Bruce C. Miller

Default Amp setup with VUs?

I'm looking to creating what will eventually also be a HT system,
starting with the power supply and buy components as I get money.
Aesthetics are as important as functionality for me, and I'd like a
system with components that don't visually clash with each other. I
know a lot of guys who put a lot of money into hi-end equipment, yet
some are wood-grain, some brushed metal, some black, some with rack
mount handles... They usually sound good, but look worse than a shelf
system from Kmart.

I'd like amps with VU meters. I really liked the old Carver TFMs. And
of course McIntosh amps look great. Are there any other amps out there
with backlit VUs? Another problem is that the ones I know about are
all stereo amps. I assume that most of you are using multi-channel amps
for your HT systems. How common is it to use stereo amps, what do you
do about the center channel? 2 stereo amps and a monoblock?

Any suggestions for amp setups and other components that would match
them are appreciated.
Kalman Rubinson

On 28 Jan 2005 22:59:19 GMT, "Bruce C. Miller"
wrote:

I'd like amps with VU meters. I really liked the old Carver TFMs. And
of course McIntosh amps look great. Are there any other amps out there
with backlit VUs?

VU meters are pretty useless in domestic audio systems.

Another problem is that the ones I know about are
all stereo amps. I assume that most of you are using multi-channel amps
for your HT systems. How common is it to use stereo amps, what do you
do about the center channel? 2 stereo amps and a monoblock?

Sure plus the occasional 3 channel amp.

Any suggestions for amp setups and other components that would match
them are appreciated.

Too vague. Amps run from about 15wpc at $30 to kilowatts at nearly
unlimited prices and everything in between. Where are you?

Kal

Russ Button

Bruce C. Miller wrote:

I'd like amps with VU meters.

VU meters were in favor as eye candy back in the
80's. I remember seeing an article in Audio Magazine
back in the 70's about Richard Burwin's home system
which had a wall with some 16 or so Phase Linear 400
power amps, all of which had dual VU meters. Pretty
impressive.

One amp I used to own some 22 years ago was the
Marantz 140. It had 75 watts/channel, with a
brushed silver look and blue VU meters. Get
enough of 'em and it could look pretty cool.

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/140.html

Other amps that come to mind a

Phase Linear 400

http://www.phaselinearhistory.com/400seriesamp.htm

Phase Linear 700

http://www.phaselinearhistory.com/700seriesamp.htm

Dynaco ST-400 `

I couldn't find a page with a picture of the ST-400 with
VU meters, but you could get 'em.

Dynaco ST-150 - 2 channel amp at 75 watts/channel
not very common

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynac...150/index.html

Dynaco QSA-300 - 4 channel power amp at 75 watts/channel
very rare!

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynac...300/index.html

Dynaco MK-VI - 120 watt tube monoblock
only about 2000 of these things were made - very cool

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynac...kVI/index.html

Of course, if you're really loaded and want EVERYONE to know it...

Just scout around and get a slew of Marantz Model 9 power amps.
70 watt monoblocks at about $3000 to $4000 each when you can find
them.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0009.html

Russ
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote:

I'd like amps with VU meters. I really liked the old Carver TFMs. And
of course McIntosh amps look great. Are there any other amps out there
with backlit VUs?

VU meters are pretty useless in domestic audio systems.

Mr. James Bongiornio didn't see it that way; is that why GAS went bust (as
did my 'zilla II more times than I care to remember)? My Ampzilla has
appeared be finally fixed by an associate of JB requiring input of thought
and parts by Mr. B. to do the job, + $300. I'm using the Zilla to reinforce
the L/R front channels driving floor standing Klipschs, as the L/R Polk
speakers mounted on the front wall 2 feet from the ceiling don't do the
trick for me. It is an overkill to use the GAS amp in that manner, but I do
it anyway because it's SEXY and at times more pleasant to watch than a lot
of current DVD releases. However, more seriously those meters are NOT
completely useless. One can to see how close the amp is getting to clipping
way before the diodes begin to flash red thereby saving on fuses and speaker
repairs. In any event VU meters got to be a lot more useful than are Tice
Clocks (or the benefits of polishing CDs with Armor All as purported some
time ago in one nameless Stereo magazine).

The true vU meter is designed to be used across a 600 ohm line level
input. The specification includes not only level but certain ballistics
which are not replicated, AFAIK, by power amp manufacturers , including
McIntosh. While McIntosh markets its its metering as a true power
meter, since conventional microammeter galvanometer meter movements are
used, I believe it is actually accurate only for sine wave power into a
resistive load. True RMS meterng for nonsinusoidal waveforms and true
and/or apparent or reactive power into reactive loads requires, unless
I am miostaken, metrology techniques beyond what's in the Mac meter
driver circuit.

The Dorrough electronic meter has totally replaced the mechanical vU
meter and has many great advantages. I don't know whether Dorrough
metering would be adaptable to a unbalanced, bridging -10dBm
environment, although writing Dorrough would find out. Since most
professional gear today with "+4 dBm balanced" inputs actually is
single-ended and shows a bridging load to the driving gear, I'm not
sure true vU metering even would work correctly with it.

Michael

Bruce C. Miller wrote:
[...]

Hello.

I may be a tad late here, but the Accuphase E-308 integrated amplifier
has dual VUs on its front display. I have not experienced one of these
units in person, but the specifications look promising. I'd definitely
check it out if that is what you're into. Plus, it’s a currently
produced model, which is a definite advantage in my book over vintage
equipment. For instance, scratches--regardless of how light in
appearance they may be--annoy the hell out of me, and, of course,
non-grounded power supplies would be enough to make my wallet shake.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Voice-over recording setup Drew M Pro Audio 7 December 7th 04 12:02 AM
Is this setup possible? Abhi Car Audio 1 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
Multi-Channel Amp Setup? Mark Lewis High End Audio 0 October 30th 04 04:11 PM
Save and Recall PC CMOS Setup Mike Rivers Pro Audio 13 April 1st 04 07:40 PM
Sub setup in an SUV, Single 12W7 setup or Dual 12W6 Marcello B Car Audio 4 February 20th 04 02:05 AM