Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

Default Need to learn how to hook midi keyboard up to new sound card - midi plays, no connection - hlp pls!!

I am trying to use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with my midi keyboard. I just
purchased a new sound card (cheap) and hooked up the OUTPUT from the
MIDI to the input on the audio card.

The audio card is the Vibra128 and I have installed all the software
with it. The sound seems to work fine with regular music.

Do I need to install soundfonts or something to get this to work?
When I start up Cakewalk, there is a little keyboard like icon in the
bottom right corner, but the lights never vary as I play the keyboard
making me believe it is not receiving the signal. Maybe faulty sound
card? How could I check?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

"David De" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with my midi keyboard. I just
purchased a new sound card (cheap) and hooked up the OUTPUT from the
MIDI to the input on the audio card.

The audio card is the Vibra128 and I have installed all the software
with it. The sound seems to work fine with regular music.

Do I need to install soundfonts or something to get this to work?
When I start up Cakewalk, there is a little keyboard like icon in the
bottom right corner, but the lights never vary as I play the keyboard
making me believe it is not receiving the signal. Maybe faulty sound
card? How could I check?

Try plugging the plug labeled "output" into your midi out. Sounds unlogical,
but many soundcard midi cable manufacturers get this the wrong way and label
the plugs according to the sockets they should be plugged into, for dumb
users.

Bm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
theorganloft theorganloft is offline

On Oct 4, 7:39 am, David De
wrote:
Yes, I have tried that, using different combinations - no go.

On Oct 4, 3:17 am, "Badmuts" wrote:

"David De" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Bm- Hide quoted text -

If I am understanding you correctly, you want MIDI to play sound.
MIDI does not play sound. In cakewalk, you tell your track to connect
to your MIDI interface and then send that down Channel 1 or up to
Channel 16 etc. Your configured VST instrument in Cakewalk or your
external sound module listens for the MIDI channel that it is
configured for and plays the assigned sound.

You tell your VST instrument or the sound module to listem on channel
1 and you can assign a grand piano for example.

The sound you are looking for is the result of the MIDI playing the
VST (vitual intrument) or a sound module. That VST can send the sound
into your computer assigned output sound interface. In Cakewalk, it
uses BUSES and you can assign VST intruments and traks to the buses.

Hope this helps.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On Oct 4, 7:55 am, theorganloft wrote:
On Oct 4, 7:39 am, David De
wrote:

Yes, I have tried that, using different combinations - no go.

On Oct 4, 3:17 am, "Badmuts" wrote:

"David De" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Yeah but he should still see the system tray controller lights flash
Imho.
If it don't he has to set it up right in Pro audio. And that I don't
remember how since I almost never used it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
theorganloft theorganloft is offline

On Oct 3, 5:02 pm, David De
wrote:
I am trying to use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with my midi keyboard. I just
purchased a new sound card (cheap) and hooked up the OUTPUT from the
MIDI to the input on the audio card.

Is that MIDI keyboard USB. If yes, are the drivers properly installed?

The audio card is the Vibra128 and I have installed all the software
with it. The sound seems to work fine with regular music.

The sound board has nothing to do with getting the MIDI keyboard to
talk to MIDI on the computer unless there is a MIDI interface on the
card.

I think you have a Midi interface problem.

Do I need to install soundfonts or something to get this to work?
When I start up Cakewalk, there is a little keyboard like icon in the
bottom right corner, but the lights never vary as I play the keyboard
making me believe it is not receiving the signal. Maybe faulty sound
card? How could I check?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

There is a 15 pin midi interface on the sound card. My keyboard is
NOT USB. Sound works fine with regular music on my sound card.
When I play the keyboard (with it plugged into the computer midi
card), the sound comes out of the keyboard speakers and NOT the
Computer speakers. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

On Oct 4, 11:56 am, theorganloft wrote:
On Oct 3, 5:02 pm, David De
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

wrote:

[...]

