Sugarite

Default Man, just when I thought Behringer might have a clue...

I was just reading about the Behringer DEQ2496, an overfeatured
underachieving EQ, and was interested in how it has a mic input on it
dedicated for a spectrum analyzer which is graphicly overlaid over the EQ.
That, I might pay $375 for...

So I'm thinking I could use the EQ for a drum monitor when using the
spectrum analyzer for more important issues, when I read more about the mic
input...

15V phantom power ?!! FIFTEEN?!!

It's the perfect voltage to ruin any shot the unit had at real-world
usefulness! Too much for an electret, not enough for any decent SDC. At
18V a Rode NT5 would be happy. 3 measly freakin volts away from brilliance.

Anyways, this isn't intented to be a Behringer-bashing thread, but damn
that's the most incompetent thing I've read in months. I love my MXB1002
for all the silly jobs it handles that no other single product can, so they
do have flashes of brilliance no matter how accidental. But whoever
conceived the "RTA" mic input for the DEQ2496 should hook up with the
imbecile that neglected to provide adequate phantom power, and take him out
for a walk in the woods where no-one can hear him scream.

Pooh Bear

Sugarite wrote:

[...]

It saves having to supply an extra voltage rail. It borrows the op-amp supply
voltage.

I'll admit to just doing something similar for an economy unit - but it's 17
Volts in my case.

Graham

George

"Sugarite" wrote:

[...]

the behringer RTA mic will work and is a match quality wise
George
Arny Krueger

"Sugarite" wrote in message

I was just reading about the Behringer DEQ2496, an overfeatured
underachieving EQ, and was interested in how it has a mic input on it
dedicated for a spectrum analyzer which is graphicly overlaid over
the EQ. That, I might pay $375 for...

So I'm thinking I could use the EQ for a drum monitor when using the
spectrum analyzer for more important issues, when I read more about
the mic input...

15V phantom power ?!! FIFTEEN?!!

Actually, this is in the range of one the accepted standards for phantom
power.

Would you believe that from time to time I work with a fine Benchmark Media
mic preamp that has the same or less phantom power?

Furthermore, 15 volt phantom power works with Behringer's ECM8000, which is
entirely suitable for the purpose.

anybody-but-bush

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
: "Sugarite" wrote in message
:
:
[...]

The Audio Control SA3050 RTA that comes with an ACO Pacific measurement microphone puts out
12VDC phantom power. This is pretty standard for any omni mic based on an electret element. In
fact they can work fine off 1.5 VCD, with less output of course, but that can be made up for
with gain in the unit.

Phil Abbate
:
:

ScotFraser

I was just reading about the Behringer DEQ2496, an overfeatured
underachieving EQ, and was interested in how it has a mic input on it
dedicated for a spectrum analyzer which is graphicly overlaid over the EQ.
That, I might pay $375 for...
So I'm thinking I could use the EQ for a drum monitor when using the
spectrum analyzer for more important issues, when I read more about the mic
input...

Check it out thoroughly, because the original Behringer digital EQ could not
perform spectral analysis & EQ simultaneously. One or the other.

15V phantom power ?!! FIFTEEN?!!
It's the perfect voltage to ruin any shot the unit had at real-world
usefulness! Too much for an electret, not enough for any decent SDC. At
18V a Rode NT5 would be happy. 3 measly freakin volts away from brilliance.

It's enough to run an AKG C451 (or a C414B-ULS for that matter,) & these are
often used in the diffuse field for RTA purposes due to their rising HF
characteristic.

Scott Fraser
hank alrich

Sugarite wrote:

15V phantom power ?!! FIFTEEN?!!

It's the perfect voltage to ruin any shot the unit had at real-world
usefulness! Too much for an electret, not enough for any decent SDC. At
18V a Rode NT5 would be happy. 3 measly freakin volts away from brilliance.

Do you think it might work with the Behringer measurement mic, whicnh
costs a pittance.?

--
ha
hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

Check it out thoroughly, because the original Behringer digital EQ could not
perform spectral analysis & EQ simultaneously. One or the other.

Never messed with the original effering, but the DEQ2496 one does stupid
amounts of stuff simultaneously, including RTA, buncha bands graphic
style, parametric, dynamic EQ, delays, manual and/or auto feedback
suppression, at least. Pretty nifty so far IME.

I'm going to get one for myself to play with, along with a DCX2496.

--
ha
Ty Ford

Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of a story about Bill Cook who lives in Colorado. He has
quite the collection of primo RCA and WE mics. He's looking to move some of
them. As a favor, I told him I would post his list. He knows what they're
worth.

1 RCA Ice Cream Cone
1 RCA SK-11 (new)
2 RCA 50A
4 RCA BK-5 A or B
1 RCA Varicoustic
6 Pre-war RCA 44BX
7 Post-war RCA 44BX
1 RCA 77A (Godfrey Mic)
7 RCA 77D
9 RCA 77DX
3 RCA 74B
1 RCA 74C
1 RCA KU Skunk Mic
2 WE 639 (new)
6 WE 639 A&B
6 WE 633 salt shaker
2 WE 600 carbon, one complete
1 WE 47A
3 WE 630 (8 ball)
2 Altec 689A (matched paid in cases)
4 Shure 55S
2 Sony ECM 22 (FETs recently replaced)
1 RCA 88A

BIll Cook maybe reached at
719.687.6357
or

Carry on and smoke 'em if you got 'em.

