Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] woodenflutes@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Adapting RCA inputs on mixer to 1/4" phone or XLR?

Not sure where to post this question....might be too "newb" for this
forum.

I have a small P.A. system for playing live - a Yamaha Stagepas 300.
It's got six channels. Problem is, channel six only has stereo RCA
inputs (it's intended for a CD deck, minidisc, etc.).

Since I don't use a playback deck, this seems like a waste of a
perfectly good channel (since it has a fader & EQ on it).

I would like to adapt this channel so I can at least use it as a
guitar/mandolin/etc. patch chord input. Only catch is, there is no
gain knob on this channel (it expects a line-level input from a tape
deck, etc.)

I'm assuming I'll need some sort of combination of a D.I. & pre-amp
type box with 1/4" phone inputs, and RCA type outputs.

Does anything like this exist?

I realise I could just buy a small mixer to use as a sub-mixer....but
I'd like to keep things as minimal as possible - keeping in the spirit
of the whole Stagepas as a very small, portable system.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure where to post this question....might be too "newb" for this
forum.

I have a small P.A. system for playing live - a Yamaha Stagepas 300.
It's got six channels. Problem is, channel six only has stereo RCA
inputs (it's intended for a CD deck, minidisc, etc.).

Since I don't use a playback deck, this seems like a waste of a
perfectly good channel (since it has a fader & EQ on it).

I would like to adapt this channel so I can at least use it as a
guitar/mandolin/etc. patch chord input. Only catch is, there is no
gain knob on this channel (it expects a line-level input from a tape
deck, etc.)

I'm assuming I'll need some sort of combination of a D.I. & pre-amp
type box with 1/4" phone inputs, and RCA type outputs.

Does anything like this exist?

Not quite, but you can get preamps with 1/4" jacks designed specifically for
use with pickups. A patch cord with 1/4" on one end and RCA on the other,
and you're home free.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt Walt is offline

wrote:
Not sure where to post this question....might be too "newb" for this
forum.

I have a small P.A. system for playing live - a Yamaha Stagepas 300.
It's got six channels. Problem is, channel six only has stereo RCA
inputs (it's intended for a CD deck, minidisc, etc.).

I would like to adapt this channel so I can at least use it as a
guitar/mandolin/etc. patch chord input. Only catch is, there is no
gain knob on this channel (it expects a line-level input from a tape
deck, etc.)

I'm assuming I'll need some sort of combination of a D.I. & pre-amp
type box with 1/4" phone inputs, and RCA type outputs.

Does anything like this exist?

Connectorology is not the issue here - adaptors that allow you to plug a
1/4" plug into an RCA jack are readily available for single digit prices.

Signal level (and to a lesser extent impedance) is the real issue. The
RCA jack inputs on your mixer are expecting something in the -10 dbV
range for signal. Your guitar/mandolin/etc. is probably putting out
about 20 db less than that, so you'll need a preamp somewhere in the
signal chain. Or, depending on the pickup, you might be able to crank
up the gain enough to drive the channel without. I'd say try that first
and see where you are. If you need a preamp, something like this should
work:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/332512.html

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 21, 3:28 pm, Walt wrote:

Connectorology is not the issue here - adaptors that allow you to plug a
1/4" plug into an RCA jack are readily available for single digit prices.

Signal level (and to a lesser extent impedance) is the real issue.

Thanks guys....so a pre-amp is all I have to worry about, and I can
use any generic 1/4" to RCA adaptor to plug the pre-amp into channel
six. Great.

Now....what about taking it a step further and putting and using an
unbalanced mic on that channel? Just dreaming here, or could I go
from MIC to PREAMP to RCA inputs on channel? I guess I'd basically
need a higher quality pre-amp in this case than the Fishman linked to
above.....in this case I'm guessing it's probably better to get one of
those tiny behringer 2 or 4 channel mixers to serve as a pre-amp/
submixer on that channel....that way I could use both a pickup-guitar
or a mic'd instrument on that channel.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 21, 4:10 pm, "
wrote:

Now....what about taking it a step further and putting and using an
unbalanced mic on that channel?

It won't work. The channel doesn't have enough gain for a microphone,
balanced or unbalanced.

could I go from MIC to PREAMP to RCA inputs on channel?

Yup. I think you get the idea.

.....in this case I'm guessing it's probably better to get one of
those tiny behringer 2 or 4 channel mixers to serve as a pre-amp/
submixer on that channel....that way I could use both a pickup-guitar
or a mic'd instrument on that channel.

That isn't the best quality preamp but it's probably the cheapest way
to go. Spring for a mixer that has "Insert" jacks that you can use as
direct outputs. That will give you the option of using just the mic
preamp section without passing through sections of the mixer that you
don't need.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Lamp John Lamp is offline

Walt wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Or use an Australian Monitor SC2
http://www.australianmonitor.com.au/...geID=3&cid=115

Cheers
Goaty
--
_--_|\ John Lamp - in beautiful downtown Highton
/ \ meanderings. 2200-2400 Wednesday

"You know, if the internet was analogue with tubes, this stuff
wouldn't happen." - Sean S