Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ericdavidjohnston@gmail.com is offline

Default Need help setting up recording studio

I'm trying to duplicate a recording studio setup that I saw in Africa
a few years back, but I'm very much a newbie and am having trouble
figuring it out. The basic components are a DAW (meaning a PC with
Cubase), a large analog mixer and a Tascam DM-24 + firewire interface
card. I want to be able to record bands and mix them on my analog
mixer and capture all of the tracks in my computer. Can somebody tell
me where I can look for help? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Well assuming you have the means to duplicate the setup you can start with
the DM-24 and a computer, and some mics, cables and stands (musicians too).
If you are doing 24 inputs or less you won't need the large mixing console.
Setting it all up would require a lot of reading. You will also need to get
some good books on recording (covering mic selection, placement techniques,
wiring, DI of insturments, etc etc). With this setup you probably won't
want to bother with a lot of outboard effects as lots of it can be done in
Cubase after you record it. The DM-24 comes with lots of effects already
built in but you probably want to record everything raw. Cubase has good
manuals on the software but won't tell you how to "mix". Get a copy of "The
Art Of Mixing". Great book on EQ, Compression, Gating and other subjects.
If you really want to get into it you also want to read about room acoustics
when recording everything in one room. This can be done much cheaper than a
Tascam DM-24. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of the DM-24
then you could always pick up a mixing board (if your interface does not
have mic preamps) and an audio interface (Check out m-audio, presonus, rme,
Mark of the unicorn). This would get everything into the PC for mixing.

Hope this gets you started;
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to duplicate a recording studio setup that I saw in Africa
a few years back, but I'm very much a newbie and am having trouble
figuring it out. The basic components are a DAW (meaning a PC with
Cubase), a large analog mixer and a Tascam DM-24 + firewire interface
card. I want to be able to record bands and mix them on my analog
mixer and capture all of the tracks in my computer. Can somebody tell
me where I can look for help? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ericdavidjohnston@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for your reply and for your good advice. I already own the
DM-24 and I am hoping I don't have to buy another interface to get
everything into my computer. The reason I want to use the analog mixer
is just that I know how to get the sound I want using it. I guess it
probably doesn't make much sense to use the DM-24 as just a really
fancy interface, but is it possible to connect my analog mixer to the
DM-24 so that all the tracks will get into Cubase?

On Mar 26, 7:38 pm, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm trying to duplicate a recording studio setup that I saw in Africa
a few years back, but I'm very much a newbie and am having trouble
figuring it out. The basic components are a DAW (meaning a PC with
Cubase), a large analog mixer and a Tascam DM-24 + firewire interface
card. I want to be able to record bands and mix them on my analog
mixer and capture all of the tracks in my computer. Can somebody tell
me where I can look for help? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ups.com
I'm trying to duplicate a recording studio setup that I
saw in Africa a few years back, but I'm very much a
newbie and am having trouble figuring it out. The basic
components are a DAW (meaning a PC with Cubase), a large
analog mixer and a Tascam DM-24 + firewire interface
card. I want to be able to record bands and mix them on
my analog mixer and capture all of the tracks in my
computer.

I don't know about DM-24 digital consoles, but I know what I'd do with my
02R96 if I had a firewire interface for it.

I'd route all the 02R96 direct outs to the firewire interface, and use the
02R96 for real-time monitoring.

Since I'm on a budget and don't have a firewire interface for the 02R96, I
do essentially the same thing via some ADA 8000s running into some Delta
1010LT audio interfaces. Gratuitous round trip through the analog domain
notwithstanding.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 26, 11:30 pm, wrote:
Thanks for your reply and for your good advice. I already own the
DM-24 and I am hoping I don't have to buy another interface to get
everything into my computer.

The reason I want to use the analog mixer
is just that I know how to get the sound I want using it. I guess it
probably doesn't make much sense to use the DM-24 as just a really
fancy interface, but is it possible to connect my analog mixer to the
DM-24 so that all the tracks will get into Cubase?

You're right, it makes no sense at all to do this, but if you insist,
you can use the bus outputs, or direct outputs if they're post-EQ,
from the analog mixer and connect those to the line inputs of the
DM-24. But if you want to mix your recorded tracks on the analog
console, I'm not sure if the DM-24 has routing that will let you take
an input from the computer and route it to a channel's direct output.
I suspect that the input from the Firewire card comes past that analog
connector.

Why do you want to keep the DM-24 if you're only going to use it as an
interface to your computer? Sell the DM-24 (if you can!) and buy a
nice analog multitrack recording console and as many channels of
Firewire interface as you need.