Well I'm not sure you understand midi well.
Midi won't give you audio output until you tell your SOFTWARE
(cakewalk pro audio) to chose a sound for the incoming midi DATA ( NOT
SOUND ).
Only then you will have sound from your computer speakers.
The SOFTWARE on your computer produces SOUND, and your keyboard sends
the NOTE pressed. (not the sound of the note pressed)
Another way of doing this is unplugging your midi keyboard and miking
your keyboard. (you'll hear both speakers at the same time [keyb
speakers+computer speakers)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

That is why I am asking, I don't really understand it at all.
I downloaded a file called Midi test and played it - it plays fine on
my computer.

Well I'm not sure you understand midi well.
Midi won't give you audio output until you tell your SOFTWARE
(cakewalk pro audio) to chose a sound for the incoming midi DATA ( NOT
SOUND ).
Only then you will have sound from your computer speakers.
The SOFTWARE on your computer produces SOUND, and your keyboard sends
the NOTE pressed. (not the sound of the note pressed)
Another way of doing this is unplugging your midi keyboard and miking
your keyboard. (you'll hear both speakers at the same time [keyb
speakers+computer speakers)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
studiorat studiorat is offline

MIDI cables don't actually carry the audio. Midi is just performance
information, what note you play, how hard, how long etc. I expect you
already know that! The DAW will record this and let you manipulate
that performance. Knew that too? Ok, you gotta make sure that you are
transmitting on and recieving on the same midi channel, try set the
keyboard to transmit MIDI in omni, all MIDI channels.

Now in your DAW session set up a MIDI track or instrument or whatever
and make sure that is assigned to recieve on that particular channel.
That track is then set up to either send MIDI either back to the
Keyboard or another keyboard or module, or to route the midi to a
synth or sampler in the DAW. Knew that too? then read the manual.
Regards,
Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

On Oct 4, 10:17 pm, studiorat wrote:
MIDI cables don't actually carry the audio. Midi is just performance
information, what note you play, how hard, how long etc. I expect you
already know that! The DAW will record this and let you manipulate
that performance. Knew that too? Ok, you gotta make sure that you are
transmitting on and recieving on the same midi channel, try set the
keyboard to transmit MIDI in omni, all MIDI channels.

I have set both the keyboard Channel and the Cakewalk channel to 1.

Now in your DAW session set up a MIDI track or instrument or whatever
and make sure that is assigned to recieve on that particular channel.
That track is then set up to either send MIDI either back to the
Keyboard or another keyboard or module, or to route the midi to a
synth or sampler in the DAW. Knew that too? then read the manual.
Regards,
Dave

Read the manual back to front. Still no help from it. Thanks though.
I have noticed a yellow exclamation mark in my device control panel -
multimedia controller - I wonder if this is what is giving me the
problem?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

My error in the Device Panel was the onboard audio was switched on in
the Bios, but it still did NOT fix my midi problem. So, now it comes
down whether the cable is broken, the physical midi card is the
culprit or it is the keyboard.

Read the manual back to front. Still no help from it. Thanks though.
I have noticed a yellow exclamation mark in my device control panel -
multimedia controller - I wonder if this is what is giving me the
problem?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] lecomptedesaintgermain@gmail.com is offline

My money's on the cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

It is going to be difficult to check the cable though. I looked and
all the pins are solid and straight - it hasn't been used in about 6
months and used to work, so I am not sure about that.
My old computer had a midi built into the motherboard, this new board
did not, so I had to buy the soundcard with it. I am starting to
think it is this cheap soundcard or a conflict somewhere.

On Oct 5, 10:14 am, wrote:
My money's on the cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On Oct 5, 10:53 am, David De
wrote:
It is going to be difficult to check the cable though. I looked and
all the pins are solid and straight - it hasn't been used in about 6
months and used to work, so I am not sure about that.
My old computer had a midi built into the motherboard, this new board
did not, so I had to buy the soundcard with it. I am starting to
think it is this cheap soundcard or a conflict somewhere.

On Oct 5, 10:14 am, wrote:

My money's on the cable.

