Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Davy Jones of The Monkees

Did anyone here ever work with Davy Jones? He passed away today in Florida.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

On Feb 29, 3:40*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Did anyone here ever work with Davy Jones? He passed away today in Florida.

My daughter met him 1 year ago on South Florida. I am not sure if she
was working with him. She said he was lit at 10am in the morning. GT.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/29/2012 8:41 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Did anyone here ever work with Davy Jones? He passed away today in Florida.

Not I.

But I liked the show when I was a li'l crumb cruncher. Dug those guys.

May he rest in peace.

I saw The Monkees in Miami in the sixties. Jimi Hendrix was their opening act.

A few years ago, I met Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork behind stage after a Monkees
concert. Davy took off after the show and didn't hang around for the meet and
greet. Performance wise, he wasn't there, but I would still liked to have met him.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Wed 2012-Feb-29 22:25, mcp6453 writes:
I saw The Monkees in Miami in the sixties. Jimi Hendrix was their
opening act.

Crewed a show they did in the midwest in the '80's. Think i mixed monitors part of the afternoon iirc.

The highlight of that show was Gary Pucket. Still a great
tenor voice.

I remember a dj worked for the station sponsored bringing
that package show with them in got into a little fisticuffs
with somebody from management of the monkees and got ejected g.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/1/2012 5:03 AM, Richard Webb wrote:
On Wed 2012-Feb-29 22:25, mcp6453 writes:
I saw The Monkees in Miami in the sixties. Jimi Hendrix was their
opening act.

Crewed a show they did in the midwest in the '80's. Think i mixed monitors part of the afternoon iirc.

The highlight of that show was Gary Pucket. Still a great
tenor voice.

I saw that tour when it came to my area. Gary's performance was without a doubt
one of the best live performances I've ever heard. Before he went on, I was not
a big fan. After hearing "This Girl Is A Woman Now," I became a major fan. I met
him at a local concert a year or so later, and he was a nice and gracious
gentleman. Unfortunately, he backed off of the high notes in TGIAWN.

A few years later, some buddies in The Kingsmen asked me to videotape them from
the soundboard. Gary was on the same show. He sent word to me that I was
absolutely not to tape his performance. Not only was I not planning to tape it,
I didn't have enough tape to record it even if I wanted to. I hadn't even
thought about it.

After he performed, it became clear to me why he didn't want it taped. He didn't
sing his songs like the record. Even the two ladies sitting on the back row in
front of the soundboard were ****ed and complaining when they got up to leave
after his part of the show was over.

I'm no longer a Gary fan.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Did anyone here ever work with Davy Jones? He passed away today in
Florida.

Not I.

But I liked the show when I was a li'l crumb cruncher. Dug those guys.

May he rest in peace.

I saw The Monkees in Miami in the sixties. Jimi Hendrix was their opening
act.

Saw that same tour. Hendrix got practically booed off the stage at Kennedy
Stadium, Bridgeport, CT.
I met the same fate when I backed up Rick Derringer

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Jeff Henig writes:

snips

I've always been a fan of both Robert Plant and Paul McCartney. They're
both shadows of their former selves, vocally. But I'm still a fan of both.

Steve Perry can't do it at all anymore, but I'm a fan.

And Joni Mitchell, et al.

It's sad, really, because with a little care and vocal training early on, those
voices could have lasted a life-time.

Dear old mom was a classical singer and teacher who nearly lost her voice to bad
training when very young. But just like one of those 1940s melodrama movies, she
found a good teacher in NYC who recovered the voice and made it better than ever.

As a kid the vocal exercises always drove me out of the house, but later in life I
appreciated the importance of what she was doing.

A few months before her passing at age 82, she was still able to sing snippets of
Mozart arias and other art songs. Due to really poor health she didn't have the
stamina to do very much, but the tone was *completely* unchanged from her youth --
still bell-like, still flawless intonation, with just the right vibrato. No deep
smokey sound (in a bad way) and no 2 semitone vibrato.

Even pop singers can benefit from protecting their voices through good training, and
it need not necessarily change their "sound" (unless they're punk screamers, and,
well, maybe a later silence is golden w).

