Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Where discuss car video?

I'm looking a pace to discuss various equip for car
video

I'm kicking around idea of traveling and living out of
a converted cargo van or small RV

Don't know anything abt car video tho

Is this subject ok to discuss here?

If yes...any advice on what reasonable costs system to
buy that would allow watching off air TV as well as DVD
movies?

Screen does not have to be huge as space I'm in will be
small. Maybe a max of 10" display?

Advice?
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yes, car video is frequently discussed here. In fact, I may speak to Ian
Bjorhove about changing the name of this group to rec.audio.video.car. I
wonder how difficult that would be? Hmmm.

In any case, the biggest factor involved in your system is how large a
monitor you want. You can get 7" screens for less than $100, but for a 10"
or 12" screen, you might be looking at $500 or more. DVD players designed
for the car have become very inexpensive in the last few years and can be
had for around $150.

MOSFET

wrote in message
I'm looking a pace to discuss various equip for car
video

I'm kicking around idea of traveling and living out of
a converted cargo van or small RV

Don't know anything abt car video tho

Is this subject ok to discuss here?

If yes...any advice on what reasonable costs system to
buy that would allow watching off air TV as well as DVD
movies?

Screen does not have to be huge as space I'm in will be
small. Maybe a max of 10" display?

Advice?

Posted to rec.audio.car

"MOSFET" wrote:

Yes, car video is frequently discussed here. In fact, I may speak to Ian
Bjorhove about changing the name of this group to rec.audio.video.car. I
wonder how difficult that would be? Hmmm.

That would be a very good idea if it can be done as my
news server doesn't list any car video groups at all

In any case, the biggest factor involved in your system is how large a
monitor you want. You can get 7" screens for less than $100, but for a 10"
or 12" screen, you might be looking at $500 or more. DVD players designed
for the car have become very inexpensive in the last few years and can be
had for around $150.

OK

Then lets go to 7-8" screen

I'm kicking around idea abt taking a sabbatical next
year and living and traveling out of a cargo van for a
few months

hence the questions abt car video and even car
computers if that's OK here as well

What are most using for car computer? Just get a
laptop? Let it do everything?
Posted to rec.audio.car

"MOSFET" wrote:

DVD players designed
for the car have become very inexpensive in the last few years and can be
had for around $150.

Yes I've seen them at walmart and such...but none have
a built in TV tuner that I can tell

Is it hard to find one with TV tuner built in?
Posted to rec.audio.car
Branden Nelsen

If you decide to go with the whole PC route. you might look at this link for
more info: http://indashpc.org/new/

-Branden

wrote in message
"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ian

MOSFET wrote:
Yes, car video is frequently discussed here. In fact, I may speak to Ian
Bjorhove about changing the name of this group to rec.audio.video.car. I
wonder how difficult that would be? Hmmm.

I don't think that it's worth the effort, and it's not really called
for. The rec.audio.car charter provides for discussions of car audio
and electronics (and video certainly falls in to that general category).

Creating a new Usenet group requires writing a charter, posting a "Call
for Discussion" (across various groups) for a period of time, and then
holding a vote.

There have been numerous attempts to change rec.audio.car in the past
(to create sub-groups like rec.audio.car.marketplace or similar, or to
moderate the group, etc.) and all have failed.

Posted to rec.audio.car

Ian wrote:

I don't think that it's worth the effort, and it's not really called
for. The rec.audio.car charter provides for discussions of car audio
and electronics (and video certainly falls in to that general category).

But it's hard to know that when only going by the name
of the group
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

The trouble is, Ian, most people don't take the time to read our charter.
Again, the very thread we are discussing this issue in proves my point (it
is not clear that video is discussed here). In fact, there may be others
who have a question about car video and decide NOT to post here because they
feel it doesn't fit.

Would it be THAT hard to change the name of the group to rec.multimedia.car
or something similar? I KNOW this issue has come up before and I KNOW that
RAC has been RAC for a VERY long time and I realize it is presumptuous of me
to want to mess with tradition. I just feel we could help more people with
a more descriptive name.

Nicholas Tanner aka MOSFET

"Ian" wrote in message
I'm looking a pace to discuss various equip for car
video

This is the right group! Per the original rec.audio.car
charter:

"This newsgroup will be used to discuss matters of car
audio and electronics. Topics to be included a car
stereos, car alarms, cellular phones, car audio competitions,
etc."

