. A port works fine at low volumes, but if a lot of air
needs to move it suffers from compression problems, especially if the
port is longer. Plus mid-range leakage if it is at the front. A
passive radiator does not have distortion problem any more than the
matching main driver, and can be the only solution if the port would
otherwise become too long.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

None of those "problems" is actually a problem. The passive driver is
just another piece of stuff to introduce its own problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Speaking of Mike's AR speakers, my theory is that big - with big boxes - ported speakers (including passive radiator designs) are capable of producing a more natural-sounding low end than sealed/acoustic suspension ones.

That's the main thing I like about my UREI monitors, warts and all: the low end just sounds overwhelmingly right. I suspect it has to do with acoustic compression making smaller speakers sound more like the sound is coming from a box.Maybe it's more than just the low end, it could be the lower mids too.

Now, I also have a Blue Sky System One setup - two sealed sats + a sub. They're much better for working on, and the sub goes all the way down. And they're really good, and nice to listen to.

But I can't help thinking that even though the NFM concept has been unquestioned for at least 40 years, there's still something you can only get from big-ass monitors.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 12:58:46 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
wrote:

[...]

I have decent large-ish sonus-faber speakers for mains and a 50 cubic
foot sub with a 15 inch Adire driver in it. That makes for very
relaxed bottom end, particularly as it is all integrated with
Sonarworks, which is so far the only software I know that measures
multiple (37) points in the room so it doesn't try to correct moding
nulls.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Okay, thanks very much everyone.

I have to listen and to get an idea of how much energy these speakers warrant putting into repairing them. It's not like I don't already have a bunch of very good ones.

Mike, I'm definitely not afraid to work on drivers - I even have a heat gun and glue, etc. But I'll have to see whether it's possible to salvage the cones. I only looked at them briefly and have been out all day.

My sense is that replacing the foam with similar foam will be close enough, same with the cones if necessary.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/5/2020 9:43 PM, nickbatz wrote:
I have to listen and to get an idea of how much energy these speakers warrant putting into repairing them. It's not like I don't already have a bunch of very good ones.

I really wish I could be more selective and brutal about what I keep. I
have a growing pile of non-working, semi-working, or
works-but-obsolete-and-has-already-been-functionally-replaced stuff -
useful, too nice to throw away, but questionable as to whether it's
worth the bother, time, and money to bring back to life.

I guess they'll go to the landfill along with me after I check out.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/5/2020 9:43 PM, nickbatz wrote:
I have to listen and to get an idea of how much energy these speakers warrant putting into repairing them. It's not like I don't already have a bunch of very good ones.

I really wish I could be more selective and brutal about what I keep. I
have a growing pile of non-working, semi-working, or
works-but-obsolete-and-has-already-been-functionally-replaced stuff -
useful, too nice to throw away, but questionable as to whether it's
worth the bother, time, and money to bring back to life.

I guess they'll go to the landfill along with me after I check out.

They will wind up at the Manassas Hamfest.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_] Michael Beacom[_4_] is offline

On 2020-01-06 17:50:57 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/5/2020 9:43 PM, nickbatz wrote:
I have to listen and to get an idea of how much energy these speakers
warrant putting into repairing them. It's not like I don't already have
a bunch of very good ones.

I really wish I could be more selective and brutal about what I keep. I
have a growing pile of non-working, semi-working, or
works-but-obsolete-and-has-already-been-functionally-replaced stuff -
useful, too nice to throw away, but questionable as to whether it's
worth the bother, time, and money to bring back to life.

I guess they'll go to the landfill along with me after I check out.

They will wind up at the Manassas Hamfest.
--scott

When is the Manassas Hamfest?
Havn't been to one in too long.
Cheers
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/7/2020 11:33 PM, Michael Beacom wrote:
When is the Manassas Hamfest?

https://w4ovh.net/welcome-to-manassas-hamfest/

June 13 this year. ARRL.org has a hamfest calendar on line

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Michael Beacom wrote:

When is the Manassas Hamfest?
Havn't been to one in too long.

June 13.

The next regional one would be the Richmond Frostfest on Feb 1. I think it's
actually bigger than Manassas these days although the weather is much worse.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 7:35:21 AM UTC-8, Mike Rivers wrote:

I really wish I could be more selective and brutal about what I keep.

We had rats in the garage two summers ago, which - because they're prolific - meant that everything in there had to be taken out and cleaned before being put back.

It took me and three other big guys a very long day, and I filled an entire construction trailer all the way up - you know, maybe 8' x 15' x 8' high - plus the back of the big pickup truck that hauled it - with 25 years of clutter.

Among my favorite throwings away were broken cassette decks, some old computers, two broken stereo receivers, one broken amp, some old printers, and my absolute favorite: three @#$)(@#$!!! laser printers (two to cannibalize for parts for the first) that invariably ended up with paper thrown away and toner all over the place.

I still have boxes of cables I'll never use. Who knows what's in all the cartons I didn't take the time to go through. Probably a couple of useful things.

But I'll either fix these speakers or get rid of them. They're too big to pile in the garage.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/6/2020 3:43 PM, nickbatz wrote:
But I'll either fix these speakers or get rid of them. They're too big to pile in the garage.

That's pretty much the same as what I say to myself when I put something
on the pile of things to fix. Trouble is that there doesn't seem to be a
statute of limitations for broken things to remain broken. It's a
benefit and a curse of living alone.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2020-01-06 15:35:17 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

On 1/5/2020 9:43 PM, nickbatz wrote:
I have to listen and to get an idea of how much energy these speakers
warrant putting into repairing them. It's not like I don't already have
a bunch of very good ones.

I really wish I could be more selective and brutal about what I keep. I
have a growing pile of non-working, semi-working, or
works-but-obsolete-and-has-already-been-functionally-replaced stuff -
useful, too nice to throw away, but questionable as to whether it's
worth the bother, time, and money to bring back to life.

I guess they'll go to the landfill along with me after I check out.

And let the mermaids flirt with you?
(https://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/inde..._Flirt_With_Me)

I'd offer to help with the stuff, but suffer from the same affliction.

Cheers
Mike