Roger W. Norman

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Logan Shaw wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
In article

writes:

In case you are wondering, no I didn't read this stuff, I'm *doing*

this
stuff. There is no reason at all to shy away from either Intel's or

AMD's
64-bit desktop processors right now.

But if it's necessary to accommodate "common" applications with a
different software setup, chances are the hardware will be outdated by
the time you're ready to pull the big switch.

Possibly, but looking at it from the other point of view, the 64-bit
hardware seems quite stable now. On the Intel side, 64-bit is a fairly
new feature. But on the AMD side, you essentially cannot buy a

processor
that isn't 64-bit unless you go with a pretty old model. So, it seems
that 64-bit is coming to the mainstream fairly soon.

The point is, it's quite possible that the hardware will be outdated
before some people want to run a 64-bit OS on it. On the other hand,
it's also quite possible that the opposite will happen, and it'd be
nice not to be forced into buying a new computer when the old hardware
is still working well enough.

That'll be the day ! I'm sure Microsoft will find some way of sapping the

computing power too.

Graham

Bull. Apple ][s still run Dr. T's. As long as one freezes what they work
with at the level of computer environment in which it works, the worst thing
is when the hardware itself fails. Otherwise, MS can't come down to my old
computer and make it mis-manage something.
--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

But if it's necessary to accommodate "common" applications with a
different software setup, chances are the hardware will be outdated by
the time you're ready to pull the big switch.

Possibly, but looking at it from the other point of view, the 64-bit
hardware seems quite stable now.

Perhaps so, but this doesn't matter to the hobbyist/experimenter. When
another few tenths of a gigahertz CPU speed is available, he'll get a
new motherboard and CPU. I'm unusual in that I've been running the
same computer in the studio since 1997 - a Pentium II, originally
running Win95, now Win98SE. But I only use it for 2-track editing and
documentation, so I don't need to upgrade it. I keep being tempted by
new gadgets and software though, and I suppose eventually I'll break
down. Roger has already offered me a new case, so I have a start. g

You better come pick it up, Mike. When I had the plumbing changed over from
galvanized pipe to copper I had to break down the control room (and studio).
Now the older computer doesn't work. I believe the psu failed, but since
I'm now on the A64 I haven't worried about it. But you never know. I was
planning on giving JV the AMD 1600+, so he might top you if you don't get
here fast! g

I can't support everyone when it comes to dollars! g But honestly, I am
going to find some time and yank the Antec out of the new case and check my
old system. Too much landscaping and not enough music is making Roger a mad
boy. But you'll get the case WITH the Antec. I might even be able to come
up with a DVD-RW for you too, but since John has it, I'm not sure if it's
coming back or not.
--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

However, as with that computer, I'll probaby get something that's a
notch down from the top and it will be more powerful than I'll need.

On the Intel side, 64-bit is a fairly
new feature. But on the AMD side, you essentially cannot buy a

processor
that isn't 64-bit unless you go with a pretty old model. So, it seems
that 64-bit is coming to the mainstream fairly soon.

I suppose that as long as it doesn't get in the way, it's not a big
deal, and that the upgrade to enable its full capability is just a new
operating system.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Roger W. Norman

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

If you are putting a new box together today, the price of 64 bit

components
is not that much higher than what you would spend for a similarly high

end
box. Might as well get a Socket 939 MB and a cheap Athlon 64 processor.

You
can upgrade the processor to a socket 939 compatible dual core Athlon 64

in
another 6 months when the prices come down and upgrade to XP 64 or

Longhorn

So you're suggesting that I might want to buy something that I'll
upgrade in six months? You obviously don't know me. I occasionally
make a mistake and buy something that breaks in six months, but I
don't buy things that I'll have to, or even want to upgrade in six
months.