Ian Bjorhovde
rec.audio.car FAQ Maintainer

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:
The trouble is, Ian, most people don't take the time to read our charter.
Again, the very thread we are discussing this issue in proves my point (it
is not clear that video is discussed here). In fact, there may be others
who have a question about car video and decide NOT to post here because they
feel it doesn't fit.

Well if you can't figure out that "rec.audio.car" is the closest thing
available, you're probably too dense to be driving in the first place

Would it be THAT hard to change the name of the group to rec.multimedia.car
or something similar?

Yes, it would.

First, you can't just arbitrarily change newsgroup names - you'd have to
create a NEW group with the name you want. Using your example, that
alone would first require creating a rec.multimedia heirarchy, and you'd
need a good reason for THAT. As Ian pointed out, that would have to go
through its own process - create charter, request discussion, etc.

Second, that name is just as misleading, because "multimedia" is more
commonly used to the describe CONTENT, not HARDWARE - if I saw
"rec.multimedia.car" I'd expect to find audio and video clips (or
discussions thereof) of cars, car racing, car crashes, etc. (note that
there is an alt.multimedia heirarchy, consisting of the likes of
a.m.cu-seeme, a.m.director, a.m.emblazen... basically structured for
topics about multimedia SOFTWARE).

I KNOW this issue has come up before and I KNOW that
RAC has been RAC for a VERY long time and I realize it is presumptuous of me
to want to mess with tradition. I just feel we could help more people with
a more descriptive name.

There's nothing stopping you from creating your own group(s)... again,
you just need to follow the proper process and demostrate that there's a
need or desire for it/them. Once such group(s) is/are created, getting
people to go there is a whole other task.

Back in the early days of the 'net people could just randomly create
newsgroups with few controls on the process, and so you end up with
group names like "alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die" - and because of how
the heirarchy structure works, you also have alt.ensign,
alt.ensign.wesley, alt.ensign.wesley.die, and
alt.ensign.wesley.die.die... none of which actually contain any posts,
except for a.e.w.d.d.die, which on my ISP's server contains a single
spam message... it gets really ridiculous, really fast.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I didn't realize that changing the name of this group would mean basically
having to create an ENTIRELY new group. I would never expect EVERYONE to
follow me over (like some pied piper of car audio) to the new group.
"Rec.audio.car" is just too embedded in the internet and car audio world.
Furthermore, changing the name would likely create more problems than it
would solve.

Well, that settles that. Oh well, it was JUST an idea.

MOSFET

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:
I didn't realize that changing the name of this group would mean basically
having to create an ENTIRELY new group.

What did you expect? Even if you JUST changed the name, everyone whose
newsreaders are connecting to 'rec.audio.car' would find it mysteriously
disappeared, or worse, their readers would just keep displaying the
cached headers without ever showing any new posts; someone who doesn't
read EVERY thread or only checks in occaisionally-to-rarely would
probably never know where everyone had gone all of a sudden, they'd just
find a dead group.

I would never expect EVERYONE to
follow me over (like some pied piper of car audio) to the new group.
"Rec.audio.car" is just too embedded in the internet and car audio world.
Furthermore, changing the name would likely create more problems than it
would solve.

Well, that settles that. Oh well, it was JUST an idea.

Like I said, there's nothing stopping you from creating a new group
dedicated to in-car video or whatever... just expect that it's going to
require a fair bit of work and attention, it's not just something you
can do on a whim.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Agave

wrote:
"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

IMHO, if you're planning trips to unfamiliar territories, consider
getting a navigation system. I did. And, haven't regretted it...or the
Sirius satellite radio I installed with it. The nav system comes in
handy around my home-base too when trying to find short-cuts or
alternate routes. I could go on and on, but it would read like an
advertisement. :-)

AFA a car computer, right now I just tote along my notebook PC. At some
point, I'll be looking into a fully integrated carputer (with navigation
of course).

Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek

Most people do not go by the name. They generally search keywords and get a
list of newsgroup. There is hardly any hierarchy display of the groups
anyway.

wrote in message
| Ian wrote:
|
| I don't think that it's worth the effort, and it's not really called
| for. The rec.audio.car charter provides for discussions of car audio
| and electronics (and video certainly falls in to that general category).
|
| But it's hard to know that when only going by the name
| of the group

Posted to rec.audio.car

Agave wrote:

IMHO, if you're planning trips to unfamiliar territories, consider
getting a navigation system.

