Garthrr

Default HHB repair dilemma

I have an HHB CDR 850 which began to act funny earlier this year. It began to
intermittantly not recognize valid CDRs and then began refusing to enter record
mode and/or to finalize discs. I took it to a local repair shop but they were
unable to repair it and suggested factory repair. I located the closest repair
shops (all of which are more than 100 miles away) and was told by one shop that
it was likely a repair that would cost $750 -$900. Another place guessed at
about $350-$500. This seems exhorbitant to me for a unit that originally cost
$1100. I hate to just give up on having it fixed.
Can anyone recommend a reputable and honest repair shop that works on HHB CDR
units. I guess distance from me is not much of an object because it will
apparently have to be shipped in any event. However, I am near San Francisco.
Thanks for any help,

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

it was likely a repair that would cost $750 -$900. Another place guessed at
about $350-$500. This seems exhorbitant to me for a unit that originally cost
$1100. I hate to just give up on having it fixed.

I hate when that happens, but it's been happening more and more these
days. The pile of things that don't work but are too expensive to
throw away is getting higher.

Can anyone recommend a reputable and honest repair shop that works on HHB CDR
units.

I suspect that both of those estimates are fairly honest. It's not
likely that there's anything they can do but replace the transport.
While you might be able to buy a CD-R for your computer at Micro
Center for $35, for some reason these things seem to cost a fortune.
The TASCAM CDRW-5000 that I bought a while back when Sam Ash was
blowing them out arrived DOA, and Sam didn't have any more to send me
a replacement. I took it to the local TEAC authorized repair shop
(only 10 miles away in my case), they repaired it under warranty by
replacing the transport, and between the parts (the major part of the
cost) and labor (an hour), TEAC ate about $700. I only paid $300 for
the unit.

It's possible, since yours didn't quit in a puff of smoke, that it's
suffering the same obsolescence disease as my TASCAM - that they don't
make CD-R blanks like they used to when the transport was designed.
I'm not fussy about what kind of disks I buy (never tried the big bux
Taiyo Yuden or that other "good" brand) and I've found that
occasionally I'll buy a pack of disks that don't pass the laser
calibration and wont' record. I didn't have that problem with disks
that I was buying two years ago. The transport has the latest ROM in
it, and that's as far as upgrades go. It has probably burned fewer
than 50 disks, so I doubt that it's worn out, particularly since it
works fine with other batches of blanks.

I've been meaning to write or call Cassette House, a long time media
supplier, to see if they have any customers with machines like mine
who have found a brand that works consistently. When you buy
whatever's on special at Office Depot or Best Buy, you never know what
you get, but I suspect that a place like Cassette House knows the
origin of much of what they sell.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
LeBaron & Alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

garthrr writes:

it was likely a repair that would cost $750 -$900. Another place guessed
at about $350-$500. This seems exhorbitant to me for a unit that
originally cost $1100. I hate to just give up on having it fixed.

I hate when that happens, but it's been happening more and more these
days. The pile of things that don't work but are too expensive to
throw away is getting higher.

Can anyone recommend a reputable and honest repair shop that works on
HHB CDR units.

I suspect that both of those estimates are fairly honest. It's not
likely that there's anything they can do but replace the transport.

But, I'd open it up and at least try cleaning the lens, and examining
the transport to see if dust or coagulated lubricant is the problem, in
which case some foam wipes and sewing machine oil might do a trick.

I hate this **** where things cannot be reparied reasonably. It's about
the least planetarily intelligent approach imaginable.

--
ha
Scott Dorsey

In article znr1070459775k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

I've been meaning to write or call Cassette House, a long time media
supplier, to see if they have any customers with machines like mine
who have found a brand that works consistently. When you buy
whatever's on special at Office Depot or Best Buy, you never know what
you get, but I suspect that a place like Cassette House knows the
origin of much of what they sell.

I buy Mitsuis from the Cassette House and I have never had a problem with
them on the HHB 800. Consistently low error rates.

LeBaron & Alrich

Ty Ford wrote:

Were I going out today to buy a stanalone burner, it
would be a Sony w33 or w66.

Why? What they got that's good to you? Just curious.

--
ha
Richard Kuschel

HHB repair is done by NXT Generation.

I have the address at the Studio, but they aren't hard to find with a search .
Very good service.
Richard H. Kuschel

Krell Repair BSSR Audio Opinions 1 October 16th 14 05:34 PM
specific advice on surround repair MajBach1 Audio Opinions 0 January 29th 04 12:30 AM
DAT Tape Repair? Rick Naqvi Pro Audio 4 October 8th 03 03:28 PM
Russian mic repair plea Ikhaya Studios Pro Audio 5 October 7th 03 03:37 PM
beogram 8000 turntable repair any shadetree repair techs out there? s [email protected] High End Audio 0 August 24th 03 08:32 PM