Think about it Mike. I upgraded to the A64 right after the ECJF you spent a
couple of days helping me with. That was almost 18 months ago now, and I'm
only now bringing it online as my main computer. It does the video fine and
rendering is quite quick in comparison to the old computer, and mostly for
audio it seems fine, however I'm having some new problems since the computer
was taken offline for a few days whilst the plumbers did their job in the
studio and control room. More than likely it's the fact that I've added a
number of daily functions to the computer it didn't have to contend with
previously, but then again, the XP1600+ recorded as many tracks as I have
converters for (24) without a problem, so I have no doubt that I'll whip
this one into shape too.

The point being that the ability to upgrade in 6 months isn't the same thing
as being necessary to upgrade in 6 months.
--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

in the next year of so and still be pretty cutting edge. I think it

would be
foolish to purchase 32 bit only hardware at this point in time given the
immanent changes upon us.

It depends. When I bought my PII (that I'm still using), between the
CPU and memory, I saved about $200 by going with a 266 MHz system
rather than the state-of-the-art 300 MHz system. I wanted to put that
$200 into a larger or faster disk drive but couldn't find a 5400 RPM
(at the time state-of-the-art) drive at a civilized price, so I
settled for a 4 GB 4200 RPM drive. That worked just fine. I eventually
upgraded to a 30 GB 5400 RPM drive (which cost about $80 at the time I
bought it) but not because I needed more storage for audio, I was
working on a manual with a lot of graphics and screen shots. Since it
was for a piece of studio equipment, it was most practical to write it
on the studio computer. By that time, I wanted to add more memory
(from the original 64 MB) but slow enough memory chips were getting
hard to find. When I mentioned that on this newsgroup, someone was
kind enough to donate a cast-off to me.

Nice that some people do upgrade their computers on a regular basis.
It keeps old parts in the pipeline, as long as we don't let them get
too old. g

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Peter A. Stoll

Pooh Bear wrote in
:

snip
I recall when buying a Pentium 350 for a clent of old,

one director
asked if I shouldn't 'future proof' - lmao - it by

getting the 400MHz
version !

snip

Graham

I agree that buying a few extra MHz for "future" proofing
very rarely works, though if the increment is almost free,
it is probably a good idea. I've had some luck in getting
extra lifetime without modification on systems I configured
for my daughters by buying extra RAM, buying bigger hard
drives, and care in selecting OS (specifically, _not_
buying Windows ME when that was Dell's only official option
for home sales. On the phone, they were happy to sell me
Windows 2000, and my daughter reports it was still working
OK in her college environment this spring, while her
friends with equally old Windows ME machines with less RAM
were having heavy weather of it).

Full disclosure--I worked for Intel most of the years
between 1974 and 2004, and still own enough stock that I'll
be slightly better off if each of you wastes money buying a
higher speed grade.

Peter A. Stoll
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Think about it Mike. I upgraded to the A64 right after the ECJF you spent a
couple of days helping me with.

Gee, I didn't even know they had A64s back then. Shows how much I
don't keep up.

I'm having some new problems since the computer
was taken offline for a few days whilst the plumbers did their job in the
studio and control room.

Maybe computers are more like mechanical beasts than we think. My VCR
worked find last time I used it, maybe 8 months ago, and when I tried
it last week, the capstan didn't turn. I have a pretty good cassette
deck in the studio that I haven't used in a couple of years. When I
tried that recently, I found that the capstan didn't turn. The
cassette deck was easy - two belts had stretched to about 1-1/4 times
their length and just weren't contacting the pulleys any longer. But
somehow I have a feeling that if I had it in constant use, I'd have
found out about it long agon.

The point being that the ability to upgrade in 6 months isn't the same thing
as being necessary to upgrade in 6 months.

Right, but having that ability costs some money over not having it,
and unless you upgrade before it becomes obsolete, you won't recover
that extra cost - so there's a certain motivation to upgrade even if
you don't really need it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Edi Zubovic

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:06:54 -0700, donaldjcecil
wrote:

I am thinking on getting a 64-bit Intel chip. Any prerequisites I should
know about? Do I need a special configuration/software/etc..I will
mostly be running Reason and Cubase, and I think I will be getting an
m-audio fireware sound system.

