Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.marketplace
[email protected] proclou4@yahoo.com is offline

Default FA: McINTOSH MAC 1700 TUBE RF RCVR DAVE O'BRIEN CERTIFIED 220095054145

McINTOSH MAC 1700 TUBE RF RCVR DAVE O'BRIEN CERTIFIED
Item number: 220095054145

Time left: 2 hours 49 mins
History: 21 bids
Current bid: US $232.49

Current bid: US $232.49

Starting time: Mar-21-07 23:39:31 PDT
Starting bid: US $0.01
Duration: 3-day listing

Seller: mbzdiesel( 12Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feedback: 87.5% Positive
Member: since Aug-08-05 in United States
Read feedback comments

Description
This is a McIntosh MAC 1700 receiver with the tube RF section. It
has original service and owner's manuals and a July 2, 1973 dated
proof of performance paper signed by the recently late Dave O'Brien
(and the label is on the power transformer endbell as well) and the
original service contract from 1968 when the set was sold. It will
pick up nearly every local FM station in kansas city with just a
finger placed on the RF antenna screws. The tuning meter shows
deflecion as the knob is turned.

(Dave O'Brien, for those who may not know, was an engineer who toured
from 1962 to 1992 across the US with test equipment at dealers to
demonstrate Mc gear and fix any ailing Mc sets. He was a big part of
why Mcintosh was as successful as it was in those great years. He
became a Silent Squawker, sadly, about two months ago and will be much
missed. See http://www.roger-russell.com/clinics.htm )

It also has a McIntosh Catalog from somewhat earlier in its paperwork
showing the MC225/240/275 Amplifiers amd both C22 and C24 preamps.
There is no date on this but it has to be from between 1968 and 1972,
because the tube stereo power amps were discontinued in that year.
The catalog is white and says mcintosh, nothing else, on front, and
says 038-117.

The receiver has the beautiful walnut grain finish cabinet which is
nearly mint as well. This set is cosmetically almost perfect with only
a hint of age darkening the front panel. I have never been inside this
set and have chosen not to uncase it or tear into it because of
cosmetic importance. I know of no flaws in its operation BUT remember,
it's older than Marilyn Monroe lived to be! I would recommend that if
you are going to use it you plan on changing the filter caps as well
as some recommended service mods this model should have. Due to age
all sales will be final on this set.

I bought this set from the owner's family years ago and set it up
for my grandmother. With a Romex dipole across the ceiling, from her
house in Gardner, KS it would receive KRLI in Malta Bend, MO-100+
miles out- pretty well on good nights (a GE Superadio on the same
antenna did not even sense it.) She would not listen to any other
station after that and would complain that she could not hear it all
the time. Eventually we put a Yagi in the attic and I hooked up a
channelized McMartin rebroadcast receiver to it and the antenna made
far more difference than the receiver. I have had it sitting in my
house since 2001 when she passed on and have not used it. It powered
up fine as you see in the picture.

The power of protection from AOL and eBay. Learn more
Questions from other members
Question & Answer Answered On
Q: Hi,I'm Apinin. How much cheapest cost to ship it to Thailand.
Mar-23-07
A: I'm not sure but I would pay for the packing and bill you the
actual cost only. Weight is 34 lbs plus the wood cabinet adds some,
maybe 5 lbs, plus packing...more
Ask seller a question

Not Available
Learn about payment methods
Helpful information
eBay recommended services
Pay online with your credit card. It is free! Sign up for PayPal.