When you have an exclamation mark on a device, you must FIX it.
Go in the properties and READ.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

It's been fixed. I stated that above in a previous reply. It was the
on-board audio in the bios that was conflicting with the soundcard.
The onboard audio is now turned off.
That fixed the Exclamation mark, but the MIDI is still not being read
from the keyboard, so my issue is still very much alive.

On Oct 5, 11:37 am, Julien BH wrote:

On Oct 5, 10:14 am, wrote:

My money's on the cable.

When you have an exclamation mark on a device, you must FIX it.
Go in the properties and READ.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
lawapa lawapa is offline

On Oct 5, 10:14 am, wrote:

My money's on the cable.

When you have an exclamation mark on a device, you must FIX it.
Go in the properties and READ.- Hide quoted text -

In the tracks view Options global/midi devices/ your input device must
be selected and then restart ProA. Then in the midi track that device
must be selected for midi to be recorded in the track. If your sound
card supports midi it will be in the option drop down for midi
devices. Some cards have direct midi ins/outs and some rely through
the serial port with a adapter cable___serial plug with midi in/out
female. PA 9 IS VERY OLD it might run on a newer comp and might not
depending on what v DX your running. But you must determine what
device your running midi on and select that in the midi track you wish
to record. Set track to omni mode that way it will capture any midi
channel.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

Break-throughs always come at a price, huh? I managed to get an older
computer up and running that was sitting in storage running on Win98
(runs like molasses). This computer is about 7 years old but has a
midi out. I tried MidiOX and hooked my keyboard up to it - I turned
on the input and hit the keys on the concertmate 1500, immediately it
started showing the musical keys. The cable, the concertmate all
work. Now, it is either the sound card or a conflict with the
motherboard on my new XP machine. I am thinking it is a conflict. I
don't really want to re-format the hard drive for this, but I might
spend some money and get a midi/joystick card that works with the
internal motherboard midi pins. I feel though something is impeding
the transfer of information. How to figure this out, I am not sure.
I have uninstalled all of the drivers and soundcard information (I
believe) from the computer and rebooted. The card is found again and
it starts all over, but still no joy. I might go into Safe Mode and
see if there is something there that I missed. Any other advise to
get this working?

On Oct 6, 8:15 pm, lawapa wrote:

On Oct 5, 10:14 am, wrote:

My money's on the cable.

When you have an exclamation mark on a device, you must FIX it.
Go in the properties and READ.- Hide quoted text -

In the tracks view Options global/midi devices/ your input device must
be selected and then restart ProA. Then in the midi track that device
must be selected for midi to be recorded in the track. If your sound
card supports midi it will be in the option drop down for midi
devices. Some cards have direct midi ins/outs and some rely through
the serial port with a adapter cable___serial plug with midi in/out
female. PA 9 IS VERY OLD it might run on a newer comp and might not
depending on what v DX your running. But you must determine what
device your running midi on and select that in the midi track you wish
to record. Set track to omni mode that way it will capture any midi
channel.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

Quick question : I am deleting all the files for the Soundblaster and
the Creative Vibra - BUT should I go into the Device Manager and
delete the files that are associated with media control devices : in
the MEDIA DEVICE CONTROL PROPERTIES - they look like a bunch of .dll -
MSIwave.dll , MCIseq.dll etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David De David De is offline

Well, I gave up on the Audio card and went and purchased an adapter
for the internal midi on my Asus motherboard. Works great. I wish I
had done this 1 week ago...

Midi Keyboard adam Pro Audio 0 December 7th 06 08:52 PM
Midi connection for Palm piot 3c? Andrew Springman Pro Audio 2 December 7th 04 10:52 PM
Software MIDI keyboard OldBluesman Pro Audio 0 August 5th 04 04:32 PM
Flat midi keyboard? stef Pro Audio 14 October 20th 03 08:15 PM
Best $200-$300 sound card with midi Larry Webb Pro Audio 1 August 13th 03 02:30 PM