32-bit, coming 64-bit... its just fine but _the_ bottleneck in audio
and video processing are still hard disks. Here, I'd opt for an U320
SCSI RAID0 set with at least 2, if not 4, fastest disks as of today,
Seagate Cheetah 15K.4, Maxtor Atlas, Fujitsu{IBM} MAM series... this
would give a real world 70-90 MB/s constant across platters throughput
of large files and it would be really the time-saver.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Roger W. Norman

In article writes:

[...]

True. Used to tell my older son to take up being a ditch digger. That way
he wouldn't have to constantly upgrade his shovel! g Alas, I don't take
my own advice either and it ends up taking me a couple of months to shake
out the bugs and know what will and won't work with a new computer. For
instance, I'm having problems on dinky little two track playback on some of
my stored mixes and no problem on others. Plus I can play back multitrack
recordings still stored on the computer just fine.

My current thinking is it has something to do with having transferred the
data over from a single drive on the old computer onto raid drives on the
new computer and the interleaving of the tracks isn't the same. But then
that doesn't explain the tracks that do play fine and reside on the same
raid. SO, for right now, upgrading and then making the upgrade the only
computer hasn't been the most successful thing I've done in audio or
computers! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Arny Krueger

Roger W. Norman wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

[...]

The parts of computers that are most prone to go bad on the
shelf are no surprise, the parts that spin. That means fans,
hard drives, and optical drives. Floppies are IME less
susceptible, but of course they spin a lot slower.

The point being that the ability to upgrade in 6 months

isn't the
same thing as being necessary to upgrade in 6 months.

Right, but having that ability costs some money over not

having it,
and unless you upgrade before it becomes obsolete, you

won't recover
that extra cost - so there's a certain motivation to

upgrade even if
you don't really need it.

True. Used to tell my older son to take up being a ditch

digger.
That way he wouldn't have to constantly upgrade his

shovel! g

This is way too funny!

In short, if you don't want the slings and arrows of high
tech, then don't use high tech. ;-)

Bill Ruys

Well, it *is* winter here right now, but yup, my Athlon64 *really* does run
at about 25 degrees with an ambient room temp of about 18 degrees C. My
Athlon XP 3200 by comparison runs about 20 degrees hotter! So there must
have been some real advances in core technology between the two types of
chip. Not sure what the power comsumption is, but I do remember reading
that the AMDs are currently consuming far less than the P4s.

Bill.

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Bill Ruys wrote:

snip

(2) AMD64 Winchester and Venice cores run cool (less than 25 degrees
Celcius
on a 3200+)

Which must mean they've reduced power consumption to something sensible.

Any idea how many watts they consume ?

Surely you don't *actually* mean 25C though. Ambient temp itself can
easily be
more than that !

snip

(5) There are quantifiable benefits in running a 64-bit DAW on a 64-bit
OS
with 64-bit plug-ins

Which means that until such a date that happens there's no clear benefit
worth
having of any note. Possibly other than the new CPUs having a 'cleaner'
internal
design that may give them a little extra efficiency processing some ( 32
bit )
instructions.

Graham

Bill Ruys

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Most motherboards today have SATA ports. I don't know what PCI-E or
DDR2 are, and what does anyone need 4 gigabytes of RAM for (or who
here even wants to spend that much money on a computer)? We're not
data base mechanics, we're audio engineers.

One thing to be *very careful* about when choosing a PC with serial ATA.
All of the early SATA adopters ran a 3rd party SATA chip which in turn hung
off the PCI bus. This was fine for office workers or game players, but for
serious audio it bites. This is because SATA would totally saturate the PCI
bus causing serious glitches for audio cards, particularly those of us
trying to run a low latency.

So the rule for audio is: Make sure SATA is supported directly from the
chipset, not from a 3rd party solution internally wired to the PCI bus.
Most of the current Intel chipsets are fine, as are the likes of the Nforce4
chipsets.

Bill.

