Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Charmed Snark[_2_] Charmed Snark[_2_] is offline

Default Valve Numbering Systems : 6K7 vs 6SK7

Today, while reading the section "Valve Numbering Systems" on page
11 of the "Radiotron Designer's Handbook" (4th ed), I came across
something that seems a bit puzzling. I thought I understood what
they meant until I checked out the two web links for the examples
listed (below).

quote

The second symbol is a letter which is allotted in sequence
commencing with A, except that I and O are not used; rectifiers
follow the sequence backwards commencing at Z. When all the single
letters of a group are exhausted, the system then proceeds with two
letters commencing with AB; combinations of identical letters are
not normally used.

***

The single-ended a.c. range has a first letter S while the second
letter may be that of the nearest equivalent in the double-ended
range -- e.g. type 6SK7 is the nearest single-ended equivalent to
type 6K7.

***
/quote

Apart from some small differences in parameters and pins, I see very
little difference between these two examples (6SK7 vs 6K7)

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../001/6/6K7.gif
http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/6SK7.gif

In what sense is the text referring to single vs double-ended? What
seems suspicious to me is the use of "double-ended range". Can
someone clarify what exactly they meant by this?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Yves Monmagnon Yves Monmagnon is offline

"Charmed Snark" you_no_spam_me@eh a écrit dans le message de news:
.. .
[...]

Double ended indicates a top cap connection. Here the grid1.

Yves.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Charmed Snark[_2_] Charmed Snark[_2_] is offline

On 22 Mar 2007, "Yves Monmagnon" wrote in
rec.audio.tubes:

[...]

Ah... _that_ kind of double-ended. ;-)

Thanks

need help with valve amp bluesin Vacuum Tubes 20 February 14th 06 09:27 PM
Not valve again :-) its Dave xxxxx Vacuum Tubes 4 September 13th 04 10:50 PM
Why Valve? Chelvam High End Audio 8 September 2nd 04 12:45 AM
Best valve el 34 Jan Alstrøm Vacuum Tubes 7 November 19th 03 09:29 PM
Numbering Audio Snake Fan Andrew Huculak Pro Audio 15 October 1st 03 08:07 PM