So if you've got a fave artist you work with but they complain of voice issues or
shout from their overly-tense throats rather than sing from their diaphragms,
suggest classical training to them. You might save a voice.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
: After he performed, it became clear to me why he didn't want it taped.
: He didn't sing his songs like the record. Even the two ladies sitting
: on the back row in front of the soundboard were ****ed and complaining
: when they got up to leave after his part of the show was over.
: I'm no longer a Gary fan.

I think if a band plays a tune exactly the same as the record, that would
be a bit lazy. Maybe it's because I listen mostly to jazz. Are you saying
it was bad that he changed the songs, or are you saying that he couldn't
sing as well as he did on his earlier records? Because making changes to
the music is an artistic decision, and one of the reasons to see a live
performance is to see how an artist has evolved, and what they are doing now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/1/2012 5:07 PM, wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
: After he performed, it became clear to me why he didn't want it taped.
: He didn't sing his songs like the record. Even the two ladies sitting
: on the back row in front of the soundboard were ****ed and complaining
: when they got up to leave after his part of the show was over.
: I'm no longer a Gary fan.

I think if a band plays a tune exactly the same as the record, that would
be a bit lazy. Maybe it's because I listen mostly to jazz. Are you saying
it was bad that he changed the songs, or are you saying that he couldn't
sing as well as he did on his earlier records? Because making changes to
the music is an artistic decision, and one of the reasons to see a live
performance is to see how an artist has evolved, and what they are doing now.

He changed it from the record. I guess I prefer lazy. The complaining ladies
were trying to sing along. That didn't work. If there's a hook in the record,
diehard fans want to hear the hook.

Artists have the freedom to change things up, if they want. Fans have the
freedom to cease being fans. In Gary's case, I'd be willing to bet that more
people were ****ed than impressed that he changed things. He painted a mustache
on the Mona Lisa, as the saying goes.

I can understand where jazz might be different. With pop music that is played
over and over and over again on the radio, fans often memorize every nuance of
the song, and they often want to hear it done exactly that way.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson[_2_] John Williamson[_2_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

I can understand where jazz might be different. With pop music that is played
over and over and over again on the radio, fans often memorize every nuance of
the song, and they often want to hear it done exactly that way.

Happens for me quite often where there is a new cover version of a song
released. The kids expect to hear the latest version, and the teachers
prefer the older version, which is often a cover version anyway.

American Pie in one that comes to mind where the kids prefer Madonna's
version, while the teachers prefer Don McLean's.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu 2012-Mar-01 11:19, mcp6453 writes:
The highlight of that show was Gary Pucket. Still a great
tenor voice.

I saw that tour when it came to my area. Gary's performance was
without a doubt one of the best live performances I've ever heard.
Before he went on, I was not a big fan. After hearing "This Girl Is A
Woman Now," I became a major fan. I met him at a local concert a year
or so later, and he was a nice and gracious gentleman. Unfortunately,
he backed off of the high notes in TGIAWN.

Oh yeah I'm sure. Happens to all of us.

A few years later, some buddies in The Kingsmen asked me to videotape
them from the soundboard. Gary was on the same show. He sent word to
me that I was absolutely not to tape his performance. Not only was I
not planning to tape it, I didn't have enough tape to record it even
if I wanted to. I hadn't even thought about it.

CAn relate. There was a current star of that era i won't
mention who played a club, same company did his sound. I
was doing setup for the show, but had a corporate thing
going on for another client that evening. The star's
management insisted no taping.

A few months later I'm hanging out at home when a buddy of
mine comes by and wants me to hear this cool bootleg he got, of that show at that club. It was obvious from listening it was a sound board tape. Needless to say, I told our boss
who I recalled worked that show while I did the corporate,
and that a covert sound board recording was in circulation
from it.

After he performed, it became clear to me why he didn't want it
taped. He didn't sing his songs like the record. Even the two ladies
sitting on the back row in front of the soundboard were ****ed and
complaining when they got up to leave after his part of the show was
over.

Yeah that happens, heck he had to be getting a bit long in
the tooth then to hit those high ones. It happens to all of us.

I'm no longer a Gary fan.

