Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Low Hertz Low Hertz is offline

Default I was going to break down and finally buy discounted Koss

Many, many years ago I heard the ESP 9 headphones and was amazed at them.

I'm not an audiophile, I am a professional musician with no tolerance
for distortion, and especially, I play string bass. Few of these=20
kids listening to thumping bass parts realize the sound of a bass
has overtones beyond hearing and it's a beautiful rich sound.

Well, obviously the ESP 9 is history, and I found the 950's on sale.

How to the 950s compare with the old ESP 9s?

But reading the reviews, a number of complaints about static, crackle
and build quality are red flags, recommending Stax instead.

OK, Amazon has some Stax electrostatic.
I'm not sure of the difference and if the difference is real.

STAX SR-Lambda SR-507 Pro Headphones Earspeakers
listed at Amazon at 907.29 & FREE SHIPPING but available for $727

Stax 407 are $429. =20

What is the difference? Are they really better than the KOSS?

Finally,=20

I'd have to buy a headphone amp I assume. I recently converted to tubes
and have a tube integrated amp, a headphone output but certainly not a head=
phone amp. What amp would be the least expensive?

Or are the complaints about the 905s unusual and it does come with a lifeti=
me warranty. Are the newer model Koss actually worse than the previous ver=
sion?

Appreciate the feedback.

Maybe there's a new technology other than electrostatics, but I tend to dou=
bt it from what I've heard, but then, I haven't heard the new highest end o=
f headphones. I would rather just plug into a headphone jack.

I'm currently driving my system with a vintage Pioneer Modded 837, the resu=
lt of a search of vintage units with less than .0 distortion, and been modi=
fied with new capas and tubes, going into wonder ESS speakers with Heil Air=
Motion Transformers. My computer, through HDMI to my TV to the analogue =
inputs is my current sound source.

I had a wonderful Phillips 212 turntable stolen by my moving men, and I ret=
ired my reel to reels due to space limitations.

Naturally, you are welcomed to use this as a point to discuss headphones.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Stone John Stone is offline

I'd check out some of the planar type phones from the likes of Audeze,
Hifiman, etc. These sound great. Stax phones are also some of my favorites,
and I always thought they were better than the Koss. However, I think the
modern planars really give the Stax a run for their money, especially on the
bass end.
As for the LX 521 I've heard them at Mr.Linkwitz's home, at the Burning Amp
Festival, and the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest two years in a row. One of the
best speakers I've ever heard at any price. I'm in the process of building a
set for myself.