Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Flippin Frappin Frips and Fraps

Recording with just the Zoom H6 and its own XY microphone module, some
tracks have some sort of electronic interference Regular beat of hash "fs
fs fs fs fs etc." for a few seconds, then OK. They had a row of microphones
set up for the Choral concert that night, wonder if RF from some wireless
microphones or other device could get in. I will make sure to **** OFF my
cel phone completely next time. Recorded at 24/96, editing on Audition 2.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/5/2014 11:48 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Recording with just the Zoom H6 and its own XY microphone module, some
tracks have some sort of electronic interference Regular beat of hash "fs
fs fs fs fs etc." for a few seconds, then OK.

Somebody too close to a microphone or cable had a cell phone turned on.
Next time, tell the folks to turn their phones all the way off (not just
on vibrate) before the recording session. If they really need to take
phone calls, they shouldn't be in the session.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jeff Henig" wrote in message
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:
Recording with just the Zoom H6 and its own XY microphone module, some
tracks have some sort of electronic interference Regular beat of hash
"fs
fs fs fs fs etc." for a few seconds, then OK. They had a row of
microphones
set up for the Choral concert that night, wonder if RF from some wireless
microphones or other device could get in. I will make sure to **** OFF my
cel phone completely next time. Recorded at 24/96, editing on Audition 2.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary, most people would SHUT off their cell phones. What did you do, eat
yours?

Heh. (;^)

OOPS - more interference!

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Somebody too close to a microphone or cable had a cell phone turned on.
Next time, tell the folks to turn their phones all the way off (not just
on vibrate) before the recording session. If they really need to take
phone calls, they shouldn't be in the session.

OK good - looks like it's unanimous. I got a new cell phone since the last
successful concert recording and never suspected this could happen. I was
the only one near the recorder, and these are live events and I have no
control over the audience but they usually stay back from the first row
where I am. Will shut the damn thing completely off next time (tomorrow).

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2014 1:06 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Will shut the damn thing completely off next time (tomorrow).

Try it at home right now. Don't wait until tomorrow.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/12/2014 5:48 p.m., Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Recording with just the Zoom H6 and its own XY microphone module, some
tracks have some sort of electronic interference Regular beat of hash "fs
fs fs fs fs etc." for a few seconds, then OK. They had a row of microphones
set up for the Choral concert that night, wonder if RF from some wireless
microphones or other device could get in. I will make sure to **** OFF my
cel phone completely next time. Recorded at 24/96, editing on Audition 2.

Gary Eickmeier

Cell-phone nearby ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/12/2014 7:06 a.m., Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Somebody too close to a microphone or cable had a cell phone turned on.
Next time, tell the folks to turn their phones all the way off (not just
on vibrate) before the recording session. If they really need to take
phone calls, they shouldn't be in the session.

OK good - looks like it's unanimous. I got a new cell phone since the last
successful concert recording and never suspected this could happen. I was
the only one near the recorder, and these are live events and I have no
control over the audience but they usually stay back from the first row
where I am. Will shut the damn thing completely off next time (tomorrow).

Gary

Nee-neeep, nee-neeep, nee-neeeeeeeep ...... nep ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/12/2014 11:19 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/6/2014 1:06 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Will shut the damn thing completely off next time (tomorrow).

Try it at home right now. Don't wait until tomorrow.

Even better do it yesterday, then then the problem is averted !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Session turned out fine, working on the CD now. Simple two mike ORT-F
configuration with cardioid mikes at 90.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

Session turned out fine, working on the CD now. Simple two mike ORT-F
configuration with cardioid mikes at 90.

90? With cardioids? That's not quite ORTF - at least with regular cardioids. Hypers,
maybe, but I'd still splay at 100 (which I do routinely with my M940 pairs). Regular
ORTF needs 110 to get the smooth and proper left-to-right representation.

And you did use 17 cm spacing, right?

Now, if you want to use 90, switch to NOS, which calls for 30 cm spacing. I've found
NOS useful for wide and shallow ensembles. Just used it a few days ago to give me
some mix highlight capabilities for an entire wide and shallow row of percussion
folks at the very rear of a big combo orchestra and wind band. Worked fine with a
pair of C451s, especially on a way over-damped stage that really sucks the life out
of stuff.

Frank
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Frank Stearns" skrev i en meddelelse

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

Session turned out fine, working on the CD now. Simple two mike ORT-F
configuration with cardioid mikes at 90.

