gs550dad

Default KLH Model 18

Hello,

I hope this might be the right place to post this question. I've
recently become interested in some of the vintage KLH products of the
late 50's and early 60's. Can anyone tell me if KLH offered an amplifier
that was specifically paired with their Model 18 tuner? Also, which KLH
speakers worked best with this arrangement. I've tried to do some
searching on the web but haven't found out much. Thanks.

Kurt
Harry Lavo

"gs550dad" wrote in message
Hello,

I hope this might be the right place to post this question. I've
recently become interested in some of the vintage KLH products of the
late 50's and early 60's. Can anyone tell me if KLH offered an amplifier
that was specifically paired with their Model 18 tuner? Also, which KLH
speakers worked best with this arrangement. I've tried to do some
searching on the web but haven't found out much. Thanks.

Kurt

To the best of my recollection (and I'm pretty sure of this) there was no
amplifier. There was an "integrated" with a similar tuner and amp built
into the walnut base of a record changer, but that was not the Model 18.
The speakers that came with that I believe are known as the Model 20's (or
maybe it is 24's). They had an RCA input instead of conventional speaker
wiring posts.

I am pretty sure the Model 16 was KLH's integrated amplifier, rated
about 40 watts and selling for about $225 about 1965. Back then, for a
bit more money you could get a much better amp from AR. My father still
uses his KLH 20 modular system from the 1960s; it retailed for $400.
The KLH Six was their best-selling speaker at about $125 - a two-way,
two-cubic-foot system system with 12-inch woofer. I owned a pair but
sold them about 35 years ago and probably wouldn't like them today.
Craig Taylor

gs550dad wrote:

Hello,

I hope this might be the right place to post this question. I've
recently become interested in some of the vintage KLH products of the
late 50's and early 60's. Can anyone tell me if KLH offered an
amplifier that was specifically paired with their Model 18 tuner?
Also, which KLH speakers worked best with this arrangement. I've tried
to do some searching on the web but haven't found out much. Thanks.

Kurt

Yes there was a model 16 amp which matched... I have had two,,many years
ago... they were a bit fragile. Keep the impedance high for the speakers.

CT