Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Aftermarket install on 97 Ford Premium system

Hi all...I am very frusterated and any advice that you have to offer
would be greatly appreciated...here's my situation...

I have a 97 Ford Ranger with the "Premium" sound system in it. I bought
an amp/sub/CD receiver/speakers to upgrade the whole thing. Speakers
have gone great, now I am to the receiver.

I have a wiring harness specifically for the ford premium sound system,
and one of the plugs on the harness fits right into one coming from the
dash (long rectangle, contains 12v batt, accessory, amp power-on, etc),
but the other plug on the harness that contains all the speaker wires
has nowhere to plug into. I have already been back to the store once
because they gave me a standard wiring harness, and the instructions on
the premium harness are cryptic.

I have looked around crutchfield with little success...the installation
package on my harness says something about getting a factory amp
bypass...? Does the fat, square plug on my harness have something to do
with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
yappari

my best friend has the same car w/ the same system, we couldn't even
find any harness at the local shops and he didn't want to wait for one
online is i just cut off the wires from the car's harness, bought a bag
of wire caps and got my wire crimper and attached them like that. if
you don't plan on putting the old deck back, i'd just do that, the
harnesses are like about 15-20 bucks right? a crimp is 10 and a bag of
wire caps is like 3-4 bucks, and u get to keep the crimp

--
yappari
Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

harnesses are like about 15-20 bucks

a crimp is 10 and a bag of wire caps is like 3-4 bucks

Being a hack is priceless!!!

In article , yappari
wrote:

my best friend has the same car w/ the same system, we couldn't even
find any harness at the local shops and he didn't want to wait for one
online is i just cut off the wires from the car's harness, bought a bag
of wire caps and got my wire crimper and attached them like that. if
you don't plan on putting the old deck back, i'd just do that, the
harnesses are like about 15-20 bucks right? a crimp is 10 and a bag of
wire caps is like 3-4 bucks, and u get to keep the crimp

Posted to rec.audio.car

Right...in that wiring harness, any thoughts on where the hell the
black square plug goes?

Captain Howdy wrote:
For the radio your wiring harness should look like this.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFDK10

The a amp bypass looks like this.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFD07B

Both of the FDK10 & FD07 are sold under the Scosche brand name at your local
Wal-Mart.

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

There should have been two plugs that you have removed from the back of the
factory radio no?

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

There are two plugs. The first fits perfectly into the long, skinny,
rectangular plug that is in that three plug wiring harness link you
gave. The second would fit perfectly into the green plug (if I had
one). If I need to I can pick up the green plug and a amplifier bypass
easily enough, but that leaves the question...where the deuce does the
black square plug go?

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

You don't use both, you would use the black (8 pin) or the green (16 pin)
plug. I don't think that you can buy just the green plug without getting the
power plug again. Go back to where you bought it and tell them that you need
the (16 pin) plug, they might just trade it for the 8 pin plug. Scosche gives
you both in their FDK10 other manufacturers may only offer one or the other.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

*sigh* I wish I knew more about cars.

So I went back (again) and got both the 16 pin and the harness bypass.
I had hoped that this would finally work...but alas...

The 16 pin does work, so it looks like the receiver is ready to
go...but the wiring harness does not fit the plugs in the factory amp.
One side does fit, but the second is much smaller and more square
shaped. I haven't seen anything about this anywhere, so I am totally
stumped. The harness I have is the same as the one in the link you
sent. It has to be the right harness...what the hell am I missing now?

Also, I plugged the receiver in with the factory amp all still in
place, just to see if I could get power. Nothing. Could this be because
of the amp, or did I screw something up in the wiring? I may not have
had a solid ground...

I really appreciate the help...I am almost ready to take it to the
install bay and get charged way too much for a crappy job...

Travis

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

The problem with Ford is that they offer too many radio options, the ranger
came with 3 options, Standard, Mack, and JBL, and they all have different
harnesses.

I know the harness that you are talking about it looks like this
http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...8&ItemID=FD15B

As for your head unit, If you had the power harness (the L shaped one) hooked
up you should of got it to light up. All of your power and ground connections
come from that harness. Double check and make sure that the constant and
switched power wires along with the ground wire are hooked up correctly. This
is not an area of the install where you want to make mistakes, because simply
reversing any of the power wires with the ground will fry your head unit
and/or pop your fuse. If you feel unsure about doing this correctly, take the
radio and it's harness along with the two Ford harnesses to an install shop
and they can wire the 3 harnesses for you. It may cost you a few bucks, but
it's cheaper then frying your head unit.

In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

Nah, I had it wired up all correctly, the deck that I had just didn't
have a fuse in it. I now have power going to the deck and it seems to
be functioning alright. I do not, however, have any sound going to the
speakers. Best Buy gave me the wrong amp bypass (again, fourth time
now) so i still have everything running through the factory amp. This
is the only thing that I can think of as far as the sound not working?

I really appreciate the help, I have always wanted to learn this stuff
but never had the opportunity.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
JC

Me again. Got it all figured out - didn't have the remote wire attached
to the amp turn on for the factory amp. As soon as I did this,
everything works great.

My question now is - am I asking for trouble running at 45Wx4 head
through the factory amp? Or should I go ahead and get that bypass
cable? The setup soundsIt's sounds great through the factory amp, I'm
just afraid that too much use is going to toast my amp, which would
suck for when I revert back to old stereo to sell the truck.

Thoughts?

wrote:
[...]

It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 1/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 August 9th 05 07:30 AM
Doppler Distortion - Fact or Fiction Bob Cain Pro Audio 266 August 17th 04 06:50 AM