Arny Krueger

Bill Ruys wrote:

One thing to be *very careful* about when choosing a PC

with serial
ATA. All of the early SATA adopters ran a 3rd party SATA

chip which
in turn hung off the PCI bus. This was fine for office

workers or
game players, but for serious audio it bites. This is

because SATA
would totally saturate the PCI bus causing serious

glitches for audio
cards, particularly those of us trying to run a low

latency.

Good point. I think at least one RAP regular ended up with
one of these turkeys.

So the rule for audio is: Make sure SATA is supported

directly from
the chipset, not from a 3rd party solution internally

wired to the
PCI bus.

Good first cut - but there seems to be more to it than that.
I have a machine with a SiS chipset Athlon 32 chipset that
runs SATA very poorly. This is in contrast with the SIS A64
machines that run quite well.

Most of the current Intel chipsets are fine, as are the
likes of the Nforce4 chipsets.

IME Via has a pretty good SATA implementation in their A64
chipset, too.

Bill Ruys

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Good first cut - but there seems to be more to it than that.
I have a machine with a SiS chipset Athlon 32 chipset that
runs SATA very poorly. This is in contrast with the SIS A64
machines that run quite well.

Most of the current Intel chipsets are fine, as are the
likes of the Nforce4 chipsets.

IME Via has a pretty good SATA implementation in their A64
chipset, too.

Sure, I think as long as SATA is not hung off of the PCI bus, it probably
doesn't matter so much who's chipset you run. And every manufacturer has
jewels and lemons. My last motherboard (an Nforce2 for Athlon XP) had 3rd
party SATA. I just disabled it in Cmos settings and ran with good old IDE
which ran directly off the southbridge. It was totally impossible to do
audio using SATA on that board. Fine if you know what you are buying, but
many don't know the pitfalls.

It will be interesting to see how PCI Express pans out. Right now it seems
that only 16-lane PCIe video cards are available. But from what I have
read, even single lane PCIe has better bandwidth than traditional PCI.
Also, PCIe uses a switched topology, not unlike switched ethernet. This to
me seems to be an answer to PCI bus contention which has been a real problem
for audio over the years. Time will tell, I guess.

Bill.

Scott Dorsey

Peter A. Stoll wrote:

Full disclosure--I worked for Intel most of the years
between 1974 and 2004, and still own enough stock that I'll
be slightly better off if each of you wastes money buying a
higher speed grade.

Wouldn't you be still better off if each one of us bought a bunch of
appliances with 8048s in them?
--scptt
donaldjcecil

Arny Krueger wrote:
Bill Ruys wrote:

[...]

Do you know about SATA implementation on the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe? The
chipset listed for the product is VIA K8T890 and VIA VT8237R.
Arny Krueger

Bill Ruys wrote:

Sure, I think as long as SATA is not hung off of the PCI

bus, it
probably doesn't matter so much who's chipset you run.

And every
manufacturer has jewels and lemons. My last motherboard

(an Nforce2
for Athlon XP) had 3rd party SATA. I just disabled it in

Cmos
settings and ran with good old IDE which ran directly off

the
southbridge. It was totally impossible to do audio using

SATA on
that board. Fine if you know what you are buying, but

many don't
know the pitfalls.

In contrast the current NForce4 chipset seems to do things
right.

It will be interesting to see how PCI Express pans out.

Right now it
seems that only 16-lane PCIe video cards are available.

But from
what I have read, even single lane PCIe has better

bandwidth than
traditional PCI.

Yeah, but traditional PCI has been passe' for video for
years. Not that it isn't good enough for audio.

Also, PCIe uses a switched topology, not unlike
switched ethernet. This to me seems to be an answer to

PCI bus
contention which has been a real problem for audio over

the years.
Time will tell, I guess.

My first NForce4 system seems to move along quite smartly,
even with just an A64-3000.