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

George

Yeah, I made the mistake of thinking that designers really thought about how
the product would be used, rather than how cheaply they can rack up a huge
feature list on the box.

I beieve they did, they aslo went as far as to make a mic suitable for
the unit and application available for around 30$

unless of course you consider athis just dumb luck on behringers part
George
Chris!

6 Pre-war RCA 44BX
7 Post-war RCA 44BX

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful 44BX... so how can you tell if pre- or
post- war?

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: Web: www.chriswhite.com

ScotFraser

and I'd like to use
something more trustworthy than an electret, of which the better ones don't
accept more than 10V IME.

Well, the SM81 is an electret & it's pretty trustworthy, & it accepts more than
10 volts.

I wouldn't trust a starved condenser either, I only mentioned the NT5
because it is specifically designed for 3 phantom power levels, and
specifically says not to use any less than 18V. Can't see a mic designed
for only 48V to be happy at 15V.

As you know, the AKG C451 & C460 run on 12 volts & either would be more than
adequate for use with a Behringer spectrum analyzer.

Yeah, I made the mistake of thinking that designers really thought about how
the product would be used,

Designers really do think about how their product will be used. They just have
arrived at a different conclusion than you have, due to a different work
approach & different set of experience in the field.

Scott Fraser
TonyP

"Sugarite" wrote in message
[...]

Since it's designed to work with their ECM-8000, and that mic is well suited
to the purpose given it's cost, I can't see a major problem.
If you really want to use something else, provide your own phantom power.

TonyP.

hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

Yeah, I made the mistake of thinking that designers really thought about how
the product would be used,

Designers really do think about how their product will be used. They just have
arrived at a different conclusion than you have, due to a different work
approach & different set of experience in the field.

He wanted to use his U47 for RTA with the EQ.

--
ha
ScotFraser

He wanted to use his U47 for RTA with the EQ.

And I wanted to use my Marshall amp to play back MP3s of famous Republican
speeches extolling the virtues of environmentalism while I hike the Adirondack
trail, but it looks like another dumb manufacturer is forcing me to modify my
equipment in order to do what I want.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

that would be a very short loop!!

A friend sent me a tape of Ronald Reagan's landmark foreign policy speeches,
but when I played it back, the tape was blank.

Scott Fraser
dt king

"ScotFraser" wrote in message
that would be a very short loop!!

A friend sent me a tape of Ronald Reagan's landmark foreign policy

speeches,
but when I played it back, the tape was blank.

Here, we've put one to music....

Lo: http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...D=1221287&q=Lo
Hi: http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...D=1221287&q=Hi
MP3: http://www.soundclick.com/util/Downl...cfm?ID=1221287

That guy could really speechify.

dtk

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 02 Sep 2004 14:49:59 GMT, ScotFraser wrote:
He wanted to use his U47 for RTA with the EQ.

And I wanted to use my Marshall amp to play back MP3s of famous
Republican speeches extolling the virtues of environmentalism while I
hike the Adirondack trail, but it looks like another dumb manufacturer
is forcing me to modify my equipment in order to do what I want.

Might be too heavy for that application. How strong are you?

Also, if you're up on Mount Marcy, pay attention to the environmental
specifications. Too high an altitude may inhibit cooling of power
components.

Out of the high-peaks region, there's Chimney, where the year-round snow
caves might prove troublesome if snow should get into components and
melt.

I recommend gel cells rather than lead acid, assuming you can afford the
weight budget. Note that internal combustion engines aren't welcome on
many trails in the Adarondacks, so check with the park rangers before
schlepping in from the highway with a portable generator.

Peter Larsen

Sugarite wrote:

I was just reading about the Behringer DEQ2496, an overfeatured
underachieving EQ, and was interested in how it has a mic input on it
dedicated for a spectrum analyzer which is graphicly overlaid over the EQ.
That, I might pay $375 for...

So I'm thinking I could use the EQ for a drum monitor when using the
spectrum analyzer for more important issues, when I read more about the mic
input...

15V phantom power ?!! FIFTEEN?!!

Appears at a glance to be intended for their dirt cheap and very good
measuring mic.

Anyways, this isn't intented to be a Behringer-bashing thread, but damn
that's the most incompetent thing I've read in months. I love my MXB1002
for all the silly jobs it handles that no other single product can, so they
do have flashes of brilliance no matter how accidental. But whoever
conceived the "RTA" mic input for the DEQ2496 should hook up with the
imbecile that neglected to provide adequate phantom power, and take him out
for a walk in the woods where no-one can hear him scream.

RYFM. It would be a headroom issue in some recording contexts, but not
in a reasonable measuring context.

Next!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

ScotFraser

Dayam. All this defense of Behringer is hurting my head. Make it stop!!

Don't confuse a refuting of a critique with a defense.

Scott Fraser