Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] knightsfs4@gmail.com is offline

Default Tech: Carver Dolby Pro Sound Reciever HR-895

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 19, 4:41*pm, jakdedert wrote:
wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G

Not turned on? *Not plugged in (either the receiver or the speakers)?

Sorry for sounding so flip; but you've not given any clue as to what may
be the problem.

Try again....

jak

the problem is no sound are coming out of the speakers. Everything is
plugged in properly
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 19, 2:09*pm, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.

Not turned on? *Not plugged in (either the receiver or the speakers)?

Sorry for sounding so flip; but you've not given any clue as to what may
be the problem.

In fact sound does not get from the "receiver to the speakers" in any case,
only electrical signals.
I think he needs to call someone.

MrT.

I plug my ipod into the reciever. The reciever is supposed to send
that signal to the speakers. It doesn't. Im asking what my problem is
cause im stumped.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

No sound from any source? It doesn't work with fm, cd, any other sources?

Lights and everything comes on ok?

No sound from any source suggests the amplifier section presuming that the
speakers are connected properly.

No teenager that might have blown both your speakers? (You guys laugh but I
spent a while diagnosing a pioneer amp only to eventually find out my teen
daughter turned the volume all the way up and went up stairs. 4 speakers
destroyed.)

wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G

Not turned on? Not plugged in (either the receiver or the speakers)?

Sorry for sounding so flip; but you've not given any clue as to what may
be the problem.

Try again....

jak

the problem is no sound are coming out of the speakers. Everything is
plugged in properly

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G

Not turned on? Not plugged in (either the receiver or the speakers)?

Sorry for sounding so flip; but you've not given any clue as to what may
be the problem.

Try again....

jak

the problem is no sound are coming out of the speakers. Everything is
plugged in properly

Actually I am a teenager. I bought it with my own money and I would
never abuse anything to the point it breaks. The speakers are fine I
tested them with another player. When im on the setting for ipod it
just doesnt play.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.
Thanks...
Jack G
Not turned on? Not plugged in (either the receiver or the speakers)?
Sorry for sounding so flip; but you've not given any clue as to what may
be the problem.
Try again....
jak

the problem is no sound are coming out of the speakers. Everything is
plugged in properly

Actually I am a teenager. I bought it with my own money and I would
never abuse anything to the point it breaks. The speakers are fine I
tested them with another player. When im on the setting for ipod it
just doesnt play.

Okay, start from the beginning. When did the problem start? What
'does' happen when you turn it on: lights; clicks...odors? Into which
input do you plug the Ipod? Any sound on other sources?

Really, give us a clue...actually more than a clue. Let us know the
whole story or you'll not get any help--at least any that you can use.

Damn it, Jim! We're techies, not clairvoyants!

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

Ill explain everything. I used it very frequently then stopped using
it. The radio does not work. A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds so I turned it off. When it worked it plugged an
audio cord (Red,White) into the front which is the Video setting. When
I hit video it doesnt work. It says video on the display and goes away
10 seconds later back to 0:00. Speakers are fine. It turns on and off.
If you have any more questons I can answer them. I just wnat this
fixed.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:41:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds

This is interesting. Could you amplify?

CH
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] knightsfs4@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 19, 7:55*pm, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:41:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:
A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds

This is interesting. Could you amplify?

CH

Nope. Am I the only one frustrated?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

That's probably what you'll have to do: have it fixed. From cursory
research, this 1994 110wpc (in stereo) Dolby Pro-logic receiver tends to
get pretty hot in operation. From this remove, it seems like it could
have overheated (the clicks). Is there anything on it like an
'overload' or 'protect' indicator? Do you have the unit situated where
it can get good ventilation?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I imagine it's toast. Repair
might be an option, but I doubt it's anything you can do yourself,
unless you want to do some serious research into the process.

Sorry....

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

But it turns on you can change settings it seems to me as if I just
pushed a wrong button and ****ed up a setting that I dont know about
or how to change back.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 19, 8:23*pm, jakdedert wrote:
Chris Hornbeck wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:41:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds

This is interesting. Could you amplify?

CH

Of course not. *That's what he wants the receiver for....