Oh yeah....will do the GPS thing

Thing is...I'm trying to determine if I want this stuff
"built-in" the vehicle..or separate stand alone
components that can be used in vehicle as well as taken
out and walked with
Posted to rec.audio.car

Matt Ion wrote:

Well if you can't figure out that "rec.audio.car" is the closest thing
available, you're probably too dense to be driving in the first place

I couldn't figure it out and I'm neither dense nor have
problems driving
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ian

MOSFET wrote:
In fact, there may be others
who have a question about car video and decide NOT to post here because they
feel it doesn't fit.

Heh, I wish it was true that people would only post subjects were
expressly called out in the group's charter. Exhibit #1: bob wald

Would it be THAT hard to change the name of the group to rec.multimedia.car
or something similar? I KNOW this issue has come up before and I KNOW that
RAC has been RAC for a VERY long time and I realize it is presumptuous of me
to want to mess with tradition. I just feel we could help more people with
a more descriptive name.

As Matt said, it's not that simple. Create new group, try to convince
everyone to move over to the new group, and then potentially eliminate
RAC. And that's assuming you could actually successfully complete the
process of creating the new group.

The point is, the OP did the right thing - he was smart enough to figure
out that RAC is the closest group, and he even had the Netiquette to ask
if this is the correct group!

Ian Bjorhovde
rec.audio.car FAQ Maintainer
Posted to rec.audio.car
Agave

wrote:
Agave wrote:

IMHO, if you're planning trips to unfamiliar territories, consider
getting a navigation system.

Oh yeah....will do the GPS thing

Thing is...I'm trying to determine if I want this stuff
"built-in" the vehicle..or separate stand alone
components that can be used in vehicle as well as taken
out and walked with

I went through a similar quandary. My decision to go with an integrated
unit (the AVIC-N1) was based upon ease of use and driving safety. The
voice control, not just voice directions, makes it safe to control the
unit with voice commands while driving, as well as the optional remote
mounted on the steering wheel adds to the driving safety. IMO, the
mapping screen is also easier to see because it's larger than the
hand-held nav units.

For me, I figured if I ever needed to use a hand-held nav unit, I'd buy
a separate one specifically for walking around and mountain biking. As
for the multimedia stuff, I'm not one who goes around with ear buds
while I'm hiking or MTBing...or anything else for that matter, so having
portable audio/video isn't an issue for me.

FWIW, the first Sirius unit I bought was a PNP model that could be
removed from my truck and placed in a docking station hooked up to my
home stereo or a boom box...I never took the Sirius unit out of the
truck :-) . The new replacement Sirius unit interfaces directly to the
AVIC HU and is mounted in the truck. The new unit doesn't have all of
the capabilities of some of the SA units, but for me it does enough and
is controlled through the same remote as the AVIC.

For the new AVIC units, there was alot of griping going on about not
being able to override the features that are disabled while the vehicle
is in motion. I don't know if the hackers have figured out a way to
override this safety feature. In any event, you should be aware that
this issue may exist and see if it impacts your decision. This link may
give you some additional info:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...asp?FID=9&PN=0

Pet Peeve - Pioneer charges way too much for its updated map and POI DVDs.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yeh, no kidding! Hey, how about you moderate this group, Ian? Sound like
fun? We could be rid of Bob Wald once and for all.

Nick

"Ian" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:
Yeh, no kidding! Hey, how about you moderate this group, Ian? Sound like
fun? We could be rid of Bob Wald once and for all.

Ahh, to dream... unfortunately that isn't just that simple either -
you're looking at creating anopther new group, rec.audio.car.moderated,
and then needing to set up the whole moderating process... foe someone
who just needs to pop in and ask a question and may never come back, the
whole posting-approval process may simply prove to be too much effort...
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ian

MOSFET wrote:
Yeh, no kidding! Hey, how about you moderate this group, Ian? Sound like
fun? We could be rid of Bob Wald once and for all.

Moderating RAC was tried a few times (and obviously failed, too).

Ian

shielding rca/component video J Tech 12 February 6th 06 01:59 PM
Synching Audio and Video: Newby Music Promo Production [email protected] Pro Audio 14 August 7th 05 04:27 AM
Wordclock&SMPTE in Composer/Digital system Rob Reedijk Pro Audio 7 February 10th 05 03:12 PM
FS: 400 Closeouts!! Video Game, Computer, Mobile A/V, Personal A/V Nexxon Car Audio 0 April 30th 04 07:53 AM
How to get video and/or audio tape to web site? ryanm Pro Audio 0 September 16th 03 12:47 AM