Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimR TimR is offline

Default How do I freeze a note during playback so I can hear it, kind of likewhen MIDI gets stuck?

Is there an easy way to do this?

I would like to stop a piece while it is playing and just have it hold that note/chord/mix continuously until I move on.

I want to be able to listen long enough to hear what is really going on.

I also want to use it for teaching ear training and chord recognition.

I don't have sophisticated digital editing software but maybe this is easy to do. (Audacity is good enough for most of what I do.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"TimR" skrev i en meddelelse

Is there an easy way to do this?

Let me translate what you write: "Hi guys, I'm using - erm - this here
software, and I am too lazy to explore menus and help function, please tell
me how it works."

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

I would like to stop a piece while it is playing and just have it hold
that note/chord/mix continuously until I move on.

I want to be able to listen long enough to hear what is really going on.

I also want to use it for teaching ear training and chord recognition.

I don't have sophisticated digital editing software but maybe this is easy
to do. (Audacity is good enough for most of what I do.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimR TimR is offline

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:08:13 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
"TimR" skrev i en meddelelse

Is there an easy way to do this?

Let me translate what you write: "Hi guys, I'm using - erm - this here
software, and I am too lazy to explore menus and help function, please tell
me how it works."

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Actually not the case.

I've been discussing how to do this with other musicians, for the purpose of improving skill at chord recognition. (was that first inversion just before the repeat? suspended? diminished?)

None of us knew any software that would do it. The usual suspects don't have that function. What we use can't do that. What we do now is play a section over and over, and that works, but it would be convenient to freeze it like you can freeze a video.

It seemed likely to me that when you mix a recording perhaps you freeze at a point but keep listening so you can really hear balance, etc. So I thought I'd ask here. But maybe you never have enough time and always mix on the fly, who knows?

From your response it sounds like it may be doable within standard software..

Is it possible you could tell me the term for what I want to do? I'm pretty sure I could google it if I knew the name. (You know, like when you go to the hardware store and say you'd really like a socket wrench on the end of a screwdriver because you just can't get this piece apart any other way, and they shake their head sadly and say sorry, wish there was something like that but nobody makes one, and then your friend asks for a nutdriver and they say sure, Aisle 14, right on the end.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Hi Tim,

None of us knew any software that would do it. The usual suspects
don't have that function. What we use can't do that. What we do
now is play a section over and over, and that works,

Aha, sorry for being a bit harsh, but that is what you can. You can not stop
a stream and have it flowing. You can select a short duration of audio and
repeat it.

but it would be convenient to freeze it like you can freeze a video.

Erm, yes, a still image in audio happens to constitute silence, there is
nothing to perceive if you have no change over time.

Kind regards

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/11/2014 6:38 AM, TimR wrote:
Is there an easy way to do this?

I would like to stop a piece while it is playing and just have it hold that note/chord/mix continuously until I move on.

I want to be able to listen long enough to hear what is really going on.

I also want to use it for teaching ear training and chord recognition.

I don't have sophisticated digital editing software but maybe this is easy to do. (Audacity is good enough for most of what I do.)

Pretty much any digital audio workstation can do this, and some of
the software packages are pretty much free. Audacity should have
something like this.

In Cubase 5, there are "locators", which are two little triangles,
between which the audio will be repeated continuously, if the "repeat"
button has been clicked on.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimR TimR is offline

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:05:17 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
Erm, yes, a still image in audio happens to constitute silence, there is
nothing to perceive if you have no change over time.

Kind regards

Well, I wondered about that. When you play a tape, the sound stops if the tape isn't moving past the head.

I guess if I'd thought deeper about it, a note always has duration, and a note of duration zero would be silent.

So when you all mix a performance, you are always listening to it as a moving image?

MIDI does get stuck if it misses the off command. Maybe what I need to do is use a MIDI file and an anti-off command. Not that I know how to do this! But a program like Tapper that steps through MIDI on command might work with suitable material.

