Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Live Music As Reference?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

snip long Audio Empire / Arny Krueger discussion at request of moderators

We can do a lot better than that. For example I just recounted a blind
test
of loudspeakers wherein two vastly different speakers were said by a
distinguished listening panel to be in some sense closely equivalent in
terms of sound quality. I happened to discuss the setup for these
listening
tests with someone who was more intimately involved than I last night, as
we
drove to and returned from an AES meeting across the state.

Obviously the test you are referring to is the one you described here, and
the person you were riding with is David Clark. Why not name him?

It turns out that electrical equalization was used in the evaluations. The
electrical equalization was performed based on an acoustic measuring
device
called "Perceptual Transfer Function (PTF) measurement system", which is
further described he

http://www.aes.org/sections/reports/?ID=46

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2000-01-0075

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=9942

http://www.umich.edu/~aessec/clark_04_06.html

The ability of measurements made using the "Perceptual Transfer Function
(PTF) measurement system" to accurately and reliably characterize the
performance of loudspeaker systems is thus validated, as it has been
validated many other ways and at many other times.

There are probably a million or more complex audio systems whose sales
price
ranges up into the several thousand dollar range, that were designed with
heavy reference ton "Perceptual Transfer Function (PTF) measurement
system"
results, that are in daily use today. They are generally very ranked
highly
in consumer opinion testing by respected industry opinon survey
organizations.

You forgot to add that "the above is an infomercial brought to you on
behalf
of David Clark, inventor of the "Perceptual Transfer Function".

And it is interesting to note that the "blind speaker test" under
discussion
was actually a blind test of a "doctored speaker".

Why do I get a sense of ABX DejaVu?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

snip long Audio Empire / Arny Krueger discussion at
request of moderators

We can do a lot better than that. For example I just
recounted a blind test
of loudspeakers wherein two vastly different speakers
were said by a distinguished listening panel to be in
some sense closely equivalent in terms of sound quality.
I happened to discuss the setup for these listening
tests with someone who was more intimately involved than
I last night, as we
drove to and returned from an AES meeting across the
state.

Obviously the test you are referring to is the one you
described here, and the person you were riding with is
David Clark. Why not name him?

As usual Harry, your wild speculations are false. David Clark is presently
at the London AES. I rode with another person who was also at the speaker
tests that I have been describing. FWIW, my fellow traveler is also a happy
PTF user/advocate.

Clark's presence in London will probably show up in some public AES
documents down the road. The AES section meeting I went to in Grand Rapids,
likewise.

[...]

Just the facts.

And it is interesting to note that the "blind speaker
test" under discussion
was actually a blind test of a "doctored speaker".

Typical of you Harry to fault us for failing to perform an impossible test,
a test in which the two speakers have identical frequency response straight
out of their boxes.

Why do I get a sense of ABX DejaVu?

The false speculations?

Yet another demonstration of advanced audio technology?