Sounds like protect mode--probably overheating--to me. *One of these
sold on eBay for $215 recently; another's on sale now with a BIN of
$999. *It originally listed (in 94) for around $1200. *It's probably
worth fixing; but Carver is out of biz now, I believe. *Might be hard to
find service....

jak

When I hit a setting lets say AM radio. On the display it says AM then
5 seconds later it says 0:00. Im trying to see if I can fix it before
buying a new one.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
I think he needs to call someone.

I plug my ipod into the reciever. The reciever is supposed to send
that signal to the speakers. It doesn't. Im asking what my problem is
cause im stumped.

If you're unable to diagnose any further than that, then follow my previous
suggestion.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] knightsfs4@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 19, 8:54*pm, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:20:10 -0800 (PST), wrote:
But it turns on you can change settings it seems to me as if I just
pushed a wrong button and ****ed up a setting that I dont know about
or how to change back.

True if this were a software problem, but this is a hardware
problem. How's your soldering? If you are, or can get up to
speed on soldering, you *might* be able to revive it yourself.

Many problems in modern consumer electronics are caused by
bad solder joints, and any that aren't are beyond your
ability to diagnose. So, how's your soldering?

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbec

I work on pinball machines, my soldering is perfect. What would I have
to solder is it a diode problem?
Also if I cant get this fixed what is the best receiver I should get?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

wrote:

A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds

This is interesting. Could you amplify?

CH

Of course not. That's what he wants the receiver for....

Sounds like protect mode--probably overheating--to me.
One of these sold on eBay for $215 recently; another's
on sale now with a BIN of $999. It originally listed (in
94) for around $1200. It's probably worth fixing; but
Carver is out of biz now, I believe. Might be hard to
find service....

jak

When I hit a setting lets say AM radio. On the display it
says AM then 5 seconds later it says 0:00. Im trying to
see if I can fix it before buying a new one.

Trust me, *you* aren't going to fix it. Proably worth getting an estimate
from a qualified service technican.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] knightsfs4@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 19, 9:34*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

wrote:

A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds

This is interesting. Could you amplify?

CH

Of course not. That's what he wants the receiver for....

Sounds like protect mode--probably overheating--to me.
One of these sold on eBay for $215 recently; another's
on sale now with a BIN of $999. It originally listed (in
94) for around $1200. It's probably worth fixing; but
Carver is out of biz now, I believe. Might be hard to
find service....

jak

When I hit a setting lets say AM radio. On the display it
says AM then 5 seconds later it says 0:00. Im trying to
see if I can fix it before buying a new one.

Trust me, *you* aren't going to fix it. *Proably worth getting an estimate
from a qualified service technican.

I can almost guarentee you that if I find the problem I can fix it.m
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:07:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I work on pinball machines, my soldering is perfect. What would I have
to solder is it a diode problem?

Now yer cookin' with gas. Unplug this guy (from everything!)
and open it up where you can get bright lights to shine
into it. Give it a few hours to discharge any juice left
in the bigger cap's. Then, start by *looking*. Use *very*
bright lights; what you want to see is very small.

Parts that get hot in normal operation will have conducted
heat down their leads to the solder joints conecting 'em
to their circuit boards. When the machine is turned off
these solder joints cool down. Then they're heated up next
use; then cooled down... like that. This thermal cycling
eventually damages the solder joint. It's called a
"crystalized joint", which is almost correct.

So, you want to look very closely at the solder/trace side
of all circuit boards that hot parts get connected to. Of
course the output transistors or output "modules" (these
parts will be mounted to the biggest heat radiators /"heat
sinks") are the first place to look, but also look closely
at the voltage regulator ICs' solder joints. But a bright
light and a sharp eye are the real keys to success.

You'll want to look both for a crumbly, un-shiny, un-pretty
joint (that's soon to fail!), and for "ring-cracks", circular
gaps that have opened around the pads of the devices' legs.

Suck out the old solder from any and all remotely suspicious
looking joints, resolder, then look some more.

Worth a shot, and you'll have done about all that can be done
non-professionally. All the best fortune, and let us know how
it goes,

Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
I can almost guarentee you that if I find the problem I can fix it.

And I can guarantee from what you've written so far, *you* ain't going to
find the problem.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:41:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:
A few weeks ago I kept on hearing it
CLICK every 5 seconds
This is interesting. Could you amplify?
CH

Of course not. That's what he wants the receiver for....

