Posted to rec.audio.pro
mmm guitar mmm guitar is offline

Default Hardware interface for PC DAW

Hello,

Are there any simple generic hardware interface's to drive a PC DAW?

I use sonar and do all of my mixing / mastering in it. I would like
to have a physical piece of hardware to control the transport and also
adjust the levels in the mix / play around with effects.

I see devices that can do this, but they all have external mixing
functionality / analog/digital IO's etc -- all of which I do not
need. I just need a motorized set of knobs that mirror / change whats
in the DAW and let the DAW do all the mixing work, i.e. a glorified
keyboard with faders.

If all else fails, I'm very tempted to buy a touchscreen monitor and
lay it flat on the desk...

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

mmm guitar wrote:
Hello,

Are there any simple generic hardware interface's to drive a PC DAW?

I use sonar and do all of my mixing / mastering in it. I would like
to have a physical piece of hardware to control the transport and also
adjust the levels in the mix / play around with effects.

I see devices that can do this, but they all have external mixing
functionality / analog/digital IO's etc -- all of which I do not
need. I just need a motorized set of knobs that mirror / change whats
in the DAW and let the DAW do all the mixing work, i.e. a glorified
keyboard with faders.

If all else fails, I'm very tempted to buy a touchscreen monitor and
lay it flat on the desk...

Thanks.

You want something like this?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SON...s-for-SONAR-X1

--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mmm guitar mmm guitar is offline

On Mar 26, 2:41*pm, david gourley
wrote:
mmm guitar said...news:849ce112-bc33-483b-93d3-
:

Hello,

Are there any simple generic hardware interface's to drive a PC DAW?

I use sonar and do all of my mixing / mastering in it. *I would like
to have a physical piece of hardware to control the transport and also
adjust the levels in the mix / play around with effects.

I see devices that can do this, but they all have external mixing
functionality / analog/digital IO's etc -- all of which I do not
need. *I just need a motorized set of knobs that mirror / change whats
in the DAW and let the DAW do all the mixing work, i.e. a glorified
keyboard with faders.

If all else fails, I'm very tempted to buy a touchscreen monitor and
lay it flat on the desk...

Thanks.

You just need a control surface. *What's your budget ?

They're available from around $200 to a couple of thousand (or better).

david

ah control surface, now that makes sense! thanks, will have a look
around. Don't really have a budget, I'm just going to find something
that will sort out my needs and either buy, or save for a while then
buy...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SON...ture.aspx/Cont...

--
best regards,

Neil

ooo nice, will have a research around and see what I can see. Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, so it pretty much seems like the Mackie MCU is where it is at,
seems quite a small market / expensive even for standard studio
equipment.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

Why not look into a tablet app as controller? V Control Pro supports
Sonar on the iPad, and while I haven't seen it in use there I can
vouch that's it pretty fantastic for Logic and ProTools (seen it in
session, don't own it one). On the Android front I *believe*
TouchDAW supports Sonar as well, but there are other options for both.

The Neyrinck apps, including V Control Pro, are not limited to
controlling OSX programs.

http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control-pro

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

mmm guitar said...news:96347118-4a43-423e-b0e1-
:

wrote:

[...]

I use a Behringer BCF2000 and it works fine for my use with Vegas Pro,
Sonar, and Reaper. It does a decent job emulating the Mackie for the
price, anyway.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/26/2012 11:28 AM, mmm guitar wrote:

Hmm, so it pretty much seems like the Mackie MCU is where it is at,
seems quite a small market / expensive even for standard studio
equipment.

Well, yes, it IS a pretty small market. Most DAW users are
willing to put up with using a mouse for control and buy a
couple of good mics or a new guitar. Control surfaces,
particularly those with with moving faders, involve moving
parts and that makes them expensive. Behringer used to make
a couple for about $200, one with 8 faders and another with
a bunch of rotary knobs and buttons, the BCR2000 and BCF2000.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category...rs.aspx?s=O100

I thought they had been recently discontinued, but
Swee****er has them in stock. Better move fast.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Neil Gould wrote:

You want something like this?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SON...s-for-SONAR-X1

A case for www.lmgtfy.com ?

;-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 26, 5:32*pm, vdubreeze wrote:
Why not look into a tablet app as controller? *V Control Pro supports
Sonar on the iPad, and while I haven't seen it in use there I can
vouch that's it pretty fantastic for Logic and ProTools (seen it in
session, don't own it one). *On *the Android front I *believe*
TouchDAW supports Sonar as well, but there are other options for both.

The Neyrinck apps, including V Control Pro, are not limited to
controlling OSX programs.

http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control-pro

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/

Interesting, will look into that thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mmm guitar mmm guitar is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yeah that looked interesting thanks, think I would definitively need
something with LCD labels tho :P
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 26, 10:37*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/26/2012 11:28 AM, mmm guitar wrote:

Hmm, so it pretty much seems like the Mackie MCU is where it is at,
seems quite a small market / expensive even for standard studio
equipment.

Well, yes, it IS a pretty small market. Most DAW users are
willing to put up with using a mouse for control and buy a
couple of good mics or a new guitar. Control surfaces,
particularly those with with moving faders, involve moving
parts and that makes them expensive. *Behringer used to make
a couple for about $200, one with 8 faders and another with
a bunch of rotary knobs and buttons, the BCR2000 and BCF2000.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category...rs.aspx?s=O100

I thought they had been recently discontinued, but
Swee****er has them in stock. Better move fast.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Thanks for the spot. Think I'm going to try and build my own mixing
box using a 23" touch screen. May loose a little of the tactile
accuracy and multi-touch could be interesting, but should work...
hopefully...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/27/2012 6:55 AM, mmm guitar wrote:

Behringer BCF2000

Yeah that looked interesting thanks, think I would definitively need
something with LCD labels tho :P

Tape and a Sharpie has worked well for more than 50 years.
What's special about your requirements?

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/27/2012 6:55 AM, mmm guitar wrote:

Behringer BCF2000

Yeah that looked interesting thanks, think I would definitively need
something with LCD labels tho :P

Tape and a Sharpie has worked well for more than 50 years.
What's special about your requirements?

This whole thrtead is increasingly looking like a troll .

geoff

Hardware for VST? Federico Pro Audio 5 December 5th 08 07:20 PM
Hardware Interface J[_2_] Pro Audio 1 May 10th 07 03:35 PM
VST Hardware Federico Pro Audio 8 August 12th 06 06:25 PM
Linux Based Audio Hardware Interface Poised to Unseat Protools! [email protected] Pro Audio 18 July 9th 06 02:59 PM
Looking for hardware... Matt Ion Pro Audio 2 March 19th 05 06:52 AM