90? With cardioids? That's not quite ORTF

No, ORTF is a wording that is often used outside what it is valid for, I
have given up on explaing what it actually is. It is intended for longer mic
to source distances than those I end up using.

- at least with regular cardioids. Hypers, maybe, but I'd still splay
at 100 (which I do routinely with my M940 pairs). Regular ORTF needs
110 to get the smooth and proper left-to-right representation.

I get to disagree with you, my my my. You need to include the variable
"opening angle", close to a wide source as little as 45 degrees can be what
works. Which is to say that you can not specify stereo pair angle between
capsules without also referencing intended stereo included image angle or
simply "angular width of stage/ensemble" and or distance to said
ensemble/stage.

And you did use 17 cm spacing, right?

Now, if you want to use 90, switch to NOS, which calls for 30 cm spacing.

Cardioids spaced 30 centimeters, at a guess - I have a protractor based on
the Stereophonic Zoom paper somewhere, another member of a now closed club
designed it based on it - you could end up with parallel microphones.

I've found NOS useful for wide and shallow ensembles.

A friend often uses fig8's spaced 40 centimeters and parallel, we also tried
it with cards, works very well.

Just used it a few days ago to give me some mix highlight capabilities
for an entire wide and shallow row of percussion folks at the very rear
of a big combo orchestra and wind band. Worked fine with a
pair of C451s, especially on a way over-damped stage that really sucks
the life out of stuff.

I have used the C451EB's with CK1's as close as they could get, ie. with
XLR's touching and about 60 degrees angle when close to ensembles. Frank,
there really is only one parameter that matters, it is decorrelation, it can
be obtained via two tools: distance and angle, if you have the need for a
wide included angle - a wide ensemble - you need to go to more correlation
to avoid hole in the middle (!) and with a narrow ensemble you need to go to
more decorrelation to spread them out and make them fill the stereo image
up.

You can trade angle for distance depending on how your actual microphone
capsules work, with too wide an angle the offaxis response becomes the
center image frequency response in which case distance may be the better
decorrelation tool and - hey presto - we are back at agreeing as that is
what you say you do.

To complicate it all, main pair setup is different with and without
supporting spot-microphones, it is ONE SYSTEM, be it somehow distributed
over the ensemble or on one stick.

A very neat property of MS setups, one that is often not understood, is that
the center image gets on axis response instead of off-axis response.

In the real world: leave all the papers on a chair - preferably outside the
concert hall lest they confuse you - go set The Pair up, listen, tweak if
you didn't get it right but try to not tweak more than three times, too much
finagling scares the talent.

Frank

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

Session turned out fine, working on the CD now. Simple two mike ORT-F
configuration with cardioid mikes at 90.

90? With cardioids? That's not quite ORTF

No, ORTF is a wording that is often used outside what it is valid for, I
have given up on explaing what it actually is. It is intended for longer mic
to source distances than those I end up using.

Well, in answer to this and several comments below, about 12 years ago when I got
back into large ensemble recording, I went through exhaustive and thorough
evaluation of several stereophonic techniques.

After going "outside the lines" with varying distances and angles, it turns out that
the books are mostly right -- 110 degrees/17 cm/standard cardioid for ORTF, 90
degrees/30 cm/standard cardioid for NOS, and 100 degree/50 cm/omnis with diffraction
spheres.

Now, you can vary these all you want, and you'll even get nice results.

But are the results remarkable? That is, can you do a test walk on a stage and get
an extremely accurate image left/right and front/back? How does the ensemble sound?
Everything where it should be? Various imaging aspects degrade as you stray from
those standards.

To a point, you *can* fuss with these standards to accommodate microphone
peculiarities and the room, but get too far and perhaps it's time to step back and
try another approach. Something with the room or mics is possibly biting you.

And for image size, I prefer to fudge exactly where the pair is placed rather than
mucking with the geometry. (AB gives good flexibility in this regard.)

- at least with regular cardioids. Hypers, maybe, but I'd still splay
at 100 (which I do routinely with my M940 pairs). Regular ORTF needs
110 to get the smooth and proper left-to-right representation.

I get to disagree with you, my my my. You need to include the variable
"opening angle", close to a wide source as little as 45 degrees can be what
works. Which is to say that you can not specify stereo pair angle between
capsules without also referencing intended stereo included image angle or
simply "angular width of stage/ensemble" and or distance to said
ensemble/stage.

