Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jbr...@gmail.com is offline

Default Need help modifying TAC Master Channel

Happy New Year group!

I'm looking to do a modification to my TAC Magnum console Master Channel and would like some technical input from anyone here who may know how to go about this.

My Master 2 bus is on 2 mono faders left and right - each with it's own physical footprint. I would like to convert this to one long throw stereo fader but with a twist:

I will use the new stereo fader in one existing slot (L), but I will also use a second mono fader in the second slot of the two (R).

I would like to be able to switch from the stereo fader to using it as two mono faders on demand (using only one side of the stereo fader in this configuration).

I have sourced the correct P&G fader drop in replacements - one stereo and one compatible mono.

I am not sure about how to wire the switching. Can I make the switch choose which fader for the RIGHT channel before the fader contacts and keep both outputs wired up downstream, or will this create an unwanted load on the output requiring a switch on the back side of the unused fader as well or perhaps in lieu of a switch in the front.

To reiterate - the master output currently runs through two faders both mono. Want to wire it as ONE stereo fader, but with the option of switching one side of the stereo out to a second mono fader for separate L and R fades when required.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

- vpg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I would like to be able to switch from the stereo fader to using it as two =
mono faders on demand (using only one side of the stereo fader in this conf=
iguration).

I have sourced the correct P&G fader drop in replacements - one stereo and =
one compatible mono.

I am not sure about how to wire the switching. Can I make the switch choose=
which fader for the RIGHT channel before the fader contacts and keep both =
outputs wired up downstream, or will this create an unwanted load on the ou=
tput requiring a switch on the back side of the unused fader as well or per=
haps in lieu of a switch in the front.

You don't want to risk doing -anything- that will unbalance the two halves.
Even if the level change is very tiny, you don't want it.

So... you have three pins on the fader element. Connect one of them to the
other fader, then switch the other two with a DPDT switch between the two
faders. The pin that is connected to both will be electrically isolated
when the other two pins are disconnected, so there's no load anywhere.

Use a miniature DPDT toggle with gold or silver contacts. Don't spend more
than ten bucks on a nice one from digi-key.