Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default How do you make CD Segue in Cubase 5?

I mean a seamless transition from one song to the next,
with no interruption, but cue-able when you select
the track on a CD player.

Here's some info for Reaper:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77232

You have to set "lead in silence for tracks" to zero milli-seconds, so
that there is no silence between the segued tracks.

How do you do this in Cubase 5?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/9/2014 7:44 AM, Paul wrote:
I mean a seamless transition from one song to the next,
with no interruption, but cue-able when you select
the track on a CD player.

Here's some info for Reaper:
You have to set "lead in silence for tracks" to zero milli-seconds, so
that there is no silence between the segued tracks.

How do you do this in Cubase 5?

Are you burning "disk at once?" If you're burning "track at once" it
probably automatically puts a pause between tracks, but if you're
burning "disk at once" it uses whatever amount of space you've included
in the CD burning screen, which can be zero. Don't forget that you need
a small amount of space before the first track (track at once does this
automatically) so remember to insert a second or two at the top.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

уторак, 09. децембар 2014. 13.45.11 UTC+1, Paul је написао/ла:
I mean a seamless transition from one song to the next,
with no interruption, but cue-able when you select
the track on a CD player.

Here's some info for Reaper:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77232

You have to set "lead in silence for tracks" to zero milli-seconds, so
that there is no silence between the segued tracks.

How do you do this in Cubase 5?

I did not know burning CDs was even possible from Cubase?!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/12/2014 1:44 a.m., Paul wrote:
I mean a seamless transition from one song to the next,
with no interruption, but cue-able when you select
the track on a CD player.

Here's some info for Reaper:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77232

You have to set "lead in silence for tracks" to zero milli-seconds, so
that there is no silence between the segued tracks.

How do you do this in Cubase 5?

Dunno about Cubase CD-Authoring window (assuming there is something like
that), but in CD Architect you drag your audio event/s to where you want
it, set crossfading to however you like, then drag the track start/stop
markers to where you want them !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Paul wrote:

I mean a seamless transition from one song to the next,
with no interruption, but cue-able when you select
the track on a CD player.

snip
You have to set "lead in silence for tracks" to zero milli-seconds, so
that there is no silence between the segued tracks.

How do you do this in Cubase 5?

Cue sheets are your friends. Check out the link below to learn how to obtain a
cue sheet from a single complete wav file in Cubase, after you've inserted the
appropriate track markers.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/supp...cue-sheet.html

Thereafter, with the wav and cue file, you could just use the small, free
ImgBurn program to burn the CD.
(A cue file is just a small text file that instructs the burner prog to insert
track and index points. Its syntax is simple...you could even type one up in a
jiffy with Notepad, without having to use Cubase at all.)
--
Tom McCreadie

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom McCreadie wrote:

Cue sheets are your friends. Check out the link below to learn how to obtain a
cue sheet from a single complete wav file in Cubase, after you've inserted the
appropriate track markers.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/supp...cue-sheet.html

Whoops, just noticed that this link was for Steinberg's Wavelab, not Cubase. I
don't actually use Cubase (or Wavelab, for that matter) but I expect that Cubase
will still have a way of getting track markers exported to a cue sheet.

If not, you can just take a note of the required marker-point timings needed for
the cue sheet, then go the Notepad route as follows:

1. Have your finished music file in 44.1/16 wave format, say "paul.wav".
2. Copy/paste into Notepad the text between the "====="s below
3. That's a basic, generic cue file for a 4-track CD, having tracks starting at
0, 5, 10 and 15 min.
4. Modify it to suit your CD by adding tracks and changing the start timings
5. Save that txt file as 'paul.cue' (in same folder as paul.wav)
6. Install free ImgBurn app.
7 In ImgBurn: "Write image file to disk" File "Browse for a source
file" paul.cue

Can't simplify it much more. Give it a go. Live on the edge.

=================
PERFORMER
TITLE Paul_CD
FILE paul.wav WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Paul's Song 1"
PERFORMER
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Paul's Song 2"
PERFORMER
INDEX 01 05:00:00
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Paul's Song 3"
PERFORMER
INDEX 01 10:00:00
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Paul's Song 4"
PERFORMER
INDEX 01 15:00:00
=================
--
Tom McCreadie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/9/2014 11:25 AM, Luxey wrote:
уторак, 09. децембар 2014. 13.45.11 UTC+1, Paul је написао/ла:
I mean a seamless transition from one song to the next,
with no interruption, but cue-able when you select
the track on a CD player.

