Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Galen Henderson Galen Henderson is offline

Default Question about a crossover

Hello all. I am not sure if this is the correct newsgroup to ask this
on or what... so here goes...

I lost my license (long story) and no longer need the subwoofers in my
truck. I want to build some nice enclosures and use them in my=20
apartment. My question is this: As you might all know, car audio=20
components are mostly 4ohm and home stereo is 8. I have a spare=20
channel on my antique Technics AV receiver (dolby pro-logic even ).
I want to drive these subs with this receiver. My question has to do
with crossovers. What will the difference in impedence do to the=20
crossover frequency and slope of some heretofore unpurchased passive=20
crossovers?

Thanks in advance for any comments/replies.

--=20
Regards,
Galen
------
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand=20
binary and those who don't.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] zekor@comcast.net is offline

On Mar 25, 6:45=A0am, "Galen Henderson" galen-keep-the-
wrote:
Hello all. =A0I am not sure if this is the correct newsgroup to ask this
on or what... so here goes...

I lost my license (long story) and no longer need the subwoofers in my
truck. =A0I want to build some nice enclosures and use them in my
apartment. =A0My question is this: =A0As you might all know, car audio
components are mostly 4ohm and home stereo is 8. =A0I have a spare
channel on my antique Technics AV receiver (dolby pro-logic even ).
=A0I want to drive these subs with this receiver. =A0My question has to d=

with crossovers. =A0What will the difference in impedence do to the

--
Regards,
Galen

You would probably using at least one series choke, and you have to
know the resistance. You can either read the specs or measure it.
Thats going to change the box requirements depending on resistance.
Unless your using a bandpass, the crossover frequency will set the
crossover frequency and impedance around that point.
greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Galen Henderson[_2_] Galen Henderson[_2_] is offline

Hi, Scott.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:55:00 UTC, ScottW wrote:

=20
My kid has some car subs and they were 2 ohm so be careful.
=20
Why not include a subwoofer amp from Parts Express to your enclosure?
=20
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...hExt=3D3DCAT&=

srchCa=3D
t=3D3D505
=20
Then use the line level subout from your AVreceiver or the speaker
level inputs on the subamp with it's crossover.
=20
You'll have a lot more flexibility in setting up your sub going this
route and won't load your receiver down with a load it can't handle.
=20
ScottW
=20

Thanks for your reply. These are 4ohm Cerwin Vega XL-15s. I do have=20
a spare 1200WRMS car amp, but I am afraid of what a dc power source=20
which can supply the kind of amperage it would require would cost. =20
Short of stashing a battery somewhere in the apartment, I can't think=20
of any other way to do it cheaply...

--=20
Regards,
Galen
------
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand=20
binary and those who don't.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Galen Henderson[_2_] Galen Henderson[_2_] is offline

Hello again. I wanted to use both B channels of the old Technics but=20
I guess I could wire the 4 ohm subs in series. I just hate to waste=20
100WRMS on an empty channel...

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:55:00 UTC, ScottW wrote:

[ Excess quoting snipped -- dsr ]

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DJ[_3_] DJ[_3_] is offline

Hi Galen,

If your subs are 4 Ohms nominal, to make them 8 Ohms, just wire them
together in series (which doubles the impedance) to the one channel and you
should be in business.

If you don't know how to do this, see this website for directions on how to
do it...

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Happy listening!

-DJ

"Galen Henderson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Active crossover question Citizen-Y Car Audio 5 December 14th 06 04:47 PM
Crossover choice question EJG Tech 2 January 9th 05 07:38 PM
Infinity 20.1XP Crossover Question... Matt Bhame Car Audio 1 April 8th 04 04:30 PM
MTX Crossover Question Mark Zarella Car Audio 0 August 27th 03 01:43 PM
simple crossover question Jive Dadson General 1 July 25th 03 07:23 PM