Sounds like protect mode--probably overheating--to me. One of these
sold on eBay for $215 recently; another's on sale now with a BIN of
$999. It originally listed (in 94) for around $1200. It's probably
worth fixing; but Carver is out of biz now, I believe. Might be hard to
find service....

jak

When I hit a setting lets say AM radio. On the display it says AM then
5 seconds later it says 0:00. Im trying to see if I can fix it before
buying a new one.

I'm a little murky about the 0:00 display. Do you have a manual? The
limited info that I've seen make mention of much confusion with
front-panel indicators and controls. I hope that's your problem, but
the clicking you mentioned seems problematic. I take it that was a new
development.

Anyway, things to look for (generically speaking, since I don't have the
manual) are speaker selector switches and tape monitor modes which might
have been inadvertently toggled.

Finally, unplug it and leave it overnight. Plug it back up in the
morning and see if anything improves. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're
looking at professional help or a replacement.

jak

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

wrote in message
I think he needs to call someone.

I plug my ipod into the reciever. The reciever is supposed to send
that signal to the speakers. It doesn't. Im asking what my problem is
cause im stumped.

If you're unable to diagnose any further than that, then follow my
previous
suggestion.

MrT.

I have some experience with these. The OP has no chance of fixing it
himself. If it helps, this model is a rebadged Marantz SR-92.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

I can almost guarantee you that if I find the problem I
can fix it.m

I might even believe that. Fixing stuff is often 95% diagnosis and 5%
repair.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just don't know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G

Jack,

I've read all of the other posts (so far)and have to agree that it
would be unlikely that you'll be able to fix this unit yourself.
However, there are a couple of things that you can check for yourself,
as long as you are good with PC board soldering and an ohm meter.

This unit was a 'customized' (for Carver) version of a Marantz SR-92
receiver. Carver issued a bulletin suggesting changing R902 in the
power supply to a 47 ohm 2W flame proof resistor, and at the same time
change the 'hologram relay' to their part number LY20240400, what ever
that is. I would at least find R902 and make sure that it is not open.

These amps also run very hot and sometimes the small driver
transistors in the front amps need to be resoldered or replaced. As I
recall, look at Q701 and 703 in the left channel, and Q702 and 704 in
the right. Q701 and 702 are 2SA1145, and Q703 and 704 are 2SC2705. If
they look cooked, you might want to replace them. I'd check them with
an ohm meter first to see if they are still functional. The transistors
can be ordered from many suppliers, among them (in the US) MCM
Electronics (
www.mcmelectronics.com). You should check over the
soldering of that area of the PC board while you are there.

Lastly, there is a reset button ,S801, on the main board near the
center that should set everything back to factory default.

My final comment is that if you don't know how to ohm-meter check a
transistor, or have a friend who does, then its time to visit a repair shop.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 20, 9:01*am, (GregS) wrote:
In article , wrote:

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just dont know whats wrong.
Thanks...

If there is a problem causing the protection relays to disengage, try
measuring the votages in fronnt of the relays. It should be very close to zero DC.
Two channels ?

greg

I opened it and there is quite frankly a lot of ****. I have no idea
where to start. If someone could tell me where to start. Thats what I
need

HELP
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Jan 20, 9:01 am, (GregS)
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The
sound wont come out of the receiver to the speakers. I
just dont know whats wrong. Thanks...

If there is a problem causing the protection relays to
disengage, try
measuring the votages in fronnt of the relays. It should
be very close to zero DC.
Two channels ?

greg

I opened it and there is quite frankly a lot of ****. I
have no idea
where to start. If someone could tell me where to start.
Thats what I
need

HELP

Get a schematic. Learn how it works.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] knightsfs4@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 20, 5:44*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 20, 9:01 am, (GregS)
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The
sound wont come out of the receiver to the speakers. I
just dont know whats wrong. Thanks...

If there is a problem causing the protection relays to
disengage, try
measuring the votages in fronnt of the relays. It should
be very close to zero DC.
Two channels ?

greg

I opened it and there is quite frankly a lot of ****. I
have no idea
where to start. If someone could tell me where to start.
Thats what I
need

HELP

Get a schematic. *Learn how it works.

I dont have a schematic first of all. Second if I knew how it worked I
wouldnt be asking how to fix it.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 20, 5:47*pm, wrote:
On Jan 20, 5:44*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message

On Jan 20, 9:01 am, (GregS)
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The
sound wont come out of the receiver to the speakers. I
just dont know whats wrong. Thanks...