See above; in this instance meaning if there is an odd-ball stage or ensemble
configuration, maybe it's worth looking at a different approach. (In the worst case
scenario, perhaps you spot mic and create good image in post. It can be done, it's
just annoying.)

And you did use 17 cm spacing, right?

Now, if you want to use 90, switch to NOS, which calls for 30 cm spacing.

Cardioids spaced 30 centimeters, at a guess - I have a protractor based on
the Stereophonic Zoom paper somewhere, another member of a now closed club
designed it based on it - you could end up with parallel microphones.

I've found NOS useful for wide and shallow ensembles.

A friend often uses fig8's spaced 40 centimeters and parallel, we also tried
it with cards, works very well.

From my experiments, it seems unlikely that this would work as well as, say, the
remarkable 50 cm omni pairs. (The imaging truly is eerie in its accuracy
left-to-right and front-to-back.)

But, one of these days I'll give it a try. I could see the 40 cm parallel fig 8s
being helpful in a hall that has crap coming off the side walls.

Just used it a few days ago to give me some mix highlight capabilities
for an entire wide and shallow row of percussion folks at the very rear
of a big combo orchestra and wind band. Worked fine with a
pair of C451s, especially on a way over-damped stage that really sucks
the life out of stuff.

I have used the C451EB's with CK1's as close as they could get, ie. with
XLR's touching and about 60 degrees angle when close to ensembles. Frank,
there really is only one parameter that matters, it is decorrelation, it can
be obtained via two tools: distance and angle, if you have the need for a
wide included angle - a wide ensemble - you need to go to more correlation
to avoid hole in the middle (!) and with a narrow ensemble you need to go to
more decorrelation to spread them out and make them fill the stereo image
up.

Agreed, but that's were trouble can abound... The angles and distances are indeed
interrelated. Screw with one and you can wind up with a hole in the middle, near
mono, or subtle but still bad is an uneven or "non-linear" (if you will) imaging.
There is no hole in the middle, and it feels good left-to-right, but things are not
located where they should be. Or, worse than that, perhaps your left-to-right is
good but now, unwittingly, the front-to-back image is messed up (or simply no
longer exists).

You can trade angle for distance depending on how your actual microphone
capsules work, with too wide an angle the offaxis response becomes the
center image frequency response in which case distance may be the better
decorrelation tool and - hey presto - we are back at agreeing as that is
what you say you do.

To complicate it all, main pair setup is different with and without
supporting spot-microphones, it is ONE SYSTEM, be it somehow distributed
over the ensemble or on one stick.

Indeed. That's why spots are used carefully, and with appropriate delays.

Generally, I use two pairs on the one main stick: one ORTF which has the property of
"reaching in" to an ensemble when that's needed in post, and the 50 cm omnis. Lush
and wondeful, they do 90+% of the work.

A very neat property of MS setups, one that is often not understood, is that
the center image gets on axis response instead of off-axis response.

With better microphones, this should be a non-issue. And with omnis, the LF and
overall linearity is generally better. As a bonus, the local idiot cable system (if
you're doing sound for orchestra broadcasts) can actually lose an entire channel and
you'll still have reasonable sound.

And while I like some of the flexibility of MS, it (and XY) never provided the
front-to-back imaging that I've found with the 50 cm omnis.

In the real world: leave all the papers on a chair - preferably outside the
concert hall lest they confuse you - go set The Pair up, listen, tweak if
you didn't get it right but try to not tweak more than three times, too much
finagling scares the talent.

Of course. I always do fussing out of view of the clients. I've got protractors for
ORTF, NOS, and AB. I can be set to run with two pairs in just a moment or two. And
I'll have repeatable and predictable results.

But, as always, YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

[...]

From my experiments, it seems unlikely that this would work as well as,
say, the
[...]

I guess I will have to call it N.O.S. What I used was an existing bracket
that usually holds 3 or 4 mikes (all 90 from each other) and put two on it
at about 40 cm apart. I thought that the 90 degrees was the magic number for
good center fill with cardioids. So if I look down the barrel of each mike
it is pointing just outside the angle of the entire orchestra. I am
positioned at front row center, which is fairly distant from the orchestra,
I would guess around 60 ft. I just played it once so far, and it seems to
image fine, left, center and right fairly even all across, but with no
"pinpoint" imaging at that distance. But not for the audience either!