Here's some info for Reaper:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77232

You have to set "lead in silence for tracks" to zero milli-seconds, so
that there is no silence between the segued tracks.

How do you do this in Cubase 5?

I did not know burning CDs was even possible from Cubase?!

Yeah, I haven't seen anything in Cubase like what you see
in the Reaper link.

I've been just using Cubase to "export audio files", and then
burning redbook CDs using Windows Media player.

It works fine for separate tracks, but I've never had to
do a segue between two songs, so I want to learn how to do that.

Can I do that with Windows media player?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/9/2014 1:37 PM, Tom McCreadie wrote:
Tom McCreadie wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Paul wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I doubt it, I am not sure WMP is even bit-for-bit true.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/9/2014 4:52 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Paul wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I doubt it, I am not sure WMP is even bit-for-bit true.
--scott

What does "bit-for-bit true" mean?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/9/2014 5:30 PM, Tom McCreadie wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tom McCreadie wrote:

,snip

If not, you can just take a note of the required marker-point timings needed for
the cue sheet, then go the Notepad route as follows:

1. Have your finished music file in 44.1/16 wave format, say "paul.wav".
2. Copy/paste into Notepad the text between the "====="s below
3. That's a basic, generic cue file for a 4-track CD, having tracks starting at
0, 5, 10 and 15 min.
4. Modify it to suit your CD by adding tracks and changing the start timings
5. Save that txt file as 'paul.cue' (in same folder as paul.wav)
6. Install free ImgBurn app.
7 In ImgBurn: "Write image file to disk" File "Browse for a source
file" paul.cue

snip
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I don't think that Windows Media Player can handle cue files. But why would you
want to bother with such a ponderous fluff-cake program? ImgBurn is a lean 'n
mean, small footprint, Open Source program that does all you need. And there are
plenty of other programs that will handle cue files - EAC, Nero, CDRwin,
Plextools etc..

Also a highly convenient way to make cue files, without you having to sweat over
the syntax is with "CDRcue" cuesheet editor.
http://www.dcsoft.com/products/cdrcue/

I've had great mileage over the years with that small program. Essentially you
just listen to the wav file (or group of wav files) as they play in CDRcue and
punch in markers when you need them. CCRcue takes that input and assembles a
correct-syntax cue sheet for you...and has provision for changes, edits,
additional metadata etc.

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

But I have used ImgBurn in the past, and I will download it
again....Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Paul wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I doubt it, I am not sure WMP is even bit-for-bit true.

What does "bit-for-bit true" mean?

That the bits on the .wav file are absolutely identical, bit for bit, with
what gets put on the CD.

The whole chain should be bit for bit true from converter to converter,
if you're not doing any processing (gain changes, etc.). But sadly with
a lot of fancier DAW systems, it may not be.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I doubt it, I am not sure WMP is even bit-for-bit true.
--scott

What does "bit-for-bit true" mean?

That if applying no processing (maybe apart from trimming ends and a
fade in/out) a saved file will have it's actual audio sample data
bit-perfect in comparison with the original.

I can't imagine how this isn't trivial to achieve, and that any audio
editor wouldn't do this.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

In article , Paul wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I doubt it, I am not sure WMP is even bit-for-bit true.

What does "bit-for-bit true" mean?

That the bits on the .wav file are absolutely identical, bit for bit, with
what gets put on the CD.

The whole chain should be bit for bit true from converter to converter,
if you're not doing any processing (gain changes, etc.). But sadly with
a lot of fancier DAW systems, it may not be.
--scott

Surly most burning apps use dithering, which will alter things. With
most it's on by defrault, but also can be disabled.

And then there are write errors and read errors, which are mostly
corrected on playback....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Luxey" skrev i en meddelelse

I did not know burning CDs was even possible from Cubase?!

Is anything really really better than Feurio, except perhaps the version 2
his lawyer suggested that he should not release?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" skrev i en meddelelse

In article , Paul
wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can I do this with the CD burning portion of Windows media player?

I doubt it, I am not sure WMP is even bit-for-bit true.

First time I tried it the second movement was as loud as the first, it
shouldn't have been, I later found out that normalizing is enabled as
default because Microsoft knows very well what the composer wrote, better in
fact than that composer. It can be disabled, but it is darn difficult to
find out where. So it is kinda like windows standard audio options, you have
to guess your way through them to get playback over speakers linear (tip:
set it to headphones).