I did want to use normal recorded music for this rather than something canned, but anything will help.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimR TimR is offline

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:05:17 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
Hi Tim,

None of us knew any software that would do it. The usual suspects
don't have that function. What we use can't do that. What we do
now is play a section over and over, and that works,

Aha, sorry for being a bit harsh, but that is what you can. You can not stop
a stream and have it flowing. You can select a short duration of audio and
repeat it.

I am not quick to take offense, especially when begging for help. Yeah, I have no problem selecting a short segment and looping it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/11/2014 11:18 AM, TimR wrote:
I did want to use normal recorded music for this rather than something canned, but anything will help.

I don't think there's a pushbutton solution to what you want to do. What
you essentially need to do is to select the note you want to hear
continuously, highlight it, and tell the program to loop the highlighted
area. This is what I do in Sound Forge (you can do it in just about any
program) if, for example, I hear a note that sticks out and I'd rather
just dip down that frequency than compressor limit the passage. I'll
highlight a little section that surrounds the note, maybe a few notes on
either side, loop it, and then play with the EQ knobs.

You could do the same thing, just looping the single note, but you'd
need to be fairly precise in setting the end points. But I don't think
you'll find a program or a plug-in that will automatically detect the
boundaries of a single note and loop it.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Aha, sorry for being a bit harsh, but that is what you can. You can not stop
a stream and have it flowing. You can select a short duration of audio and
repeat it.

Actually, I've done this sort of thing with Csound. One can analyze a sound
down to a list of sine frequencies vs. time. You can then re-synthesize the
sound with fairly surprising fidelity. In this way, you can scrub through
the sound at any speed without changing the pitches. If you slow to a stop
you would just hear the instantaneous frequencies that were in play at that
moment in a song.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

TimR wrote:

it would be convenient to freeze it like you can freeze a video

A frozen musical note is rather different than a video frame.

Think about it for just a minute€¦

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

TimR wrote:

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:05:17 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
Erm, yes, a still image in audio happens to constitute silence, there is
nothing to perceive if you have no change over time.

Kind regards

(NB: Peter's earlier terseness was unusual. When the forum needs a rude
jerk it's usually my job. His attitude was a carryover from dealing with
a new poster here who wants much, but pays little attention to the
advice given. Peter is most often a stellar example of excellent
manners. Me, not so much sometimes.)

Well, I wondered about that. When you play a tape, the sound stops if the
tape isn't moving past the head.

I guess if I'd thought deeper about it, a note always has duration, and a
note of duration zero would be silent.

So when you all mix a performance, you are always listening to it as a
moving image?

The data representing music must flow in order for there to be music. In
the case of video we have a series of individual images presented in
succession rapidly enough that our visual processing sees a streaming
"moving picture". We can stop that flow and obserrve a single frame from
that stream. There is no direct equivalent for audio.

If I wish to examine a section of a piece, could be down to a single
note, but not often unless I am looking for some weird noise of very
short duration, I select the length to be looped, so that I can hear it
again and again to deal with whatever.

MIDI does get stuck if it misses the off command. Maybe what I need to do
is use a MIDI file and an anti-off command. Not that I know how to do
this! But a program like Tapper that steps through MIDI on command
might work with suitable material.

I did want to use normal recorded music for this rather than something
canned, but anything will help.

The stuck MIDI note imay not be suitable for your study efforts. To gain
understanding of a chord, in my experience, it helps to hear it
approached, played, and followed. I find it easier to hear the problem
voicing in context, as the voices change.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

TimR said...news:c9e6dfb2-9930-4f3c-b587-14639dfb5232
@googlegroups.com:

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:05:17 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
Hi Tim,

None of us knew any software that would do it. The usual suspects
don't have that function. What we use can't do that. What we do
now is play a section over and over, and that works,

Aha, sorry for being a bit harsh, but that is what you can. You can not

stop
a stream and have it flowing. You can select a short duration of audio

and
repeat it.

I am not quick to take offense, especially when begging for help. Yeah,

I have no problem selecting a short segment and looping it.

