Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Antti Nayha

Default New tonearm for AR XA: suggestions?

Hi all,

my trusty old AR XA turntable (purchased in 1970) needs some
refurbishing. In particular, the tonearm is so worn out that
I just can't get the adjustments right any more.

Now, I found some nice L.A. Audio File articles from the 80's
about modifying AR's: http://www.laaudiofile.com/backissu.html
The last article has excellent instructions for choosing and
refitting a modern tonearm. Quote:

The preferred tone arm for the AR mod is one that
mounts via a threaded pillar with a locking nut. Both
the Mayware Formula 4 and Grace 707 Mark II meet this
requirement. Unfortunately, my classic favorite, the
SME 3009 Mark II Improved, does not.

The springs on the I-bar subchassis are carefully
spaced equidistance from its center of gravity. So,
ideally, the replacement arm should be the same weight
as the original. I found that the original tone arm
and its spindle well (after removal) come to about 7
oz. Ideally, the replacement arm and its mounting
plate should come close to that figure. Another
important specification is the tone arm length - the
original arm has a 9" stylus to pivot length, and is
11 5/8" overall. You should, of course, be sure the
counterweight of the replacement arm will clear the
corner of the dust cover.

The problem is, since the article is 15 years old, both of the
two suggested tonearms are quite hard to find (and expensive!)
nowadays. I'd be grateful for any suggestions for other
suitable replacement arms, preferably cheap ones... or, at
least ones with good value for money. :-)

--
Antti