It is all fine and well with some options for processing, but at first I
would have thought that speakers was the linear playback option (no, they
get a bass boost, I even think "large speakers" get a bigger one than "small
speakers") and that headphones offered a cross-feed and an upper midrange
anti-harshness dip. There options that could make sense to have as "system
post processing", but audio should be understood and they should be well
documented.

Some day when I'm really bored I think I'll try to device a way to document
whatever it is all those windows audio options do, other than all be wrong
and misleading.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

No, not unless properly configured. It suffers from the "we know best
ailment".

But I have used ImgBurn in the past, and I will download it
again....Thanks

That is one very goode example of a program that it is nice to have kept the
old download versions of.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/10/2014 1:58 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

No, not unless properly configured. It suffers from the "we know best
ailment".

I haven't had a problem with it.

But do tell: how do you configure it "properly"?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

No, not unless properly configured. It suffers from the "we know best
ailment".

I haven't had a problem with it.

But do tell: how do you configure it "properly"?

The flip answer is "Uninstall it" It's not even a good player.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

No, not unless properly configured. It suffers from the "we know best
ailment".

I haven't had a problem with it.

What you say actually is that you "haven't noticed".

But do tell: how do you configure it "properly"?

The information is in the post you follow up to, read it again.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout Tim Sprout is offline

On 12/9/2014 11:58 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

No, not unless properly configured. It suffers from the "we know best
ailment".

But I have used ImgBurn in the past, and I will download it
again....Thanks

That is one very goode example of a program that it is nice to have kept the
old download versions of.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

I like ImgBurn, but I haven't found a way to burn audio CDs with it,
playable om standalone CD players and in-car CD players, instead of data
CDs.

Tim Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tim Sprout" skrev i en meddelelse

On 12/9/2014 11:58 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:

But I have used ImgBurn in the past, and I will download it
again....Thanks

That is one very goode example of a program that it is nice to have kept
the
old download versions of.

I like ImgBurn, but I haven't found a way to burn audio CDs with it,
playable om standalone CD players and in-car CD players, instead of data
CDs.

And the name says ... ? - it is good for what it is made for. For audio CD's
my choice is Feurio, other people have each their own preference, it is
likely about what you're used to using.

Tim Sprout

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/9/2014 10:15 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Luxey" skrev i en meddelelse

I did not know burning CDs was even possible from Cubase?!

Is anything really really better than Feurio, except perhaps the version 2
his lawyer suggested that he should not release?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thank you for the Feurio suggestion. Just what I needed. I have a bunch
of audio CDs of band music to burn as Christmas gifts.

Tim Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/10/2014 3:31 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

I haven't had a problem with it.

What you say actually is that you "haven't noticed".

Ok, what do I listen for?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/10/2014 11:07 AM, Tim Sprout wrote:

Is anything really really better than Feurio, except perhaps the
version 2
his lawyer suggested that he should not release?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thank you for the Feurio suggestion. Just what I needed. I have a bunch
of audio CDs of band music to burn as Christmas gifts.

The Feurio system requirements doesn't mention Windows 7:

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.html

I assume it will still work on 7?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/9/2014 6:32 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

What does "bit-for-bit true" mean?

That the bits on the .wav file are absolutely identical, bit for bit, with
what gets put on the CD.

The whole chain should be bit for bit true from converter to converter,
if you're not doing any processing (gain changes, etc.). But sadly with
a lot of fancier DAW systems, it may not be.
--scott

Well, damn! You are correct:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

There is the "Apply volume leveling across tracks" option, which
I have now disabled. I hasn't noticeably affected the CDs I have
burned, likely because I have done volume leveling with peak limiting
during the mastering stage, or the Maximizer in Ozone 5. And actually,
it WOULD be a good thing to apply, if it was needed, but it shouldn't
be if I did my job correctly.

There is also the "Burn CD without gaps" option. "Select this
check box if you don't want two-second gaps between each song on audio
CDs that you burn."

So if I uncheck this box, so there is no gap between tracks,
and then I simply place a marker where I want the segue to occur,
and then cut the audio file at that point, it should hopefully
segue between the two tracks seamlessly, right?

I might try it....Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/12/2014 9:58 p.m., Peter Larsen wrote:
"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

WMP seems to work fine for standard, non-segue tracks.

No, not unless properly configured. It suffers from the "we know best
ailment".

