Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default DR-40 First impressions

Hi folks,
OK, I've only had this thing for about an hour, but I spent that time
getting familiar with its interface and trying a couple of the things I've
been asked about. So, this isn't a review. ;-)

General impression is that the UI won't stump anyone who has ever used a
portable DAT recorder or one of the Zoom products. One thing that I like
about it already is that some of the more obvious selections such as record
mode and track input select have dedicated buttons or switches. A "Quick"
button provides access to things like file management (e.g. "Quick Delete")
and other settings.

Phantom Power:
Phantom power is turned on by a selector switch on the side of the unit.
When it's set, there's a confirmation message on the screen before you can
record, so it's not easy to set it accidentally, and it's easy to turn it
off if you do. Menu settings give the option for 24v or 48v (default).

I turned it on with the external mics, and I didn't hear a whine while
wearing headphones. If it's there, it's well below the level of my tinitus.
;-) It's possible that they fixed this since the review, but this was not a
very conclusive test.

The display:
There's a lot of information on that little screen, but the basics are "out
front" and it didn't take more than about 5 minutes to get familiar with the
general layout. The menu is typical, following the same hierarchical layout
principles as one would find in a similar unit.

--
best regards,

Neil