Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert Stevens Robert Stevens is offline

Default Studer A800 pre-stabilizer roller and pinch roller problem

Hi, long shot here.

I had a problem with my A800 pre-stablizer shifting down a couple mm causing tape to get dragged down on the head and making a crinkling noise at the roller.

I took the assembly off the machine and added a brass spacer shim ring to the shaft as per the service manual instructions. This raised the stabilizer roller back up to the correct height.

When I put the assembly back in the machine, it operates very sluggishly. It used to clamp down on the tape almost instantly but now it takes a couple seconds to fully engage as well as a few seconds to fully release. The original problem has been solved but now a new one in it's place.

The question of course is how did I frig up the engage disengage speed of the 2 rollers? I did not make mechanical adjustments (intentionally) to the assembly.

Thanks,

Rob

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Robert Stevens wrote:
I had a problem with my A800 pre-stablizer shifting down a couple mm causin=
g tape to get dragged down on the head and making a crinkling noise at the =
roller. =20

I took the assembly off the machine and added a brass spacer shim ring to t=
he shaft as per the service manual instructions. This raised the stabilize=
r roller back up to the correct height.

When I put the assembly back in the machine, it operates very sluggishly. =
It used to clamp down on the tape almost instantly but now it takes a coupl=
e seconds to fully engage as well as a few seconds to fully release. The o=
riginal problem has been solved but now a new one in it's place.

The question of course is how did I frig up the engage disengage speed of t=
he 2 rollers? I did not make mechanical adjustments (intentionally) to the =
assembly.

The first thing is to figure out how the tension arm shifted in the first
place. I bet a nickel if you can see what caused that that you will know
the whole story.

If you're not on the studer mailing list, you should be. Ask there.
http://recordist.com/studer/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert Stevens Robert Stevens is offline

Unfortunately, the Studer list was closed back in august.

I did just figure out that there is a hydraulic "screen door closer "like thingy that is easily disturbed. Turning that a quarter turn solved the sluggishness.

The shift in the stabilizer is still unexplained, and probably as you suggest, will happen again. But for now it works right.

Thanks,

Rob