Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ping Paul Stamler Link Doesn't Work

Paul - I just got the Recording magazine with the article for beginners and
the clip url doesn't work. Help!

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

http://www.recordingmag.com/contact.html

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:53:11 PM UTC-6, hank alrich wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Paul - I just got the Recording magazine with the article for beginners and
the clip url doesn't work. Help!

Gary Eickmeier

http://www.recordingmag.com/contact.html

What Hank said. The editors at Recording need to talk with their IT people; I don't do the website. Good luck, and I hope it works out -- the clip is fun listening.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Hi Gary (and others):

I just tried the URL:

http://is.gd/RECFirstStepsXlip1

It took me to the page with a short description of the clip, and at the bottom of the page is a link that gets you a .wav file of the actual clip. Gary, were you trying another URL? Because this one seems to be working.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"PStamler" wrote in message
Hi Gary (and others):

I just tried the URL:

http://is.gd/RECFirstStepsXlip1

It took me to the page with a short description of the clip, and at the
bottom of the page is a link that gets you a .wav file of the actual clip.
Gary, were you trying another URL? Because this one seems to be working.

Peace,
Paul

The magazine has a C where you have the X.

Plus, it is the Jan issue not the Dec, which "Current Issue" leads to on the
web site linked so far. I will soon get the electronic version in my Email,
but I have the paper version now, so wanted to give a listen to what I
thought might be one of your recordings. Is it?

Thanks,

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"PStamler" wrote in message
Hi Gary (and others):

I just tried the URL:

http://is.gd/RECFirstStepsXlip1

It took me to the page with a short description of the clip, and at the
bottom of the page is a link that gets you a .wav file of the actual clip.
Gary, were you trying another URL? Because this one seems to be working.

OK, got it. When I went to your URL I got

"Sorry, we couldn't find the shortened URL you requested. The link you
followed may be invalid, or an evil wizard may have cast a spell on our
servers"

so I went back to the URL that the magazine had in it and finally got it. My
guess is that it hadn't been posted yet when I got my magazine, but now it
is. Downloaded the file as a WAVE clip and shall put it on a CD and play it.

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Is the correct clip 27sec of acoustic with someone singing in what sounds like Russian?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:29:27 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Is the correct clip 27sec of acoustic with someone singing in what sounds like Russian?

Yes, but it's Yiddish, not Russian. If there's another language Yiddish resembles, it's German.

In the article I explain why I decided to use something sung in a foreign language. (It also helped that the song is Public Domain, which avoids all kinds of work for the magazine's lawyers.)

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

четвртак, 11. децембар 2014. 14.29.27 UTC+1, је написао/ла:

Is the correct clip 27sec of acoustic with someone singing in what sounds like Russian?

You really thought it was Russian?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Pstamler wrote:

Yes, but it's Yiddish, not Russian. If there's another language Yiddish resembles, it's German.

In the article I explain why I decided to use something sung in a foreign language. (It also helped that the song is Public Domain, which avoids all kinds of work for the magazine's lawyers.)

Peace,
Paul "

Then I heard the right thing - short clip, but STUNNINGLY real! I kept replaying it over my home stereo.

Luxey:

Russian - that was my first impression. The musical arrangement and the language being sung.

That's coming from one who has confused German accent with Australian, and Italian with Portuguese. LOL

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:52:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Pstamler wrote:

Yes, but it's Yiddish, not Russian. If there's another language Yiddish resembles, it's German.

In the article I explain why I decided to use something sung in a foreign language. (It also helped that the song is Public Domain, which avoids all kinds of work for the magazine's lawyers.)

Peace,
Paul "

Then I heard the right thing - short clip, but STUNNINGLY real! I kept replaying it over my home stereo.

Glad you felt that way. That's what I was after. Now write 24 articles explaining how I got there.

Russian - that was my first impression. The musical arrangement and the language being sung.

Well, the composer was from Poland, so,musically, you're in the right ballpark!

That's coming from one who has confused German accent with Australian, and Italian with Portuguese. LOL

That's okay; in high school I took home ec from a Mrs. Szymkowicz, who had bright red hair, and I grew up thinking that's what a Polish accent was. It wasn't until much later that I realized her accent was Scottish -- Szymkowicz was her married name...

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

четвртак, 11. децембар 2014. 23.52.47 UTC+1, је написао/ла:
Pstamler wrote:

Yes, but it's Yiddish, not Russian. If there's another language Yiddish resembles, it's German.

In the article I explain why I decided to use something sung in a foreign language. (It also helped that the song is Public Domain, which avoids all kinds of work for the magazine's lawyers.)

Peace,
Paul "

Then I heard the right thing - short clip, but STUNNINGLY real! I kept replaying it over my home stereo.

Luxey:

Russian - that was my first impression. The musical arrangement and the language being sung.

That's coming from one who has confused German accent with Australian, and Italian with Portuguese. LOL

Even if I was totaly unmusical and tone deaf, and never've heard of kelzmer, as clearly written in description on that site
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klezmer),
when I hear someone clearly sing "ein, zwei, drei, ...", it's hardly russian
that would come to mind, but, whatever ...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Luxey wrote: "Even if I was totaly unmusical and tone deaf, and never've heard of kelzmer, as clearly written in description on that site
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klezmer),
when I hear someone clearly sing "ein, zwei, drei, ...", it's hardly russian
that would come to mind, but, whatever ... "

Sorry if I offended you - like I said, and has been said by another on this thread, I'm "accent-deaf". LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

петак, 12. децембар 2014. 13.05.47 UTC+1, је написао/ла:
Luxey wrote: "Even if I was totaly unmusical and tone deaf, and never've heard of kelzmer, as clearly written in description on that site
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klezmer),
when I hear someone clearly sing "ein, zwei, drei, ...", it's hardly russian
that would come to mind, but, whatever ... "

Sorry if I offended you - like I said, and has been said by another on this thread, I'm "accent-deaf". LOL!

I'm not offended, why would I be? I just find it strange to missinterpret German words for Russian?!