Rick

Default Surge Protection

I would like some recommendations for surge protection , power conditioning
and power regulators. What do I actually need and how much should it cost?
This will be used for a two channel stereo only. (pre-amp, amp, and cdp)

Thanks
Rick

Norman M. Schwartz

"Rick" wrote in message
I would like some recommendations for surge protection , power conditioning
and power regulators. What do I actually need and how much should it cost?
This will be used for a two channel stereo only. (pre-amp, amp, and cdp)

I use Belkin "Surgemasters", as I do for my big screen TV, computer (and
washing machine).
---MIKE---

Rick, Go to http://www.brickwall.com. These protectors cost about $200
and act as a line conditioner as well as a surge protector. I have been
using one for over 10 years. I still unplug everything when expecting
or during a thunder storm. (I don't work for Brick Wall).

---MIKE---
w_tom

Any power conditioning and regulation required by that
equipment should already be inside that equipment. Also any
protection that works at the equipment is inside that
equipment. But internal transient protection assumes you have
properly earthed all incoming utilities. If not, then a
destructive transient may overwhelm protection that is already
inside that appliance.

The 'whole house' protector that also protects everything
else costs about $1 per protected appliance. Compare that to
the $200 solution that also includes the bypass wire.
Destructive transient simply bypasses the Brickwall protectors
to still get into appliance. They quietly forget to mention
that 'soft underbelly' in series mode protectors.

Effective 'secondary' protection is defined by the
building's earth ground AND how all incoming utilities connect
to it. Overall concept previously posted:
sci.electronics.repair on 17 June 2004 entitled "Repairing
Lightning Damaged Tv's" at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D6A612B19

However to summary the solution. First your household
electric must be upgraded to or exceed post 1990 NEC earthing
requirements. Second, all incoming utilities must make a
'less than 10 foot' connection to this single point earth
ground. Cable makes this connection with a hardwire. Phone
line requires a protector (provided free by the telco) to
connect each wire to this earthing.

AC electric is the most common source of destructive
transients. Each wire makes a less than 10 foot connection
via a 'whole house' protector. Some are available in Home
Depot (Intermatic IG1240RC) or in Lowes (Cutler Hammer and the
newer GE product). No effective solutions have been observed
in Radio Shack, Office Max, Sears, Staples, Walmart, Best Buy,
or K-Mart.

How to identify ineffective protector: 1) has no dedicated
connection for earth ground, and 2) manufacturer avoids all
discussion about earthing. Notice the Brickwall product meets
both criteria.

Above defines secondary protection. There is no effective
plug-in solution for secondary protection. You must also
verify primary protection:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html