That, or some other type of sample & hold circuit.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Orlando Enrique Fiol Orlando Enrique Fiol is offline

In article ,
writes:
I've been discussing how to do this with other musicians, for the purpose of

improving skill at chord recognition. (was that first inversion just before
the repeat? suspended? diminished?)
None of us knew any software that would do it. The usual suspects don't have

that function. What we use can't do that. What we do now is play a section
over and over, and that works, but it would be convenient to freeze it like you
can freeze a video.

I can do that using Amazing Slowdowner and even Sound Forge. I just scrub the
desired region and loop playback when I have enough to hear.

It seemed likely to me that when you mix a recording perhaps you freeze at a

point but keep listening so you can really hear balance, etc. So I thought I'd
ask here. But maybe you never have enough time and always mix on the fly, who
knows?

Most balance issues in mixing cannot be addressed at the sample level because
sound has various components that can affect balance. For instance, a guitar's
transients might come through clearly in a given mix, while the sustains may
get swallowed up by other instruments.

Is it possible you could tell me the term for what I want to do? I'm pretty

sure I could google it if I knew the name. (You know, like when you go to the
hardware store and say you'd really like a socket wrench on the end of a
screwdriver because you just can't get this piece apart any other way, and they
shake their head sadly and say sorry, wish there was something like that but
nobody makes one, and then your friend asks for a but driver and they say sure,
Aisle 14, right on the end.)

Scrub and loop. All you're doing is setting up a loop point to repeat
endlessly; that's what simulates interminable sustain. No audio software can
simulate the sustain of a group of instruments or singers holding their breath
or pressing keys. The best you can do is loop the sustained portion of a sound
so that you hear something that simulates endless sustain.
--
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , writes:
To gain understanding of a chord, in my experience, it helps to hear it
approached, played, and followed.

That definitely works with most tonal music, even if you can only pick out the
lowest and highest voices. Learning the tendencies of stepwise voice leading
definitely helps; octaves expand to tenths and contract to sixths and fourths.
Thirds expand to fifths and contract to unisons. There are also interesting
triadic tendencies: chords moving by ascending or descending step share no
pitches, chords moving by ascending/descending thirds share at least two
pitches, while chords moving by ascending/descending fourths share only one
common tone. After that, the root motions merely invert. In my experience,
these guidelines are only useful for recognizable tonal triads and extended
chords. When I was first learning to navigate Olivier Messiaen's harmonic
language, I did lots of looping to discern the individual pitches of exotic
chords.

I find it easier to hear the problem
voicing in context, as the voices change.

I agree wholeheartedly.

--
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Teacher
Home: (215) 727-8729
Cell: (267) 971-7090
Email:

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

Erm, yes, a still image in audio happens to constitute silence, there is
nothing to perceive if you have no change over time.

A still image in audio is probably more like a barometer reading :-)

As others have said, the OP's best resort is to select a short snatch for
infinite looped replay: a) play music in daw; b) punch "pause" at the note of
interest; c) select, say, 0.5 sec backward in time from that point; d) play that
selection in a non-stop loop (- if that seems unavailable in his daw, a
workaround is to select an Effect (any effect) for application to the selection,
then just Preview that effect in Bypass mode.) One would need to balance the
usefulness of the selection length against the annoyance of the "recycle gaps'

Maybe the above actions could be chained into a handy 'Script', as used in
Audition, CEP etc. ?
--
Tom McCreadie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:54:07 -0500 "Mike Rivers" wrote
in article

[...]

I can't quite remember, but it seems to me that Melodyne Editor might let
you do that. It certainly does a remarkable job isolating individual
notes. I used it briefly a couple of years ago, so my memory is not
reliable
Posted to rec.audio.pro

TimR wrote: "I am not quick to take offense, especially when begging for help. Yeah, I have no problem selecting a short segment and looping it. "

You also don't have to take being treated like a piece of garbage. I cannot condone the content of the first reply to your orginal post.