Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Just bought a Korg MR-1 DSD recorder.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

snip

- if they
had said "oh, you just need to do a,b,c and then it will
work, that would have been fine, if they had said, you
can have the new "free" software for $20, that would have
been fine, but to say "you can have the new free software
for $250" is not something I care to put up with. this
actually could have been a user issue, but their attitude
certainly didn't help at all

I'm not getting this story, because I only paid $99 for my Presonus
Inspire
in the first place.

Secondly, recording software literally grows on trees - you can download
Audacity any time you want to and it does all the basic jobs involved with
recording.

I am sure you are much smarter, better informed, and far more capable than
I. All I wanted to do was transfer some RTR tapes to a CD. I don't want to
spend time learning about special recording software, nor searching the web
to find it, nor figuring out how to make it recognize a device connected to
my computer - I've done that kind of stuff and I don't enjoy it. This
company sold me a product and walked away when I needed something only 18
months later. Maybe you paid less than I - remember I said you were
smarter - I went to a local music equipment retailer and bought the product
they recommended for my purposes and paid their price - remember, my goal
was to record something, not to have a shopping experience or to do an
extensive trade study. My unit is now sold, it went for $75, I'll ship it
to its new home and be rid of it. I'll never buy another of their products
except at 1/10 cent or less on the dollar for immediate resale, and I'll
never recommend or use one of their products. The reason for my post here
was that the experience contrasts with the support I got from TASCAM, and it
is relevant to this thread because when you buy a piece of equipment that
might require specialized support, it's nice to get it. It is possible
that some others here might feel likewise, and that of those that feel
likewise there might be some who could benefit. As I said, you are smarter
and better informed and more capable, so I'm sure you don't need that
benefit.

And thanks for the hint about audacity, I'll try really hard to remember the
name in case I need some kind of recording software in the future - I hope
not to, but one never knows, I have some interesting records in less than
pristine condition that could benefit from some careful processing - maybe
it will help (but not this year)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

[...]

Hire a consultant!

This company
sold me a product and walked away when I needed something
only 18 months later.

I'm still trying to figure out what that was.

Maybe you paid less than I -
remember I said you were smarter - I went to a local
music equipment retailer and bought the product they
recommended for my purposes and paid their price -
remember, my goal was to record something, not to have a
shopping experience or to do an extensive trade study.
My unit is now sold, it went for $75, I'll ship it to its
new home and be rid of it. I'll never buy another of
their products except at 1/10 cent or less on the dollar
for immediate resale, and I'll never recommend or use one
of their products. The reason for my post here was that
the experience contrasts with the support I got from
TASCAM, and it is relevant to this thread because when
you buy a piece of equipment that might require
specialized support, it's nice to get it.

Was this an apples to apples comparison?

Not that I'm partial to either - I use both vendor's gear and I have no
problem with how either supports their gear. If memory serves, people who
bought some Tascam audio interfaces got hung out to dry by Tascam and
Windows 7, and they don't have the recourse that you did with your Presonus
box.

And thanks for the hint about audacity, I'll try really
hard to remember the name in case I need some kind of
recording software in the future - I hope not to, but one
never knows, I have some interesting records in less than
pristine condition that could benefit from some careful
processing - maybe it will help (but not this year)

There are many people here who would have given you the same advice about
Audacity. Enjoy!