Distracted

Default Interview Microphones AMG D230 v EV 635A

In another exchange ("Microphone for Interviews"), the EV635A was
recommended as *THE* microphone for broadcast interviews. Someone else
has recommended the AKG D230 as an alternative. The AKG is more
attractive in terms of pricing, but can anyone offer other differences?

Thanks.

Scott Dorsey

Distracted wrote:
In another exchange ("Microphone for Interviews"), the EV635A was
recommended as *THE* microphone for broadcast interviews. Someone else
has recommended the AKG D230 as an alternative. The AKG is more
attractive in terms of pricing, but can anyone offer other differences?

I don't think there's really that significant a difference between them,
although the AKG looks more "modern" on camera. You can't get a long
version for more reach, though. The D230 might have somewhat better
shockmounting (although the EV RE-50 will do even better).

Beyerdynamic and Shure also make dynamic omnis for interview work.
You can use any of them and be happy.
RD Jones

Distracted wrote:

In another exchange ("Microphone for Interviews"), the EV635A was
recommended as *THE* microphone for broadcast interviews. Someone else
has recommended the AKG D230 as an alternative. The AKG is more
attractive in terms of pricing, but can anyone offer other differences?

Thanks.

If price is the determining factor you could
even get by with the Radio Shack omni dynamic
model 33-1070. Looks a lot like the EV RE50
but I think it's actually made by Shure.
No longer sold new but they should be plentiful
used and on eBay. I see them quite often at
hamfests in the $20-$30 range.

rd

Distracted

Brilliant, thanks all. I'll probably run with the AKG - if I ever need
a longer reach, I'll stop biting my fingernails and insist on arty
close-up.

Thank you Scott and RD. Legends both.

Scott Dorsey

Distracted wrote:
Brilliant, thanks all. I'll probably run with the AKG - if I ever need
a longer reach, I'll stop biting my fingernails and insist on arty
close-up.

The big deal with the long reach is that if you're trying to get a
mike in someone's face while fifty other reporters are trying to
do the same thing, having a mike handle that is a few inches longer
puts you at an advantage.

That's wht the 635A is also available as the 635L. I think the RE-50
and some of the Shure mikes also have long handle options.

The Beyerdynamic reporter mikes are available with long handle options
that are even longer than the EV ones, but they cost more than any
of the others.

The 635L is also handy for rear-miking of guitar cabinets because you
can get in closer to the cone with a mike on a desk stand.

dtube

I have worked with RE-50's and 635's in the TV realm and can certainly
vouch for their durability. Sonically though...well, they sound great
on TV. I also have a couple Shure SM63L's for college student news
production that have survived a couple years (one of them was also my
primary crowd mic for football and b-ball radio broadcasts for a couple
years prior). They sound fine for video/TV purposes as well. The
Shure's do get my bang-for-the-buck award. Beware that they do have a
plastic-mesh grille though. Last year, I spent an afternoon going over
spec's on the AKG 230, RE50, and BeyerDynamic M58. Based on the
factory-supplied response graphs,the Beyer looked better on paper. So,
I went ahead and got one. After it came, I got out a decent preamp and
headphones and compared it with the SM63's, an RE50, and a 635. To my
ears, the Beyer was the best sounding dynamic omni I have heard so far.
As an added bonus, the stock handle is pretty long, too. I have only
used the M58 as a crowd mic for one season of b-ball; so far without
incident. Football season is coming - my long-term opinion will be
based on how it survives in the remote bag and being subjected to the
elements.
-Darren

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/com/product/sheets/d17.php3

Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Distracted wrote:

In another exchange ("Microphone for Interviews"), the EV635A was
recommended as *THE* microphone for broadcast interviews. Someone else
has recommended the AKG D230 as an alternative. The AKG is more
attractive in terms of pricing, but can anyone offer other differences?

I don't think there's really that significant a difference between them,
although the AKG looks more "modern" on camera. You can't get a long
version for more reach, though.

The D230 is longer than the standard 635 (but not as long as the L
version is.)
Scott Dorsey

dtube wrote:
I went ahead and got one. After it came, I got out a decent preamp and
headphones and compared it with the SM63's, an RE50, and a 635. To my
ears, the Beyer was the best sounding dynamic omni I have heard so far.

You know, I have never done that test. I'd be curious if you can compare
the RE-55 with the Beyer. The RE-55 is the best sounding omni I've heard,
I think, but it has too much low end to be a really good interview mike
and it's also much too easy to damage (and is currently unrepairable).

As an added bonus, the stock handle is pretty long, too. I have only
used the M58 as a crowd mic for one season of b-ball; so far without
incident. Football season is coming - my long-term opinion will be
based on how it survives in the remote bag and being subjected to the
elements.

How is the bottom end?
dtube

How is the bottom end?

Hi Scott,

It seems to fall off a little more gradually on the Beyer, -3dB @ 100hz
according to their specs. But, that is not much different than the
rest in the pact. Ultimately, I suppose that a good TV reporting mic
should not be capable of carrying the rumble from the generator in the
adjacent production truck or the intestinal utterings emnating from the
reporter who is holding the damned thing next to their gut (which is
why a long handle is necessary, btw)...

Seeing as you're a pretty upright guy who I have had the pleasure of
doing business with, I'd be more than happy to send it over for you to
play with for a couple weeks - my M58 is off-line until mid August.
E-me if you're interested. I'd be interested in your take on it (I
could send over a Shure as well).
-D