Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audiomanct@aol.com is offline

Default Studer Revox PR99 problem

I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play, rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button down. As soon as I let the button go it stops. Any ideas where to look? Thanks Joe
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

message ...

I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play,
rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button
down. As soon as I let the button go it stops.
Any ideas where to look?

There is a photo-cell on the left below the heads that detects if there is
tape. If it does not "see" the tape it will disenage the transport.

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edi Zubovic Edi Zubovic is offline

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:23:19 +0100, "Preben Friis"
wrote:

message ...

I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play,
rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button
down. As soon as I let the button go it stops.
Any ideas where to look?

There is a photo-cell on the left below the heads that detects if there is
tape. If it does not "see" the tape it will disenage the transport.

/Preben Friis

--Right. At Revox B77 / PR99, that arrangement works well but does
have some quirks. Running the machine without head cover at strong
light or sunlight shining directly on the sensor ie. phototransistor
disengages the transport. Also running a thin, partially transparent,
tape, does the same. I placed a tiny drop of black lacquer at the top
of the IR LED, thus making it a kind of floodlight source; this solved
the thin tape problem. Even taking a close-up photography with a flash
of the tape-end sensor while the machine is on can reportedly blow the
phototransistor and possibly the first transistor thereafter. Please
check the service manual for PR99, Section 7/7.

Place your finger over the sensor opening and run the machine. If it
disengages while the opening is covered, then there is a fault.

All the best,

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play, rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button down. As soon as I let the button go it stops. Any ideas where to look? Thanks Joe

Is the shorting plug in the remote control unit jack? If the shorting
plug is missing, this will happen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audiomanct@aol.com is offline

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:35:35 PM UTC-4, wrote: I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play, rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button down. As soon as I let the button go it stops. Any ideas where to look? Thanks Joe

Thanks to all that have posted. I already know its not the end of tape sensor and this model does not need a dummy plug in the remote socket as the A77s do

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Thanks to all that have posted. I already know its not the end of tape sens=
or and this model does not need a dummy plug in the remote socket as the A7=
7s do

If it's like the B77 it does... the PR-99 is a B77 that has been sort of
upgraded for broadcast use, though, and it may not be.

The switch assemblies on the B77 are prone to breaking, though... and since
they are all one module they cannot be repaired per-se.... and they cannot be
replaced since Revox no longer stocks them. I would check the switch panel
and make sure the stop switch is good.

If that's good, your next step is to start tracing with the voltmeter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Perrett James Perrett is offline

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:00:59 -0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

wrote:

Thanks to all that have posted. I already know its not the end of tape
sens=
or and this model does not need a dummy plug in the remote socket as
the A7=
7s do

If it's like the B77 it does... the PR-99 is a B77 that has been sort of
upgraded for broadcast use, though, and it may not be.

I've never seen a B77 that has needed a shorting plug in the remote
socket. Mine certainly works without one - but it is a Mk2 so maybe the
Mk1's needed one.

It really sounds like there's something wrong with the photocell automatic
stop circuitry.

James.
--
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] zsolek1971@gmail.com is offline

miercuri, 20 martie 2013, 04:35:35 UTC+2, a scris:
I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play, rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button down. As soon as I let the button go it stops. Any ideas where to look? Thanks Joe

check fader start pcb, capacitor c2-3.3uF blue tantalum possibly failed (in short circuit)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Check the date of the post to which you replied
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dwbabcock44@gmail.com is offline

On Monday, October 13, 2014 at 3:39:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
miercuri, 20 martie 2013, 04:35:35 UTC+2, a scris:
I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play, rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button down. As soon as I let the button go it stops. Any ideas where to look? Thanks Joe

check fader start pcb, capacitor c2-3.3uF blue tantalum possibly failed (in short circuit)

Correct capacitor for this fix is C4, shorts causes 24 volts to stop port. Same value 3.3/35volt capacitor. BR99 MKII version.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 11:08:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, October 13, 2014 at 3:39:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
miercuri, 20 martie 2013, 04:35:35 UTC+2, a scris:
I have a Studer Revox PR99 player only that I cant keep in play, rewind,fast forward mode unless I keep ho;ding that button down. As soon as I let the button go it stops. Any ideas where to look? Thanks Joe

check fader start pcb, capacitor c2-3.3uF blue tantalum possibly failed (in short circuit)

Correct capacitor for this fix is C4, shorts causes 24 volts to stop port. Same value 3.3/35volt capacitor. BR99 MKII version.

I did, thought this might help someone else, likely not helpful to original requestor.