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Frank Stearns" skrev i en meddelelse

Many words of wisdom snipped ...

[...]

A-B setups often have a charming panorama. Interestingly it was a 5.1
evening in the danish AES chapter that made me understand how stereo pairs
work because one of the lecturers had 3-d models of their behaviour and
explained that the off axis loss of stereo separation used correctly helped
get the stage rectangular in the panorama instead of inverse V lying down
shaped.

Generally, I use two pairs on the one main stick: one ORTF which has the
property of "reaching in" to an ensemble when that's needed in post, and
the 50 cm omnis. Lush
and wondeful, they do 90+% of the work.

Visually I think it tends to be messy when deployed at a concert, but it is
a known good way to keep yer options open, I try to keep my location setup
as light as possible since there is only me to carry it.

A very neat property of MS setups, one that is often not understood, is
that
the center image gets on axis response instead of off-axis response.

With better microphones, this should be a non-issue. And with omnis,
the LF and overall linearity is generally better. As a bonus, the
local idiot cable system (if you're doing sound for orchestra broadcasts)
can actually lose an entire channel and you'll still have reasonable
sound.

You need to go to 1/8 inch capsules if you want off axis linearity and then
you end up with a noise issue.

And while I like some of the flexibility of MS, it (and XY) never provided
the
front-to-back imaging that I've found with the 50 cm omnis.

This is true in most cases albeit with the caveat that reflections from -
for instance - a glass ceiling - can lead to image blur. So many over here
in B&K-land use omnis as per the dpa brochure that I intentionally aim for
"gout americain". But I did use omni setups most of the time at a chamber
music festival this august because of a request for room discretion.
Something that got me a wee bit of a Crystal Clear Records sound ... not a
bad place to be.

In the real world: leave all the papers on a chair - preferably outside
the
concert hall lest they confuse you - go set The Pair up, listen, tweak if
you didn't get it right but try to not tweak more than three times, too
much
finagling scares the talent.

Of course. I always do fussing out of view of the clients. I've got
protractors for
ORTF, NOS, and AB. I can be set to run with two pairs in just a moment or
two. And
I'll have repeatable and predictable results.

But, as always, YMMV.

It is like cooking, you can standardize the prescribed way to do it, but the
produce you work with (the musicians) as well the the stoves (rooms) vary
and it becomes an intuitive process. When I use spotmiking on a concert
grand I have found that I tend to use quite different setups for different
pianos, keyboard operators and works, listen for the spot to be in!

Frank
Mobile Audio

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I guess I will have to call it N.O.S. What I used was an existing bracket
that usually holds 3 or 4 mikes (all 90 from each other) and put two on it
at about 40 cm apart. I thought that the 90 degrees was the magic number for
good center fill with cardioids. So if I look down the barrel of each mike
it is pointing just outside the angle of the entire orchestra. I am
positioned at front row center, which is fairly distant from the orchestra,
I would guess around 60 ft. I just played it once so far, and it seems to
image fine, left, center and right fairly even all across, but with no
"pinpoint" imaging at that distance. But not for the audience either!

A 40cm/90 cardioid array gives a theoretical SRA of 68, so if your orchestra
seating was spread through almost 90, you might percieve a slight bunching up.
or funny localization of the outermost edge players?

Wow - front row center, yet still 60 ft from the orchestra! Must be a big
hall..or is there a moat to stop the fans storming the stage? :-)
--
Tom McCreadie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
"Frank Stearns" skrev i en meddelelse

A very neat property of MS setups, one that is often not understood, is
that
the center image gets on axis response instead of off-axis response.

With better microphones, this should be a non-issue. And with omnis,
the LF and overall linearity is generally better. As a bonus, the
local idiot cable system (if you're doing sound for orchestra broadcasts)
can actually lose an entire channel and you'll still have reasonable
sound.

You need to go to 1/8 inch capsules if you want off axis linearity and then
you end up with a noise issue.

You can try something like the Earthworks which do indeed have similarly sized
capsules. And if you do this, you may find that you don't really want
off-axis linearity as much as you thought you did.

A little bit of beaming can actually help out with something like a Jecklin
disc although it's no help for a spaced triad hung over an orchestra.

It is like cooking, you can standardize the prescribed way to do it, but the
produce you work with (the musicians) as well the the stoves (rooms) vary
and it becomes an intuitive process. When I use spotmiking on a concert
grand I have found that I tend to use quite different setups for different
pianos, keyboard operators and works, listen for the spot to be in!

