Waves1202

Default WTB: (1) STEPHENS TRUSONIC 80FR

Want to buy one (1) STEPHENS TRUSONIC 80FR in stock and working condition
Troglodite

Want to buy one (1) STEPHENS TRUSONIC 80FR in stock and working condition

I have a pair of 80FR's that are "almost" stock. I was in the speaker cabinet
manufacturing business in 1960. I bought about 200 80FR's from Stephens at that
time. (Shortly after Burt Berlandt joined the company.) They are the standard
80FR build with two exceptions: The cast baskets are unpainted, and the
connections are solder terminals rather than the binding posts. I kept about 4
of these drivers for 40 years. I have just the two left. They are in excellent
condition. Please tell me why you want this particular speaker. (It will help
me decide whether I want to part with them, assuming you want them.)

Doug Moore

Harry Lavo

"Troglodite" wrote in message
Want to buy one (1) STEPHENS TRUSONIC 80FR in stock and working condition

I have a pair of 80FR's that are "almost" stock. I was in the speaker

cabinet
manufacturing business in 1960. I bought about 200 80FR's from Stephens at

that
time. (Shortly after Burt Berlandt joined the company.) They are the

standard
80FR build with two exceptions: The cast baskets are unpainted, and the
connections are solder terminals rather than the binding posts. I kept

about 4
of these drivers for 40 years. I have just the two left. They are in

excellent
condition. Please tell me why you want this particular speaker. (It will

help
me decide whether I want to part with them, assuming you want them.)

Those were the sweetest little 8-inchers of that era. Why would you want to
part with them, even for sentimental value?

Troglodite

Those were the sweetest little 8-inchers of that era. Why would you want to
part with them, even for sentimental value?

I'm now 65 years old. My hearing is 6dB down at 4200Hz. Yes, I have a
sentimental attachment to them, I knew Burt Berlandt from his Concertone days.
But, there might be someone out there with even more passion for these, who
also has ears that can still appreciate their subtleties. In that case, they
would be better off in a new home. (I'm not using them right now anyway, I'm
still happy with my old Jensens.) Does that make sense to you?

Choky

attitude for respect!!

--
.................................................. ........................
Choky

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM
"Troglodite" wrote in message

Those were the sweetest little 8-inchers of that era. Why would you want

part with them, even for sentimental value?

I'm now 65 years old. My hearing is 6dB down at 4200Hz. Yes, I have a
sentimental attachment to them, I knew Burt Berlandt from his Concertone

days.
But, there might be someone out there with even more passion for these,

who
also has ears that can still appreciate their subtleties. In that case,

they
would be better off in a new home. (I'm not using them right now anyway,

I'm
still happy with my old Jensens.) Does that make sense to you?

Troglodite

attitude for respect!!

Why thank you sir. It's amazing anyone even notices these days. The guy that
posted the original inquiry has not been back. Guess he wanted the painted
baskets even though no one can see them when they're in a box. :-)

Harry Lavo

"Troglodite" wrote in message

Those were the sweetest little 8-inchers of that era. Why would you want

part with them, even for sentimental value?

I'm now 65 years old. My hearing is 6dB down at 4200Hz. Yes, I have a
sentimental attachment to them, I knew Burt Berlandt from his Concertone

days.
But, there might be someone out there with even more passion for these,

who
also has ears that can still appreciate their subtleties. In that case,

they
would be better off in a new home. (I'm not using them right now anyway,

I'm
still happy with my old Jensens.) Does that make sense to you?

Didn't mean to sound so dissapproving...just that I found having spent a
lifetime sorting out the stuff that *really* sounds good, I am loath to give
it up for any reason. But I do understand...I'm just a few months younger
and recently sold my Linn/Syrinx turntable and VTL power amp because I had
backups that sounded nearly as good and needed to free up cash for my
fixed-income retirement. Practicalities do enter in, don't they?

Glad you think of them "finding a good home'. That's how I felt letting go
of my component-kids, as well.

Troglodite

Glad you think of them "finding a good home'. That's how I felt letting go
of my component-kids, as well.

It isn't always easy. I spent three years of "spare" time rebuilding an old
communications receiver. I cursed and moaned over it, but loved every minute. I
really cherished it when it was done. A few years later, I found another one,
and knowing when it was finished I'd have no place to put it, I gave the first
one away. I'm a bit of an odd duck, but your priorities do change when you
fully realize the time you have left is short.

abajaj11

If you send me an email address, I will tell you all about my experiences
with them.
PLease email me at

Don Nicol Don Nicol is offline
Junior Member

I realize this is an old thread but your involvement with Stephens speakers led me to conclude that you might know the best cabinet plans for the 80 fr. I have a pair and would like to maximize their bass response.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodite View Post