Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Help regarding speakers

Mike - it is perfectly reasonable to have the surround replaced - many ol=
d=20
radio restorers do this themselves, or you can send the speakers out to h=
ave=20
it done - that way you keep the originals

"---MIKE---" wrote in message=20
I have a pair of old DBX soundfield one speakers. The 10 inch woofers
(there are eight) have developed "surround rot" and need to be replaced=

..
Does anyone have any contacts that might be able to help me?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')=20

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

Mike - it is perfectly reasonable to have the surround
replaced - many old radio restorers do this themselves,
or you can send the speakers out to have it done - that
way you keep the originals

From what I've seen and hard, loudspeaker refoaming is not necessarily easy
or assured of success. You might want to make a few trial runs on a scrap
driver before you put a fine legacy piece on the line. The usual error
results in a rubbing voice coil.

The usual way to test speakers for rubbing voice coils is to take a signal
generator and a power amp and run a high-powered sweep from 20 to 200 Hz.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

agree with these risks - so take care or vend out - the one time I tried it
(cheap salvaged speakers) it worked "OK" the second time around - when the
repair failed after a decade I removed the magnets and discarded the
speakers.

if you can't find a place, ask on rec.antiques.radio+phono

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote in message

Mike - it is perfectly reasonable to have the surround
replaced - many old radio restorers do this themselves,
or you can send the speakers out to have it done - that
way you keep the originals

From what I've seen and hard, loudspeaker refoaming is not necessarily
easy