Indeed. It's important for the novice to familiarize themselves with the
standard stereo miking configurations first, though, before then finding out
about variations.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tom McCreadie" wrote in message

A 40cm/90 cardioid array gives a theoretical SRA of 68, so if your
orchestra
seating was spread through almost 90, you might percieve a slight
bunching up.
or funny localization of the outermost edge players?

I must confess listening in Expanded mode of my receiver in surround sound.
Puts the full stage width back in to most recordings. The Lissajous pattern
was quite small but very round. What does that tell me? I'm thinking equal
amounts of L, C, and R and in phase and out of phase signal.

Wow - front row center, yet still 60 ft from the orchestra! Must be a big
hall..or is there a moat to stop the fans storming the stage? :-)
--
Tom McCreadie

My distance estimator might be a little rusty from my photography days.
There is the orchestra on the main stage easily 20 ft back of the lip, then
there is the apron that sticks out another 20, so let's say at least 40,
maybe 50 ft. Should have used my camera to focus on them and see if there is
a distance scale!

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

snips

I guess I will have to call it N.O.S. What I used was an existing bracket
that usually holds 3 or 4 mikes (all 90 from each other) and put two on it
at about 40 cm apart. I thought that the 90 degrees was the magic number for

It's related to the distance between the microphones. Not sure what would happen at
40 cm, especially being that far away.

good center fill with cardioids. So if I look down the barrel of each mike
it is pointing just outside the angle of the entire orchestra. I am
positioned at front row center, which is fairly distant from the orchestra,
I would guess around 60 ft. I just played it once so far, and it seems to
image fine, left, center and right fairly even all across, but with no
"pinpoint" imaging at that distance. But not for the audience either!

Imaging probably does break down at that distance, at least for microphones.

But human hearing in good condition should readily be able to identify positions
along even that narrow arc, even with a lot of room reverb (well, up to a point,
anyway).

I'm not sure what you have, either. Can you adjust those bracket for 30 cm? You
might try that, see what you get.

Personal preference: I rank NOS as less real than ORTF or AB, but slightly better
than XY or MS.

YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Peter Larsen" writes:

"Frank Stearns" skrev i en meddelelse

Many words of wisdom snipped ...

Words of equal wisdom snipped.

A-B setups often have a charming panorama. Interestingly it was a 5.1
evening in the danish AES chapter that made me understand how stereo pairs
work because one of the lecturers had 3-d models of their behaviour and
explained that the off axis loss of stereo separation used correctly helped
get the stage rectangular in the panorama instead of inverse V lying down
shaped.

I would have loved to have seen that. Anything on line about this?

Generally, I use two pairs on the one main stick: one ORTF which has the
property of "reaching in" to an ensemble when that's needed in post, and
the 50 cm omnis. Lush
and wondeful, they do 90+% of the work.

Visually I think it tends to be messy when deployed at a concert, but it is
a known good way to keep yer options open, I try to keep my location setup
as light as possible since there is only me to carry it.

I recently took on an audio-enthused 18 year old to do the heavy lifting.

The appearance isn't bad. Everything is matte black; I make sure the big knobs of
the Avenger stand are turned upstage so that most in the audience can't see those;
the wires also go upstage, mostly out of sight. The pairs are typically 5-8 feet
above the conductor's head, thus clearing that visual. The stand pipe is perhaps
7/8" in diameter at the fattest.

The 940s are among the smallest large diaphragm packages out there; the 183s are
fairly small. So while you notice the rig, it's far less obnoxious, than, say,
placing a Decca tree with M49s or M50s on one of the crank-up Avengers.

A very neat property of MS setups, one that is often not understood, is
that
the center image gets on axis response instead of off-axis response.

With better microphones, this should be a non-issue. And with omnis,
the LF and overall linearity is generally better. As a bonus, the
local idiot cable system (if you're doing sound for orchestra broadcasts)
can actually lose an entire channel and you'll still have reasonable
sound.

You need to go to 1/8 inch capsules if you want off axis linearity and then
you end up with a noise issue.

For test and measurement, yes.

Take a look at the polar pattern of the KM183s. Not too bad, all things considered.
There's also a newer, smaller diaphragm "Solution D" series that I've heard
(amazing). If I ever win the lottery, I'd get a pair or two.

