lbridges

Default IB Mounting under a rear deck

I think I'm going to mount a couple of tens under my rear deck and use
the existing 6X9 holes for the sound path - much like Scott Buwalda
did in his Altima.

However, lacking his skill, here's my plan and question:

(FYI, I don't want to mod the interior trim, or make major cuts in the
deck, & I want max trunk space...I know, wants his cake & eat it too).

I plan to use a Corian (sp?) panel, mount the woofers to that, and
then put the whole thing up under the rear deck.

Problem: The rear deck underside isn't smooth - two metal layers,
both stamped panels, with variations up to approx 1/2" .

Question: What would you recommend I use to seal the baffle to the
deck.

BTW, I already thought about expanding foam, but that's so messy... I
would prefer a cleaner solution if you have one to suggest.
Budgetaudio

Do you think caulk would work? What about body filler/bondo? Be careful in
closed spaces with this stuff, fumes. Also, you definitely want to make sure
there are no vibrations, that would ruin the sound. Nothing like a vibrating
rear panel.

Troy
carbudgetaudio.com
Peter Klein

Don't use a sealed enclosure and expec the bass to "rise" up through the
holes. Find someone who can build a bandpass enclosure to the Thiel
parameters of your woofer. Have him compute so the port (square so it won't
whistle) can be partially external, and rise out of the top, under the rear
deck and through it with a square, sealable opening. The bass will fire into
the INTERIOR of your vehicle, imagine! P.

"lbridges" wrote in message
I think I'm going to mount a couple of tens under my rear deck and use
the existing 6X9 holes for the sound path - much like Scott Buwalda
did in his Altima.

However, lacking his skill, here's my plan and question:

(FYI, I don't want to mod the interior trim, or make major cuts in the
deck, & I want max trunk space...I know, wants his cake & eat it too).

I plan to use a Corian (sp?) panel, mount the woofers to that, and
then put the whole thing up under the rear deck.

Problem: The rear deck underside isn't smooth - two metal layers,
both stamped panels, with variations up to approx 1/2" .

Question: What would you recommend I use to seal the baffle to the
deck.

BTW, I already thought about expanding foam, but that's so messy... I
would prefer a cleaner solution if you have one to suggest.

sancho

"Peter Klein" wrote in message

Don't use a sealed enclosure and expec the bass to "rise" up through the
holes. Find someone who can build a bandpass enclosure to the Thiel
parameters of your woofer. Have him compute so the port (square so it

won't
whistle) can be partially external, and rise out of the top, under the

rear
deck and through it with a square, sealable opening. The bass will fire

into
the INTERIOR of your vehicle, imagine! P.

/me shakes head and looks for his aspirin
--
sancho

lbridges

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:35:10 GMT, "Peter Klein"
wrote:

Don't use a sealed enclosure and expec the bass to "rise" up through the
holes. Find someone who can build a bandpass enclosure to the Thiel
parameters of your woofer. Have him compute so the port (square so it won't
whistle) can be partially external, and rise out of the top, under the rear
deck and through it with a square, sealable opening. The bass will fire into
the INTERIOR of your vehicle, imagine! P.

"lbridges" wrote in message
.. .
I think I'm going to mount a couple of tens under my rear deck and use
the existing 6X9 holes for the sound path - much like Scott Buwalda
did in his Altima.

However, lacking his skill, here's my plan and question:

(FYI, I don't want to mod the interior trim, or make major cuts in the
deck, & I want max trunk space...I know, wants his cake & eat it too).

I plan to use a Corian (sp?) panel, mount the woofers to that, and
then put the whole thing up under the rear deck.

Problem: The rear deck underside isn't smooth - two metal layers,
both stamped panels, with variations up to approx 1/2" .

Question: What would you recommend I use to seal the baffle to the
deck.

BTW, I already thought about expanding foam, but that's so messy... I
would prefer a cleaner solution if you have one to suggest.

Peter, Not to be insulting, because I thank you for taking the time
to offer a suggestion; but, you need to re-read what I asked. I'm not
intending to run a sealed box & expect the bass to "rise". Also, I am
looking for a balanced, SQ, install that is very hard to achieve
(IMHO) using a bandpass arrangement.

Restating, I want to mount two woofers in an infinite baffle
arrangement under my rear deck. I know how to do IB, I know how to
physically mount the baffle, all with no issues. My question was
relating to how to seal the baffle board to the rear deck because the
rear deck is a stamped steel piece that isn't flat - the stampings
vary in depth about 1/2". From the short look I got at Scott's
machine I believe he has his baffle board free of the rear deck except
at the perimeters (maybe with interior attachments - couldn't tell -
didn't ask. I simply don't have enough skills to effectively
physically, acoustically, and air-leak wise acheive such a mount.

So I propose to securely mount the baffle to the deck, then fill the
gaps with something to ensure vibration is damped, and air leaks are
contained. How to best accomplish this last thing is what I was
aking.