But I have used ImgBurn in the past, and I will download it
again....Thanks

That is one very goode example of a program that it is nice to have kept the
old download versions of.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Careful, Imageburn now installs bundled crapware unless you pay
attention to the smallish print.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Sprout wrote:

I like ImgBurn, but I haven't found a way to burn audio CDs with it,
playable om standalone CD players and in-car CD players, instead of data
CDs.

Really? I've just actually finished burning 10 audio CD-R's!
Were you perhaps burning CD-RW's instead of CD-R's? (I believe some car units
or simple stand-alone players can't deal very well with CD-RW)

1. Start with a combo of wav file and cue file, say "filename.wav" and
filename.cue"
2. Check that "filename.wav" is indeed in the 44.1 khz /16bit format !!
3. Check in the cue file contents that it points to the correct folder location
of the filename.wav (Of course you may have more than one wav involved in the
burning, provided the cue file's content reflects that accordingly)

With blank CD-R disk inserted
4. In ImgBurn main panel, select ""Write image file to disc"
5. In 'Source: 'Please select a file', navigate to 'filename.cue
6. Check write speed (e.g. 16x) and copies (e.g. 1x)
7. 'Hit the red "Write" button

Please forgive the turgid step-for-step hand-holding, above. But I suspect you''
ve overlooked something simple.

Feurio is also a fine program...just use whatever floats your boat.
--
Tom McCreadie
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/10/2014 12:24 PM, Tom McCreadie wrote:
Tim Sprout wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Tom, for your detailed answer. Works nicely.

Tim Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/10/2014 9:39 AM, Paul wrote:
On 12/10/2014 11:07 AM, Tim Sprout wrote:

Is anything really really better than Feurio, except perhaps the
version 2
his lawyer suggested that he should not release?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thank you for the Feurio suggestion. Just what I needed. I have a bunch
of audio CDs of band music to burn as Christmas gifts.

The Feurio system requirements doesn't mention Windows 7:

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.html

I assume it will still work on 7?

Feurio does not work on Windows 7, unfortunately.

However, foobar2000, with add-on components, will burn audio CDs and
generate cue sheets.

Tim Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

On 12/10/2014 11:07 AM, Tim Sprout wrote:

Is anything really really better than Feurio, except perhaps the
version 2
his lawyer suggested that he should not release?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thank you for the Feurio suggestion. Just what I needed. I have a bunch
of audio CDs of band music to burn as Christmas gifts.

The Feurio system requirements doesn't mention Windows 7:

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.html

I assume it will still work on 7?

Mine lives happily on Win7-64. I was wondering whether it would, but he
seems to make all hardware calls the OS way as he should. Probably likes to
live on a local administrator account, in other contexts you should NOT
operate your computer for daily chores from an account with administrative
privileges simply because virus things then go awfully wrong when they
happen. Avast seems to co-exist happily with what I do, I no longer have
antivirus free computers.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"geoff" skrev i en meddelelse

Careful, Imageburn now installs bundled crapware unless you pay attention
to the smallish print.

I know, that is why I said it is one of the programs where it is good to
have an old download version and possibly also to disable updates. I'd
rather have paid USD 30 for a household license and at a couple of higher
prices for corporate installs because it is a really really nice addition to
any pc.

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tim Sprout" skrev i en meddelelse

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.html

I assume it will still work on 7?

Feurio does not work on Windows 7, unfortunately.

Huh? - works fine here.

Tim Sprout

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/10/2014 10:23 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Tim Sprout" skrev i en meddelelse

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.html

I assume it will still work on 7?

Feurio does not work on Windows 7, unfortunately.

Huh? - works fine here.

Tim Sprout

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thanks. Feurio now successfully installed.

Tim Sprout

What make and model number burner do you use to make quality, audio CDs - currently on the market? Albie Tech 3 January 18th 10 03:29 AM
Cubase LE 4 a step Above Cubase AI4 ?? Paul[_13_] Pro Audio 6 May 13th 09 09:25 AM
CuBase [email protected] Pro Audio 7 October 31st 06 02:24 PM
Cubase/Nuendo PC to Cubase SX3 Mac? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 June 2nd 06 08:25 PM
Tascam.GigaStudio.v3.0.2.1584, Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) 28 DVDs, CAKEWALK SONAR 4 PRODUCER EDITION, Sonic DVD Producer v4.5, Steinberg Cubase SX V3.0, Steinberg.Cubase.SX.v2.2.0.35, alfa_omega Pro Audio 0 November 6th 04 12:28 PM