But the irony in both cases is that the diffraction spheres intentionally make the
omnis much more "beamy" above 10 KHz. That's part of how the system works. Remove
the spheres, and things still work, but the imaging is not as defined and sharp.

And while I like some of the flexibility of MS, it (and XY) never provided
the
front-to-back imaging that I've found with the 50 cm omnis.

This is true in most cases albeit with the caveat that reflections from -
for instance - a glass ceiling - can lead to image blur. So many over here
in B&K-land use omnis as per the dpa brochure that I intentionally aim for
"gout americain". But I did use omni setups most of the time at a chamber
music festival this august because of a request for room discretion.
Something that got me a wee bit of a Crystal Clear Records sound ... not a
bad place to be.

Sounds interesting. Anything online of that event?

[...]

It's nice to get as dialed in as you can as the event it tracked, but I still love
the finesse of post get things just where they need to be.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

It's nice to get as dialed in as you can as the event it tracked, but I still love
the finesse of post get things just where they need to be.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.

Heres a method I've been using you might like.

3 cardiod mics mounted on one stand about 10 feet above the conductor and about 5 feet out into the audience.

Left mic aimed at the left edge of the band, right mic to the right and middle mic straight ahead.

The 3 mics feed a small mixer.
Left mic panned hard left, right mic, hard right.
Middle mic panned center.

Now you can adjust the level of the middle mic to fill in the hole as you like. My recorder is only 2 tracks so I have to make that mix adjustment decision during tracking, I find about -3 to -6 dB to be good.

If you have a multi-track recorder, you can of course record each mic separatly and make the mix decision in post.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 10 Dec wrote:

Heres a method I've been using you might like.

3 cardiod mics mounted on one stand about 10 feet above the conductor and
about 5 feet out into the audience.

Left mic aimed at the left edge of the band, right mic to the right and
middle mic straight ahead.

The 3 mics feed a small mixer.
Left mic panned hard left, right mic, hard right.
Middle mic panned center.

Now you can adjust the level of the middle mic to fill in the hole as you
like. My recorder is only 2 tracks so I have to make that mix adjustment
decision during tracking, I find about -3 to -6 dB to be good.

If you have a multi-track recorder, you can of course record each mic
separatly and make the mix decision in post.

Mark

You forgot to mention whether your 3 mics were spaced or coincident.
If spaced, at what distance?

if almost coincident, that set-up would tend to give you "fat mono", and
might
be improved by:
- hard-panning Left the difference signal "Left mic minus Right mic",
instead
of panning just the Left mic
- - hard-panning Right the difference signal: "Right mic minus Left mic",
instead of panning just the Right mic
--
Tom McCreadie

Makolber - how did you position the mikes there? High stand or hanging? If
hanging, how the devil do you do that? I really really really wish I could
hang my mikes and point them where I want them and connect them to some
station below.

Curiously, I have been using a three or four mike arrangement with 3
cardioids aimed L, R, straight ahead and if a 4th one for surround straight
back. They were about 35 cm apart and connected to my Zoom H6 4 track. Full
360 coverage with, in effect, 4 pairs 90 apart. Can mix any way I want,
can't find much fault with the results yet. Closest thing to it in the
literature is OCT, the Optimized Cardioid Triangle of Gunther Thiele. I am
guessing that his spacing is 60 cm and the book says that the Mid mike was a
cardioid, the flanders hypercardioid. Middle mike placed in the null of the
R and L flankers.

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

- how did you position the mikes there? High stand or hanging? If
hanging, how the devil do you do that? I really really really wish I could
hang my mikes and point them where I want them and connect them to some
station below.

on a high stand extended way up.

I bought a cute little one to three mic bracket on ebay that screws onto the top of the mic stand and then provides three receptacles to atttach 3 mic clips. They are handheld type condensor mics mounted in the mic clips, so the capsules end up roughly in a triangle each about 6 inches from the mounting point. Not coincident.

I gaffed together 3 mic cables with color coded ends so I can easily set this up.

I just recently switched to this arrangment. Previously I had been using 3 separate mic stands, one mic near the left instruments, percussion etc, and one mic all the way to the right near the horns and one mic in the center, panned left right and center of course. (left and right are from the audience perspective)

I'm still debating with myself which method I prefer. I think I actually prefer the sound of the 3 widely spaced mics. With the 3 mics in the center, the center instruments seem to dominate and the percussion and the horns are a little weaker and most distant than I would like. I don't detect any imaging problems either way.

Mark