Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] themend@gmail.com is offline

Default Monster Power Amp by Stephie Bench and Myself

Hello all,

Since Phil Allison basically dared me to 'ever post here again' I thought I would do a double edged post, simultaneously contributing something to RAT members, and ****ing of this loudmouth even more than I already have. I kinda wanted to keep this thing as my little special secret, but I think that perhaps sharing it with everyone except this jerk will give me even greater pleasure!

Last century, I commissioned Stephie Bench to help me pull off a homebrew amp of epic proportions. The goal was simple - 100W of the cleanest tube power possible, with the best iron available, an all tube power supply, and cost as no object. In keeping with the 'cost no object' philosophy, Stephie added the ability for this amp to run in 6 different classes of operation, all available at the turn of a dial.

Any RAT Member (except Phil Allison, Andre Jute, and their ilk) who PMs me with a request gets to have a copy of this incredible schematic. I may make you jump through a hoop or two to prove who you are, but I am on the level as one RAT member can already attest.

The amplifier is like nothing that's ever been built. Based around HK Citation II OPTs, and using Lundahl interstage transformers as the phase splitters and drivers, it is capable of running in 6 different modes at the turn of a knob, and can output from 3-100 Watts. It can use either two or 4 output tubes per channel, 6550, KT-88, or KT-90. The power supply is all tube rectified and stabilized, consisting of 15 tubes by itself. All metering for the amp is built in, and includes voltage, bias, and output measurements.

Stephie Bench did some absolutely amazing work on this project (what else is new?). I was responsible for the design concept and selection of components, Stephie did all the technical heavy lifting and testing, and produced an amazing set of schematics and documentation. The THD and frequency response of this amp even with no feedback applied was fantastic, applying feedback via the feedback pot makes this thing ruler flat.

It is available for sharing with RAT members present and past, but it is NOT to be produced commercially in part or in whole without royalty agreements in place with myself and Stephie Bench, and is not to be posted on the web or in publications. Other than that, you are free to build one of these and if you do please send me pics and progress reports! You also agree not to reveal my real name here on RAT, since I don't feel like subjecting myself to stalker-like behavior that I have witnessed in the past. Other than those caviats, this is a freebie, and one of the wildest amps you are ever likely to see. Please PM me if you want a copy.

I was just going to post it here, but I was so quickly reminded by Mr. Allison why I left RAT in the first place, over 10 years ago. I have no interest in hearing his ill-mannered opinions, nor sharing my hard work with him. That goes for Andy Burlap too.

Cheers!

-forkinthesocket