Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Frank[_12_] Frank[_12_] is offline

Default Replacement Filter Cap Recommendation

Hi all.

I've decided to replace the 20 year old filter caps in my Kinergetics SW200
subwoofer amp/crossover. Currently, there are two (2) screw terminal Phillips
10,000uf 75V caps measuring 3.5" high with a radius of 2".

Any recs on a current, fast replacement cap would be appreciated.

Also, would there be any advantages to going with a higher capacitance rating or
should I stick with 10K? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:48:02 -0800, Frank wrote
(in article ):

Hi all.

I've decided to replace the 20 year old filter caps in my Kinergetics SW200
subwoofer amp/crossover. Currently, there are two (2) screw terminal
Phillips
10,000uf 75V caps measuring 3.5" high with a radius of 2".

Any recs on a current, fast replacement cap would be appreciated.

Also, would there be any advantages to going with a higher capacitance rating

or
should I stick with 10K? Thanks.

Generally, the component values chosen in a crossover determine that
crossover's characteristics. Installing larger caps will likely (I don't know
this for sure, not having seen the schematic), if they are crossover caps,
change the frequency at which the crossover occurs. On the other hand, it is
more likely that these caps are electrolytics used in the subwoofer
amplifier's power supply as filters. Are you changing them because the amp is
humming or misbehaving in some other way? Because if the subs are working
normally, there is no reason to change them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Frank" wrote in message

Hi all.

I've decided to replace the 20 year old filter caps in my
Kinergetics SW200 subwoofer amp/crossover. Currently,
there are two (2) screw terminal Phillips 10,000uf 75V
caps measuring 3.5" high with a radius of 2".

Why?

Have you diagnosed a problem with this unit?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....626200+1323043

Also, would there be any advantages to going with a
higher capacitance rating or should I stick with 10K?
Thanks.

What are your priorities?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Frank[_12_] Frank[_12_] is offline

In article , says...

[...]

The bass is not as tight as it used to be but still sounds very good and a hum has
developed, but you need to be very close to the drivers to hear it. The hum was
never there before and considering the 20 year old age, I just think it's time to
refresh the caps. I find it hard to believe that 20 year old electro caps are still
performing up to spec. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:49:04 -0800, Frank wrote
(in article ):

In article ,

says...

[...]

Well, it's possible. But my experience is that old electrolytics dry out with
disuse, not while being used all the time. OTOH, if the hum is caused by
leaky caps, replacing them CAN solve the problem (assuming it's not something
else). Yes, you can use larger value ones than are called for without much
problem. Theoretically, you are supposed to put multiple, parallel filter
caps with a resistor between them to form a classic "pi" filter with the
filter frequency as some multiple of 50-60 Hz (depending on whether a
half-wave of full-wave rectifier is used in the circuit ,IIRC), but I have
found it to not be that critical.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Frank" wrote in message

The bass is not as tight as it used to be but still
sounds very good and a hum has developed, but you need to
be very close to the drivers to hear it. The hum was
never there before...

Ah, a distinct symptom!

On the outside chance that the new hum is due to an enviromental situation
(e.g., change to grounding such as indirect connection to cable antenna
system), check to see how much hum the subwoofer amp has with no input
attached.

and considering the 20 year old age, I
just think it's time to refresh the caps.

20 years is not necessarily the bell tolling for a well-made electrolytic
cap.

I find it hard
to believe that 20 year old electro caps are still
performing up to spec.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I've seen a ton of well-made equipment meet spec after 20-30 years.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
sparky sparky is offline

On Mar 1, 9:49=A0pm, (Frank) wrote:
In article , says...

[...]

Why do you suspect that the caps in the crossover are causing the hum?
Most hum is caused by inductive pickup, poor grounds, or a faulty
power supply.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] zekor@comcast.net is offline

On Mar 2, 8:28=A0pm, sparky wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:49=A0pm, (Frank) wrote:

In article , =

says...

[...]

The amps caps can be checked. Charge discharge, and ESR. I would first
check all screw down terminals and crimps, after disconnecting all
inputs and checking for hum, and relocating. I have never replaced a
large capacitor, except for blown ones.

greg