Posted to rec.audio.pro
ganttmann ganttmann is offline

Default Windows 10 and Cubase and Wavelab

I'm thinking about finally updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have Protools 10, but I mostly use Cubase Pro 8.5. Anyone have any experience, strength and/or hope to share?

Thanks!

Gantt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

ganttmann writes:

I'm thinking about finally updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have

Protools 10, but I mostly use Cubase Pro 8.5. Anyone have any experience, strength
and/or hope to share?

Beware the leased nature of Windows 10, where you pay a monthly fee.

Now, there's been conflicting information regarding exactly where the subscription
model applies. Supposedly home users can still "own" the OS and the lease only
applies to "enterprise" licenses. But it's a dream come true for MS to get the
entire world to send them money every month. Wouldn't surprise me if they got folks
hooked and then at some point forced every user into the monthly pay model.

As far as the OS itself, I've not heard of any difficulties running PT10 (FWIW we're
sticking to Win7 for as long as possible). But do look into PT11. I have both, and
PT11 does sound better. Also, PT11 using AAX is dramatically more CPU-efficient. (In
PT11, some plug-ins run with only 1/3 to 1/4 of the system resources needed to run
the same plug-in in PT10.)

Cross-saving between the two versions is transparent if, say, you only have RTAS
versions of your plugins and not the AAX that PT11 requires and need to go back and
forth for some period. I've heard they did this to take some of the sting out of the
need to upgrade all your RTAS plugins.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 24 Jul 2016, Frank Stearns
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Beware the leased nature of Windows 10, where you pay a monthly
fee.

Now, there's been conflicting information regarding exactly where
the subscription model applies. Supposedly home users can still
"own" the OS and the lease only applies to "enterprise" licenses.

There's no "supposedly" about it. There is no lease on home versions of
Windows at this time. Nor is there a lease on enterprise versions yet.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/24/2016 5:58 PM, ganttmann wrote:
I'm thinking about finally updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows
7. I have Protools 10, but I mostly use Cubase Pro 8.5. Anyone have
any experience, strength and/or hope to share?

I've heard more annoyances with Windows 10 than benefits, but that comes
from Internet forums, where most people who have anything to say about a
product usually have complaints.

The only reason I can see to upgrade an operating system is if you want
to run software that won't run with your present OS. Eventually this
will happen. If Avid and Steinberg stop supporting the versions that
you're running, that isn't going to hurt . . . until you need to buy a
new computer that you can't "downgrade" to Windows 7 - which could be
due to the manufacturer not providing Windows 7 drivers for things like
graphics and network cards or USB ports that may not be fully supported
with the Microsoft standard drivers. Same if you get a new audio interface.

I suspect that there's at least 5 years more useful life left in a
Windows 7 system, and by then you'll probably need a new computer anyway
(says he who's running mostly with 8-15 year old computers, some running
Windows XP, others running Windows 7.

If you're happy with what you have now, look around for an enterprise
version of Windows 7 that you can install as many times as you need to.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

--
.

I agree with Frank. With the garbage Microsoft has been issuing, stay away from any FREE upgrade. I see they are nagging Win 7 Pro users amount 10.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 25/07/2016 2:03 p.m., JackA wrote:
I agree with Frank. With the garbage Microsoft has been issuing, stay away from any FREE upgrade. I see they are nagging Win 7 Pro users amount 10.

Jack

Gosh - that's a big amount.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Howard parker Howard parker is offline

On 7/24/2016 5:58 PM, ganttmann wrote:
I'm thinking about finally updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have Protools 10, but I mostly use Cubase Pro 8.5. Anyone have any experience, strength and/or hope to share?

Thanks!

Gantt

Gantt,

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10. I waited for Cubase to give the green
light. My Cubase 7.5 install is running flawlessly.

(I-5 CPU 12GB ram)

Howard

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

ganttmann wrote:
I'm thinking about finally updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows
7. I have Protools 10, but I mostly use Cubase Pro 8.5. Anyone have
any experience, strength and/or hope to share?

