William Eckle

Default LPCM Stereo ?

Hi Gang:
Noticed the following release notice:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CD/DVD (Columbia/Legacy) Feb 8
— DualDisc featuring the CD on one side and a DVD on the other; the
DVD side features the entire album in both 5.1 Surround Sound and
enhanced LPCM Stereo; a 25-minute documentary on the making of the
album is included; the film, "Made In Heaven," features black & white
footage, vintage stills, interviews with trumpeter Miles Davis and
pianist Bill Evans

What is "LPCM Stereo". This is already available in SACD
multi-channel, and several earlier formats.

-=Bill Eckle=-

Vanity Web Page at:
http://www.wmeckle.com
Chung

William Eckle wrote:
Hi Gang:
Noticed the following release notice:
=20
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CD/DVD (Columbia/Legacy) Feb 8
=97 DualDisc featuring the CD on one side and a DVD on the other; the
DVD side features the entire album in both 5.1 Surround Sound and
enhanced LPCM Stereo; a 25-minute documentary on the making of the
album is included; the film, "Made In Heaven," features black & white
footage, vintage stills, interviews with trumpeter Miles Davis and
pianist Bill Evans=20
=20
What is "LPCM Stereo". This is already available in SACD
multi-channel, and several earlier formats.
=20
=20
-=3DBill Eckle=3D-

Vanity Web Page at:
http://www.wmeckle.com=20

LPCM stereo is linear PCM stereo. In other words, uncompressed 2-channel =

audio similar to CD audio, except most likely at a different rate and a=20
different resolution. It could be 48KHz sampling, 24 bits resolution,=20
for instance.

SACD is not LPCM.
Mark Tranchant

William Eckle wrote:

What is "LPCM Stereo". This is already available in SACD
multi-channel, and several earlier formats.

Linear PCM - it's an "earlier format", as used on CD.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Harry Lavo

"William Eckle" wrote in message
Hi Gang:
Noticed the following release notice:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CD/DVD (Columbia/Legacy) Feb 8
- DualDisc featuring the CD on one side and a DVD on the other; the
DVD side features the entire album in both 5.1 Surround Sound and
enhanced LPCM Stereo; a 25-minute documentary on the making of the
album is included; the film, "Made In Heaven," features black & white
footage, vintage stills, interviews with trumpeter Miles Davis and
pianist Bill Evans

What is "LPCM Stereo". This is already available in SACD
multi-channel, and several earlier formats.

The "LP" stands for lossless packing. Not sure about the CM. In practice,
it seems to signify some kinds of slightly high-res encoding that its
playable by ordinary DVD players...some of the first have DAD, some have
48/24, etc. Many have none...just 5.1 DD and/or DTS plus video. The video
is all over the lot as well. This side is totally at the discretion of the
provider. The CD side generally follows redbook, but the disk is thicker
than rebook and cannot be played on some machines...estimates have ranged
from 2% up to 10%. Many machine producers have consumer advisories out
saying in effect "we haven't tested it thoroughly yet and it may not
work....buyer beware".

Sony/BMG music is participating in this initial wave...but parent company
SONY is furious as they still stand solidly behind SACD. It will be
interesting to see how it plays out.

Uptown Audio

It's just stereo in a digital format. They call it LPCM for "Linear
Pulse Code Modulation". Basically it's what you get on a standard CD.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"William Eckle" wrote in message
Hi Gang:
Noticed the following release notice:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CD/DVD (Columbia/Legacy) Feb 8
- DualDisc featuring the CD on one side and a DVD on the other; the
DVD side features the entire album in both 5.1 Surround Sound and
enhanced LPCM Stereo; a 25-minute documentary on the making of the
album is included; the film, "Made In Heaven," features black &
white
footage, vintage stills, interviews with trumpeter Miles Davis and
pianist Bill Evans

What is "LPCM Stereo". This is already available in SACD
multi-channel, and several earlier formats.

-=Bill Eckle=-

Vanity Web Page at:
http://www.wmeckle.com

Kalman Rubinson

On 27 Jan 2005 00:50:58 GMT, Uptown Audio wrote:

It's just stereo in a digital format. They call it LPCM for "Linear
Pulse Code Modulation". Basically it's what you get on a standard CD.

In fact, several of the DualDiscs I have say that the CD side is
simply the original CD content.

Kal
Steven Sullivan

Chung wrote:
William Eckle wrote:
[...]

....as opposed to PPCM (packed pcm) the lossless compressed version by
Meridian, used on most DVD-Audio discs (though I have one that's LPCM)

--

-S If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open
one, look at you and say, Messiah, we have waited for your arrival.
Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I get for writing late at night. The other guys are right, it
is Linear PCM. I was getting it confused with Meridian Lossless Packing
used on some DVD's. Sorry for the misinfo.

Kalman Rubinson

On 8 Feb 2005 01:04:16 GMT, "WahKiu" wrote:

You can recorded in LPCM if you use the YAMAHA DVD recorder. It can only
reproduced on DVD machine only.

I do not understand to what you are responding. I can play either
side on some of my machines and have no need to copy them.

Kal