Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phillip S Phillip S is offline

Default do all harmonizer plug-ins suck?

I am looking for a plugin for Sonar that will give great sounding backup
vocals/harmonizing.....but everything seems to suck based on the samples
I've heard....everything I hear sounds so fake. Is there anything good that
I might be missing, or do they all suck?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

"Phillip S" wrote in message
t...
I am looking for a plugin for Sonar that will give great sounding backup
vocals/harmonizing.....but everything seems to suck based on the samples
I've heard....everything I hear sounds so fake. Is there anything good
that I might be missing, or do they all suck?

I happen to know that the song "Big World" recorded by my friend Lance
Martin had absolutely all of the BVs done soley with V-Vocal which is built
into Sonar Producer. There were no BVs sung at all. To me it sounds pretty
good.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=408992

So, you might already have the harmonizer you're looking for.

Cheers,
Bill.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

Phillip S wrote:
I am looking for a plugin for Sonar that will give great sounding backup
vocals/harmonizing.....but everything seems to suck based on the samples
I've heard....everything I hear sounds so fake. Is there anything good that
I might be missing, or do they all suck?

If you're looking for something that sounds just like a real backing
vocal, then yes, they all suck. When I have to create harmonies from a
lead vocal (shhh! don't tell anyone), I use Celemony Melodyne. It was
worth the $$$ and it does a whole lot more than just harmonies, but
beware... you have to create them yourself, you at least have to know
what you're doing musically. You can't just pick a key and an interval
and turn it on.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:56:44 -0400, "Phillip S"
wrote:

I am looking for a plugin for Sonar that will give great sounding backup
vocals/harmonizing.....but everything seems to suck based on the samples
I've heard....everything I hear sounds so fake. Is there anything good that
I might be missing, or do they all suck?

They all suck unless you take complete musical control. You might, I
suppose, listen to a preset and think "That's cool! I could build a
song around that!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 27, 12:56 am, "Phillip S" wrote:
I am looking for a plugin for Sonar that will give great sounding backup
vocals/harmonizing.....but everything seems to suck based on the samples
I've heard....everything I hear sounds so fake.

It sounds like it's face because it IS fake. What's wrong with
recording some more background parts?

A "harmonizer" tool is handy for making a quick demo or filling out an
otherwise good recording. It's not a substitute for more real tracks.
Never was, never will be.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Phillip S wrote:
I am looking for a plugin for Sonar that will give great sounding backup
vocals/harmonizing.....but everything seems to suck based on the samples
I've heard....everything I hear sounds so fake. Is there anything good that
I might be missing, or do they all suck?

Well, they all sound really fake, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Sometimes that can be a useful tool, as in "Pilot of the Airwaves."

But if you want it to sound like a real backup group, you need a real
backup group, and you need to mike them like a backup group (ie. more
distant miking than you would use for a lead vocal).

Harmonizer plugin? JeffandJean Pro Audio 0 February 20th 06 08:03 PM
Plug-in Harmonizer? JeffandJean Pro Audio 0 February 17th 06 02:32 AM
vocal harmonizer quest reqluq Pro Audio 2 June 29th 05 01:05 AM
What Harmonizer? Darcy Peter Pro Audio 8 November 21st 03 10:36 PM
FA: digitech DHP-55 harmonizer Brian H. Pro Audio 0 August 12th 03 07:14 AM