Nace

Default Firewire formats - PC and Mac

Hey,

Im interning at a studio right now and got the go ahead to use it when
its not booked. I went out a got a external firewire drive so I can
take what I do in the studio home. But the studio uses mac and I have
PC. What is the best choice to format my new drive to so that I may use
it on both pc and mac to read and right files ...FAT 32 ( for which
there is no option on windows) or maybe OS-Extended ( does this really
work im not very certain.)

Your suggestions are appreachiated.

J. Nace

Zigakly

"Nace" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey,

Im interning at a studio right now and got the go ahead to use it when
its not booked. I went out a got a external firewire drive so I can
take what I do in the studio home. But the studio uses mac and I have
PC. What is the best choice to format my new drive to so that I may use
it on both pc and mac to read and right files ...FAT 32 ( for which
there is no option on windows) or maybe OS-Extended ( does this really
work im not very certain.)

Your suggestions are appreachiated.

J. Nace

By "OS-Extended" I think you mean Mac's HFS+, which can be "extended" to
very small block sizes, which save a lot of space for boot drives with lots
of small files. For audio where most files are larger than 10MB the
difference is not appreciable since HFS+ results in much larger directory
trees that are more susceptible to problems. Standard HFS is still common
in studios.

Moot point though, you're probably best served with FAT32, but there's also
NTFS which Macs used to have trouble dealing with, that may have changed
though. FAT32 might limit you to a 128GB drive size limit though, double
check if you're getting something larger.

Arny Krueger

Nace wrote:
Hey,

Im interning at a studio right now and got the go ahead to

use it when
its not booked. I went out a got a external firewire drive

so I can
take what I do in the studio home. But the studio uses mac

and I have
PC. What is the best choice to format my new drive to so

that I may
use it on both pc and mac to read and right files ...FAT

32 ( for
which there is no option on windows) or maybe OS-Extended

( does
this really work im not very certain.)

FAT-32 looks like the best common ground between Windows and
the Mac, given that Windows doesn't know what OS-Extended
is, and the Mac may have similar problems with NTFS.

Lorin David Schultz

"Nace" wrote:

What is the best choice to format my new drive to so that I may use
it on both pc and mac to read and right files ...FAT 32 ( for which
there is no option on windows) or maybe OS-Extended

XP won't read HFS drives, and OSX won't read NTFS. You have two
choices:

1. Format your drive FAT32. It doesn't come up as an option in the
usual place under XP, but I accidentally found a way to do while looking
for something else one day. If I could remember what that way was, I
would tell you! g The point is, it *is* possible.

2. Buy MacDrive software. Then your XP box will read HFS drives.
Format the drive with the Mac and you're good to go.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

John O

2. Buy MacDrive software. Then your XP box will read HFS drives.
Format the drive with the Mac and you're good to go.

This is by far the better of the two choices. MacDrive is good software.

-John O

Nace

Thanks man thats helpful.

Does anyone know what the deal is with OS-Extended, by that I mean what
is it, how is it different. The studio owner seems to think it will
allow the drive to work with PC, but I havent tested it.

Any thoughts

jn

Lorin David Schultz

"David Morton" wrote:

Not meaning to nit-pick, and just for information: OSX has been able
to read NTFS partitions since Panther (10.3). The problem is that it
can't yet write to them properly, even in the current Tiger (10.4)
release.

If you say so. Ours won't.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

David Morton

In article iCrqe.44807$on1.9867@clgrps13, (Lorin
David Schultz) wrote:

If you say so. Ours won't.

Here's what 'Get Info' shows when I plug a FireWire NTFS drive into a
Tiger Mac
http://www.well.com/~dmorton/NTFSFireWire.jpg

The dates are screwed, and it's read only, but it mounts and data
transferred of these drives is fine.
Lorin David Schultz

"David Morton" wrote:

Here's what 'Get Info' shows when I plug a FireWire NTFS drive into
a Tiger Mac http://www.well.com/~dmorton/NTFSFireWire.jpg

The dates are screwed, and it's read only, but it mounts and data
transferred of these drives is fine.

Far out. Ours wants to reformat the drive.