I sure was before that performance on the tour, and seeing
and hearing him during that show meant i remained one. I've heard other reports that his shows weren't near as dynamic
in later years. IT happens.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
muzician21 muzician21 is offline

On Mar 1, 11:19*am, mcp6453 wrote:

After he performed, it became clear to me why he didn't want it taped. He didn't
sing his songs like the record. Even the two ladies sitting on the back row in
front of the soundboard were ****ed and complaining when they got up to leave
after his part of the show was over.

One of my favorite pop singers. In the 60's, his voice had an
interesting, dusky character. By the 80's he still sounded great -
going by video evidence of the era, his voice actually sounded
"clearer" to me. I remember he did a cameo on some made for tv movie
from the 80's centered around a fictional girl group that had had some
big hits and was reuniting. He was one of the acts at an "oldies"
concert, I recall him sounding fantastic.

At some point though, for some reason he started throwing these cheesy
embellishments into his old hits. He turned those once fantastic
interpretations into something you'd expect from some stereotypical
lounge-singer.

For probably 20 years or so his vocal chops have been in obvious
decline. Last I heard he was still performing but his voice has none
of what once made him special as a vocalist. If I didn't know it was
him I don't think I'd even identify him as Gary Puckett.

I'm no longer a Gary fan.

I don't think I'd pay to hear him today but I still enjoy his old
recordings as much as ever.

Here's an interesting moment from the 80's - Gary appearing with Jim
Glaser. Glaser was one of the co-writers of The Union Gap's hit
"Woman". They even do an impromptu performance of part of "Woman".
Glaser is himself a superb vocalist.

http://youtu.be/ThF0NS3ejok
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Frank Stearns writes:

Even pop singers can benefit from protecting their voices through good training, and
it need not necessarily change their "sound" (unless they're punk screamers, and,
well, maybe a later silence is golden w).

So if you've got a fave artist you work with but they complain of voice issues or
shout from their overly-tense throats rather than sing from their diaphragms,
suggest classical training to them. You might save a voice.

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants to
preserve his voice?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Mar 1, 8:27*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants to
preserve his voice?

1. Don't scream through a tight throat. In fact, don't sing anything
through a tight throat.

2. Don't sing with your head thrown back. Pete Seeger did for years,
and now his voice is almost totally gone. (This is really a sub-set of
1., since throwing your head back tightens your throat.)

3. Don't drink coffee, coke, red wine, Scotch whisky, or real tea
before you sing. If you're going to drink wine, make it white (but see
5.), and not too much; if you're going to drink tea, make it herbal,
preferably lemon.

4. Don't neglect vocal warm-ups.

5. Don't sing drunk. You'll numb any pain you're feeling, and cause
damage.

6. Don't forget to use monitors to hear yourself so you don't try to
push through the instruments. Let the mic and PA do the hard work.

7. Don't try to sing outside of your comfortable range.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

PStamler wrote:
On Mar 1, 8:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants
to preserve his voice?

1. Don't scream through a tight throat. In fact, don't sing anything
through a tight throat.

Don't sing 'from the throat' at all . Sing from the chest.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler writes:

On Mar 1, 8:27=A0pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

Good points all, and there's also this: correct training will help you learn how to
support your voice from the diaphragm. It's a bit like learning to lift something
heavy by using your legs and keeping the center of gravity near your core. Too many
singers do the equivalent of lifting cinder blocks at arm's length by bending their
back (shudder; makes my back hurt to even visualize that!)

Correct training can also help you learn to find all the assets your particular
voice has; the correct resonance, the correct range, etc. It will also help give
you the most air efficiency and control in your voice.

From all these things you'll find the best tone, use little air to make a lot of
tone (without hurting the voice), maintain good intonation through good control,
etc.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 08:29:12 -0600, Frank Stearns
wrote:

PStamler writes:

[...]

From all these things you'll find the best tone, use little air to make a lot of
tone (without hurting the voice), maintain good intonation through good control,
etc.

Frank
Mobile Audio

And the final one that 90% of young singers would do well to heed.
Open the back of the throat - let the tongue drop. Stand in front of a
mirror to practice, and make sure you can see your tonsils for all the
vowels.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
PStamler wrote:
On Mar 1, 8:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants
to preserve his voice?