Thanks!

Gantt

I know of no compelling reason to upgrade from 7. If you replace the
computer completely and it comes with 10 ( and all the fine print on
the licensing for 10 seems okay ) , then I'd use that.

I am buying a box version of win 7 soon; it'll be my fallback. The only
reason I would use 10 is if drivers moved completely away from it for
new hardware. SFAIK, the Focusrite drivers work on both.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 12:31:51 AM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:
ganttmann wrote:
I'm thinking about finally updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows
7. I have Protools 10, but I mostly use Cubase Pro 8.5. Anyone have
any experience, strength and/or hope to share?

Thanks!

Gantt

I know of no compelling reason to upgrade from 7. If you replace the
computer completely and it comes with 10 ( and all the fine print on
the licensing for 10 seems okay ) , then I'd use that.

I am buying a box version of win 7 soon; it'll be my fallback. The only
reason I would use 10 is if drivers moved completely away from it for
new hardware. SFAIK, the Focusrite drivers work on both.

--
Les Cargill

Win 7?

Hey, Les, at least with the fixes, aka patches, aka blunders, you can copy and paste in Windows Explorer without it crashing!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 9:59:05 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Why must people always upgrade? Like it's going to buy them something! Maybe they just like to burn money.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 12:59:16 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 25/07/2016 2:03 p.m., JackA wrote:
I agree with Frank. With the garbage Microsoft has been issuing, stay away from any FREE upgrade. I see they are nagging Win 7 Pro users amount 10.

Jack

Gosh - that's a big amount.

Isn't about time you upgrade your headphones!?

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Les Cargill
writes
I know of no compelling reason to upgrade from 7. If you replace the
computer completely and it comes with 10 ( and all the fine print on
the licensing for 10 seems okay ) , then I'd use that.

I am buying a box version of win 7 soon; it'll be my fallback. The only
reason I would use 10 is if drivers moved completely away from it for
new hardware. SFAIK, the Focusrite drivers work on both.

FWIW, I have moved a couple of laptops onto Windows 10 because of hope
that there are some extra "hooks" into the OS for diagnostics in the
pipeline.

There's a thing called Microsoft Message Analyser that seems to
incorporate some of the things (progman, xperf) I've used in the past to
investigate, for example, glitching in usb audio devices.
So far, I've been trying to use it to dive into bluetooth and usb
vehicle diagnostics and have had it part way to working, although not
to the point of being useful, but it's early days.

The killer with W10, is the enforced update procedure. For example, it
blows away the old driver for the touch screen on my Lenovo X200T (I
know) every time it runs unless you use the "pretend it's a metered
connection" trick. When I'm sitting there with a steering wheel, a
laptop and wires, and a running engine, I really do like the touch
screen rather than mousing.

I haven't really tried it on many audio devices yet as they work fine on
the XP and W7 proper machines.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 2:04:09 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
In message , Les Cargill
writes
[...]

Ah, yes, USB. You go to stop a USB stick and it tells you you can't (7&8)!!

Seems like another M$ blunder.

Jack

The killer with W10, is the enforced update procedure. For example, it
blows away the old driver for the touch screen on my Lenovo X200T (I
know) every time it runs unless you use the "pretend it's a metered
connection" trick. When I'm sitting there with a steering wheel, a
laptop and wires, and a running engine, I really do like the touch
screen rather than mousing.

I haven't really tried it on many audio devices yet as they work fine on
the XP and W7 proper machines.
--
Bill

Latest Opinions on Windows 7 and Cubase 5, 32/64 bits? Garvin Yee Pro Audio 15 May 22nd 12 05:26 AM
Need Wavelab advice Jim Beaver Tech 1 November 1st 06 10:45 AM
Wavelab 4.0 dithering Jerry Gerber Pro Audio 3 May 6th 04 12:45 AM
dual screen + cubase sx + windows xp beauchampy Pro Audio 12 March 13th 04 08:22 AM
Wavelab 4 - No Output Lance Pro Audio 1 July 27th 03 06:54 PM