Arny Krueger

donaldjcecil wrote:

Do you know about SATA implementation on the ASUS A8V-E

Deluxe? The
chipset listed for the product is VIA K8T890 and VIA

VT8237R.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...series/k8t890/
looks pretty good on paper! ;-)

Bill Ruys

"donaldjcecil" wrote in message
Do you know about SATA implementation on the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe? The
chipset listed for the product is VIA K8T890 and VIA VT8237R.

SATA is supported from the VT8237R southbridge on that board. That *should*
be OK, but I personally don't have a lot of experience with that particular
chipset. Mr Krueger sounds like he knows a lot more that I do regarding the
Via chipsets, so I'll let him chime in...

Bill.

Bill Ruys

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Yeah, but traditional PCI has been passe' for video for
years. Not that it isn't good enough for audio.

Very true. PCI video was a curse - thank goodness AGP came along. Audio is
of course low bandwidth and so is no big deal for PCI. But that's not the
problem - it's what is co-existing on the bus. Even an 802.54g wireless
network card sitting on the same bus can upset audio. I don't know why, but
54g cards (most all of them use broadcom chipsets) seem to generate
intermittent bursts of data on the bus. Just enough to cause a crackle if
you are trying to run low latency. And forget about sharing a PCI bus with
a Gigabit NIC or anything else that generates high traffic. This is where I
think PCIe will be better, as each set of PCIe lanes are not shared.

My first NForce4 system seems to move along quite smartly,
even with just an A64-3000.

Agreed. I have just recently built a Socket 939 A64-3200 based on the
NForce4. It looks like it will be one of the best chipsets yet for audio.

Bill.

Roger W. Norman

Roger W. Norman wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

[...]

Absolutely.

However, Arny, I think I'm experiencing problems with SATA being hung off
the PCI bus and that's not good when my old 1600+ could play the multitracks
fine, or more specifically, everything fine. Then again, since it's
Samplitude, maybe I have to go back and rebuild the VIP, but if that's the
case then it means I'll never get the mix right again because some of my
East Coast Jazz performances had as many as 3 or 400 edits/objects/fader
changes, etc. But it seems that I remember something about malfunctioning
VIPs and rebuilding them. So far I've saved them as different VIPs,
saved/moved to different drives, etc., but I'm getting consistent results.
Either a two track or a set of tracks play, or they don't, no matter what
I've done to them on this new machine.

So I guess I'm the regular you were thinking of that had his SATA drives
hung off the PCI bus. Max burst is 90 MB/s with average of 78 MB/s, so
you'd think that would be plenty. Video playback is not a problem.

Do you have any ideas other than upgrading to the 939 board, which I've just
been researching. At least one good thing is with a new 939 Gigabyte I can
use both ATA and SATA drives all in one raid. Or maybe I should just start
buying SCSI for my 29160 board. It's kinda stupid to have video run just
fine and audio from Samplitude acting stupid. Guess I'll slide over and ask
at the Samp forum.
--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Arny Krueger

Roger W. Norman wrote:

However, Arny, I think I'm experiencing problems with SATA

being hung
off the PCI bus and that's not good when my old 1600+

could play the
multitracks fine, or more specifically, everything fine.

Agreed.

So I guess I'm the regular you were thinking of that had

his SATA
drives hung off the PCI bus.

Agreed.

Max burst is 90 MB/s with average of 78
MB/s, so you'd think that would be plenty. Video playback

is not a
problem.

Somehow audio seems to like to be pickier.

Do you have any ideas other than upgrading to the 939

board, which
I've just been researching.

I'm pleased with my first 939-based computer, but I really
didnt' stress it for audio.

At least one good thing is with a new
939 Gigabyte I can use both ATA and SATA drives all in one

raid.

It seems to be implemented as just a driver.

Or maybe I should just start buying SCSI for my 29160

board. It's kinda
stupid to have video run just fine and audio from

Samplitude acting
stupid. Guess I'll slide over and ask at the Samp forum.

Good idea. I don't run it so I can shed very little light.

Bob Cain wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

It might halve the number of bus cycles for transfers, but it's
probably still PCI, which (SFAIK) is inherently 32 bit. I know
of no 64 bit versions of PCI.