1. Don't scream through a tight throat. In fact, don't sing anything
through a tight throat.

Don't sing 'from the throat' at all . Sing from the chest.

That's easy for bassos, but hard if you're a soprano.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri 2012-Mar-02 00:04, Paul writes:
1. Don't scream through a tight throat. In fact, don't sing anything
through a tight throat.

Yep, and use the chest and diaphragm mostly.

2. Don't sing with your head thrown back. Pete Seeger did for years,
and now his voice is almost totally gone. (This is really a sub-set
of 1., since throwing your head back tightens your throat.)

Right, and one that you didn't add, don't sing with
incorrect posture. All bent over is not a way to sing.
That's why i used to like a high stool for playing keyboards when I had to sing as well, it forced me to position my body properly.
But, the final one ...

My ex wfie was a vocal teacher by training. IT's funny, but she could hera problems with singers that would negatively
impact them, and describe what the singer was doing with his body/instrument just through the sound, such as incorrect
posture, etc. Even though I had a good vocal teacher in
school she taught me a lot. In turn, I had to teach her how to work with a microphone g.

7. Don't try to sing outside of your comfortable range.

is violated all the time in pop and rock. I'm like JEff,
I'm a bass, which is why I write mostly stuff I've written,
and not much commercial pop/rock even when I play with such
organizations, or did as a younger man. That's why you hear all these pop and rock once were guys who can't hit the
notes for the songs that made them popular.

YEs would agree with you on monitors, when appropriate, and
in most modern forms of music with electronics monitors are
necessary, and not just having monitors, but properly set up and positioned monitors.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
PStamler wrote:
On Mar 1, 8:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants
to preserve his voice?

1. Don't scream through a tight throat. In fact, don't sing anything
through a tight throat.

Don't sing 'from the throat' at all . Sing from the chest.

That's easy for bassos, but hard if you're a soprano.

Bass, soprano or anywhere in-between, the 'motor' should still be the chest.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jonathan[_5_] Jonathan[_5_] is offline

On Friday, March 2, 2012 9:29:12 AM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
PStamler
writes:

[...]

From all these things you'll find the best tone, use little air to make a lot of
tone (without hurting the voice), maintain good intonation through good control,
etc.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.

One thing nobody mentioned is throat clearing.
Over time this is damaging to the vocal cords.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jonathan writes:

One thing nobody mentioned is throat clearing.
Over time this is damaging to the vocal cords.

What sort of throat clearing?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Frank Stearns writes:

Even pop singers can benefit from protecting their voices through good
training, and
it need not necessarily change their "sound" (unless they're punk
screamers, and,
well, maybe a later silence is golden w).

So if you've got a fave artist you work with but they complain of voice
issues or
shout from their overly-tense throats rather than sing from their
diaphragms,
suggest classical training to them. You might save a voice.

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants to
preserve his voice?

Smoke, drink, scream.

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"geoff" wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
PStamler wrote:
On Mar 1, 8:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

What are the main things that a singer should _not_ do, if he wants
to preserve his voice?

1. Don't scream through a tight throat. In fact, don't sing anything
through a tight throat.

Don't sing 'from the throat' at all . Sing from the chest.

That's easy for bassos, but hard if you're a soprano.

Bass, soprano or anywhere in-between, the 'motor' should still be the chest.

geoff

Indeed.

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Jonathan writes:

Any kind

Why would any kind of throat clearing damage the vocal cords?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Jeff Henig wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jonathan writes:

Any kind

Why would any kind of throat clearing damage the vocal cords?

Tell you what, do an experiment. Clear your throat for an hour straight to
exaggerate the effect. Then try to sing.

Man, clues are like a quarter apiece and maniac still has none.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Davy Graham RIP MiNe 109 Audio Opinions 2 December 19th 08 05:00 PM
quincy jones Marko @ Spielberg Audio Labs Marketplace 0 April 22nd 06 06:16 PM
Billy Joel and The Monkees LD's, $1.99 each Robert Simandl Marketplace 0 March 14th 04 04:09 AM
New Norah Jones CD Mike Audio Opinions 5 February 20th 04 11:07 PM
norah jones mic? xy Pro Audio 66 September 24th 03 06:28 AM