If there is a problem causing the protection relays to
disengage, try
measuring the votages in fronnt of the relays. It should
be very close to zero DC.
Two channels ?

greg

I opened it and there is quite frankly a lot of ****. I
have no idea
where to start. If someone could tell me where to start.
Thats what I
need

HELP

Get a schematic. *Learn how it works.

I dont have a schematic first of all. Second if I knew how it worked I
wouldnt be asking how to fix it.

Look at this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380097152242
I have the same problem. All im asking from you guys is
Whats wrong
Where in the receiver is it
How to fix it.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
These amps also run very hot and sometimes the small driver
transistors in the front amps need to be resoldered or replaced. As I
recall, look at Q701 and 703 in the left channel, and Q702 and 704 in
the right. Q701 and 702 are 2SA1145, and Q703 and 704 are 2SC2705. If
they look cooked, you might want to replace them.

I doubt they would "look cooked", even if they have been destroyed.

I'd check them with
an ohm meter first to see if they are still functional.

Which assumes he has a meter and can use it. Something not evident in the

My final comment is that if you don't know how to ohm-meter check a
transistor, or have a friend who does, then its time to visit a repair

shop.

Which others have told him many times already.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
I opened it and there is quite frankly a lot of ****. I have no idea
where to start. If someone could tell me where to start. Thats what I
need

Start by taking it to someone who knows what they are doing.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 1/20/2009 3:00 PM spake thus:

Look at this
I have the same problem. All im asking from you guys is
Whats wrong
Where in the receiver is it
How to fix it.

First of all, how the hell is posting a link to an eBay auction of
*another* non-working unit (whose owner has no clue why it doesn't work)
supposed to help?

You apparently haven't been getting the message, that there are lots and
lots of things that could be wrong with your receiver--could be a blown
chip, transistor, relay, etc., etc.--and that you seem to lack the
diagnostic skills to determine what the problem is.

Even though, as Arnie pointed out, a lot of repairs are 95% diagnosis
and 5% actual repair (in other words, easy to fix once you figure out
what the problem is), there's no way in hell you're going to diagnose
the problem by bugging people here and repeatedly asking "What's wrong
with it?".

You have to at least get your hands on a schematic. They're out there.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] knightsfs4@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 20, 7:05*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/20/2009 3:00 PM spake thus:

Look at thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380097152242
[...]

I dont know how to diagnose it but I work on pinball machines not
stereos. One of you guys from the information i have given should have
been able to help...not really.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] westpase-he_ac@hotmail.com is offline

You have been given good advice on repairing it:
Take it to a qualified technician!
From your own admission, your clueless, unwilling
to get a schematic to guide your way through the
electronic maze, that you discoverd when you opened it.
Maybe a good zap from an un-discharged capacitor
will flatten the steep slope of your learning curve.
YMMV

On Jan 20, 7:12*pm, wrote:
[...]

been able to help...not really.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

wrote:
: All im asking from you guys is Whats wrong
: Where in the receiver is it How to fix it.

Yeah, what's wrong with you guys?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Jan 20, 5:44 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 20, 9:01 am, (GregS)
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The
sound wont come out of the receiver to the speakers. I
just dont know whats wrong. Thanks...

If there is a problem causing the protection relays to
disengage, try
measuring the votages in fronnt of the relays. It
should be very close to zero DC.
Two channels ?

greg

I opened it and there is quite frankly a lot of ****. I
have no idea
where to start. If someone could tell me where to start.
Thats what I
need

HELP

Get a schematic. Learn how it works.

I dont have a schematic first of all.

That's your fault.

Second if I knew how it worked I wouldnt be asking how to fix it.

It's very hard to actually fix a broken component over the web.

old tech reciever foggie Tech 1 January 19th 07 01:55 PM
How to get DTS or Dolby sound out of my TV ?? Kate Jackson Pro Audio 5 June 20th 05 04:06 AM
FA: Carver DPL-20 (DPL20) Dolby Pro-Logic Processor Dean Marketplace 0 April 23rd 04 04:02 AM
FA: Carver DPL-20 (DPL20) Dolby Pro-Logic Processor Dean Marketplace 0 April 23rd 04 04:02 AM
Reciever (Carver HR-895) intermittantly turning itself off. Can I fix? Jess Tech 8 February 16th 04 01:35 PM