*Shrug*?

The memory/processor bus isn't PCI. It's much faster and
much wider. I can't remember what it's called, though. My
point is that no matter how wide or fast it is, shuffling
more data (the upper word of long integers which will be
zero for audio apps if used at all) through it can only be a
penalty.

There are performance benefits especially when doing 64bit computations on a
64bit processor.

--
Aaron
Roger W. Norman

Roger W. Norman wrote:

[...]

Well, I don't really think it's a Samplitude problem. Just bits and pieces
of what I remember over the years and should have been taken care of in the
upgrades. But hey, you never know.
--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

So the rule for audio is: Make sure SATA is supported directly from the
chipset, not from a 3rd party solution internally wired to the PCI bus.

So how would one know that? Haunt the motherboard newsgroups in hopes
that someone actually knows what he's talking about? Look at the
motherboard to see if it had the right chips? Buy Model ZX-1995 from
Zippoboards? (available through eBay for $162, $19.95 shipping)

Actually, no. Most motherboards these days have block diagrams that an
audio guy should understand. My system runs the SATA drives off the PCI
bus, but that was the only option at the time. Now I can upgrade my board
and still use my existing CPU and system devices with a Southbridge SATA
rather than a PCI, all for $88. I just ordered it. Should fix the problem,
but it's just as likely to fix one problem and give me 9 new ones! g
--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Most of the current Intel chipsets are fine, as are the likes of the

Nforce4
chipsets.

So if I go to CompUSA (or worse yet, because they sell a lot of
discontinued stuff, Micro Center) and look at the boxed motherboards
on the shelf, how do I know what to buy, or what to avoid?

That's a rhetorical question, so don't answer it with a make and model
number. I'm just typical of someone who doesn't want to learn more
than the average Joe about something that, unless I keep refreshing my
knowledge, won't be of any value the next time I need to use it.

Kind of like "what microphone should I buy?" I guess.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Edi Zubovic

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:58:55 -0400, "Roger W. Norman"
wrote:
------------8--------------------
Do you have any ideas other than upgrading to the 939 board, which I've just
been researching. At least one good thing is with a new 939 Gigabyte I can
use both ATA and SATA drives all in one raid. Or maybe I should just start
buying SCSI for my 29160 board. It's kinda stupid to have video run just
fine and audio from Samplitude acting stupid. Guess I'll slide over and ask
at the Samp forum.

-- If you already have a 29160 controller (and a LVD twisted pair
cable and an active LVD/SE terminator), why not obtain a good 15 KRPM
disc? -- A 36GB Cheetah 15K.4 shows 95 MB/sec. at the beginning, some
60 MB/sec and it gives 80 MB/sec. average read. It is very robust, but
good cooling is mandatory. You can't run it without enough cooling air
flow as it could go hot beyond SMART treshold I presume (65 deg. C on
longer term; short term overheating wouldn't hurt acc. to Seagate
manual). With a good cooling, however, it has an 38 to 42 degrees C
average temperature.

At 2960, you can attach for instance a Plextor Plexwriter and
Ultraplex 40 Max CD ROM, and they will work quasi indepedent of your
PC processor. It that case, you normally would disable these Plextors
in Adaptec ScsiSelect BIOS scan as Windows takes care of them.

You can attach an another SCSI drive for work and swap file.

Such a combination _is_ fine with me and properly connected and set
up, there's no problems whatsoever.

Maxtor Atlas drives are great too.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Geoff Wood

Kind of like "what microphone should I buy?" I guess.

Definitely one integrated into the chipset. PCI bus microphones have
limited bamdwidth.

geoff

Roger W. Norman

wrote:
------------8--------------------
[...]

Actually I have two Fujitsu 10k rpm 18 giggers sitting on the floor right
now. And a 33 gig 15k rpm 1 gigabit fiberchannel drive. They didn't test
any better than my 80 gig ATA Baracudas, but for some reason one gets the
impression that they are stronger, if that's even a term one can use with a
drive. Robust may be better.

But then again, I have/need a lot of data on my computer because of the way
I work and the fact that I'm moving into video along with audio for those
location recordings. On my last location shoot there was 36 gigs of 16/44.1
track data alone, minus the video transfer data requirement. Once the
shoot/audio was edited and compiled it still took two full DVDs. So that's
kinda what I'm shooting for. Enough SCSI for work like that will cost about
4 times the money for simple ATA or SATA drives.
--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

donaldjcecil

Arny Krueger wrote:
donaldjcecil wrote:

Do you know about SATA implementation on the ASUS A8V-E

Deluxe? The

chipset listed for the product is VIA K8T890 and VIA

VT8237R.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...series/k8t890/
looks pretty good on paper! ;-)

Arny, so based off that diagram you can in your best judgment say that
that via chipset doesn't have routing that could bog down the PCI bus? I
appreciate the help I am receiving as I would not have been able to
figure this out on my own.
Scott Dorsey

Bob Cain wrote:
wrote:

There are performance benefits especially when doing 64bit computations on a
64bit processor.

Most certainly, but what's in question is the relevance of
that to a DAW.

Right now, it's totally irrelevant. But I bet it turns out to make it
easier to design good fast reverbs. Double-precision floats can be a
good thing for reverb simulation.
Bob Cain

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob Cain wrote:

wrote:

There are performance benefits especially when doing 64bit computations on a
64bit processor.

Most certainly, but what's in question is the relevance of
that to a DAW.

Right now, it's totally irrelevant. But I bet it turns out to make it
easier to design good fast reverbs. Double-precision floats can be a
good thing for reverb simulation.

I may be wrong but I think that FP units have 64 bit wide
data paths even in 32 bit machines. In and of itself, 64
bit is really about integers and addresses. That there is a
larger register set in 64 bit mode, which I think is pretty
meager in 32 bit x86 architecture, is a definite plus.

Anybody know what the number of addressable registers is in
each?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Edi Zubovic

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:52:18 -0400, "Roger W. Norman"
wrote:
-------------8--------------------
Maxtor Atlas drives are great too.

Actually I have two Fujitsu 10k rpm 18 giggers sitting on the floor right
now. And a 33 gig 15k rpm 1 gigabit fiberchannel drive. They didn't test
any better than my 80 gig ATA Baracudas, but for some reason one gets the
impression that they are stronger, if that's even a term one can use with a
drive. Robust may be better.

But then again, I have/need a lot of data on my computer because of the way
I work and the fact that I'm moving into video along with audio for those
location recordings. On my last location shoot there was 36 gigs of 16/44.1
track data alone, minus the video transfer data requirement. Once the
shoot/audio was edited and compiled it still took two full DVDs. So that's
kinda what I'm shooting for. Enough SCSI for work like that will cost about
4 times the money for simple ATA or SATA drives.

-- Yes, the cost is an issue here. If the time plays a role, it can
pay back as the work is done sooner. For such big files as video, a
SCSI RAID0 would be even better. But unfortunately, it takes a much
greater costs toll, yes. On the brighter side, SCSI drives are getting
faster with each generation and their prices, while being still
higher, seems to be more keen compared to those of sveral years ago.

Why RAID0 in such cases -- from some test graphs which can be found in
the HD Tach 3.0* benchmark program database, I've seen that the
transfer rate remains constant all the time. So I think, in RAID0, one
disk reads the data as usual, from a to z, but the other disk reads
the same data the other way, from z to a. This I think compesates for
transfer rate droop due to disk geometry. So this can add to time
savings in work too.

For instance, I just opened a recording I made yesterday evening in a
theatre, it's about 1hr 12min and has about 770 MB. It took some 8
sec. to open it from the first instance and abt. 2,5 sec. to open it
again. With a RAID0, it would take slightly less but had I a couple
of GB file, it could spare some time depending how much area at the
platter are covered by that data.

* This is the link, the database comes with the program.
http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia