Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Default NFB 101 Part Deux

Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished part two of
NFB 101. I found I could not describe it properly without diagrams and
proper equations so I had to resort to using a word processor and
converting the result into a pdf, all of which took time. So point your
browser he http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to download it.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck is offline

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished part two of
NFB 101. I found I could not describe it properly without diagrams and
proper equations so I had to resort to using a word processor and
converting the result into a pdf, all of which took time. So point
your browser he http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to
download it.
Cheers

Ian

Thanks, Ian. Just printed it out to read later.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished part two of NFB
101. I found I could not describe it properly without diagrams and proper
equations so I had to resort to using a word processor and converting the
result into a pdf, all of which took time. So point your browser he
http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to download it.

Excellent Ian. I have just printed this out for bedtime reading.
And just as Andre had reported there was nothing happening.
Your timing was impeccable:-)

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Iain Churches wrote:
"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished part two of NFB
101. I found I could not describe it properly without diagrams and proper
equations so I had to resort to using a word processor and converting the
result into a pdf, all of which took time. So point your browser he
http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to download it.

Excellent Ian. I have just printed this out for bedtime reading.
And just as Andre had reported there was nothing happening.
Your timing was impeccable:-)

Iain

There may be typos in it still. I changed all the text based formulae to
'proper' ones so something may have got lost in translation. There are
certainly some superfluous brackets lying around only because I have not
yet worked out how to get the formula editor to suppress them. And I am
not sure if the figures tie up exactly with the text and of course it is
nowhere near finished yet.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Iain Churches wrote:
[...]

Good work Ian.

RDH4 has all this spelled out of course, and uses
, "mu" for amplification factor and "beta" for fraction of output
voltage
either in series with input voltage for series voltage NFB or in shunt
with applied NFB
as in shunt voltage NFB.

RDH4 lists all the many varieties of feedback, both positive and
negative,
and current and voltage types and whether it is shunt or series.
RDH4 also has a table to show what the effects are of all the different
types
of NFB.

But not every single fascinating aspect of feedback is explored in RHD4.

For example, did you know that positive "series" current feedback will
reduce the output
resistance of any amplifier, but at the cost of reducing bandwidth and
increasing distortions?

If we consider a "normal" amp response of having a reducing output
voltage as the RL becomes lower
as having a POSITIVE output resistance, then the positive CFB can reduce
this amount of Rout
to a lesser value; a typical ultralinear amp with say Ro = 7 ohms with
PCFB
can easily have its Rout reduced to say 1 ohm.
We assume Rout has been reduced from +7 ohms to +1 ohm.
Then the application of the global series voltage "normal" NFB will
reduce it even more to a lower value along with all distortions of the
amp and those
produced by the PCFB applied internally.

We can even apply so much PFFB that the positive Ro becomes a NEGATIVE
output resistance,
and the result is that output voltage rises when RL value is reduced.
So +1 ohm can be reduced further so Rout = ZERO ohms, then even less
than zero ohms, ie
maybe -1ohm.
Obviously, such negative Ro tempts fate and credulity because its
impossible
to get an amp which makes say 16Vrms at clipping into 8 ohms to make
20Vrms into 1 ohm.
But it is possible to make the same amp which makes 1.6V into 8 ohms
deliver 2V into 1 ohms.
But we would find this difficult to live with; once you examine how its
done, and experiment
with it, there are definate stability issues, and the open loop gain (
OLG ) must be reduced or phase tailored
to prevent oscilations, and the application of the PCFB be prevented at
extremities of LF and HF bandwidth.
Very interesting, but don't say I have not warned you.

The maths involved around each different form of feedback will take you
another 20 pages to explain.

I do suggest that all your terms for RL, Ra, and all others be made the
same as in RDH4,
because it was a good standard and everyone should know it, and that
equations be written in the same way.

In your theoretical workings for NFB application, how about showing some
typical
tube power amplifier schematics with NFB applied with all working
voltages with their polarities
so ppl can measure their own amps and understand it all a lot better?

Using a triangle pointing to the right to represent an amp with two
inputs on the
left vertical side and one output at the right point is the text book
way to represent an amp
so people do not have to keep in mind all the complex inner amp topology
which distracts them from the basic idea.
The same model can then be used for a tube amp or an opamp.

However, to include all possible phase shift peculiarities of the open
loop
character of an amp and the equivalent networks in the amp which produce
them
and their interaction when FB is used takes rather a lot of work.

NFB theory and application has already covered in many old books, and
many should be found then read,
and the messages in each will overlap each other books's shortcomings,
and you end up wize while you
remember it all, then dumb again when you forget it all.
Unless of course all you do all day everyday is design and stabilise new
and old amplifiers.
I probably do enough to keep me wize.

I have never seen an online calculator for NFB, where one dials in the
details of the open loop gain and all its phase shift rates and bothers,
and then
ask for 20dB of NFB, and click "calculate", and have the program come up
with the FB network and including all the phase tweaking networks needed
for
unconditional stability into any possible type of reactive loading, R
load, or no load at all.
Such a program could possibly be a boon for the dumbos to whom feedback
is a terrible mystery, and always will be,
and hence hated fiercely, and avoided.
But with a programmed or synthesized solution,
one must ensure it is still a viable solution which works in practice.
Since garbage in = garbage out with simulation programs, expect many
simulated solutions using tubes and OPTs to still be good oscillators
when nobody expected it.
That's because its difficult for anyone to correctly define all the open
loop
gain and phase shift character. Too ****ing hard.
Just bulid it, and learn to stabilise it by empirical methods of network
applications and trial and error
and by observation with a CRO. This is a far quicker way than all the
calculations in the world sitting
down at a table when you should be in the workshop achieving something
real.

Models of the single tube amplifier stage should include an extremely
low voltage generator producing output of x Vg
with series resistance between the gene output and the anode terminal
should be explained
as equivalent models of the triode or pentode ot any other tube.
Newbies NEED to know the very boring basics before thay can have any
chance of understanding.
Most don't have a clue what a voltage generator is, or what the dynamic
anode resistance is at all!!!

I welcome you to borrow whatever you need from

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/tube-operation1.html

and

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/tube-operation3.html

I don't have all the possible various feedback applications mentiuoned
at my site.

It is to be expected that the learning tube crafter will absorb the
basic ideas and
be able to perform all the basic calculations for normal series and
shunt VOLTAGE NFB.

The equations for gain with FB applied are slightly different for the
these two main types of NFB.

Since NOBODY ever dares to apply any positive voltage or current
feedback anywhere anymore to any amp whatsoever,
I have not mentioned exactly how it can be done successfully, because
the risks of
parasitic oscillations are so likely in the hands of ignorant would be
experts.

In general with low triode input/drivers, tube amplifiers have only a
mild amount of voltage gain without
any NFB applied, ie, "open loop" gain.
And this "OLG", open loop gain is then reduced by the OPT voltage ratio.

So, to force the amp to have an apparently larger amount of open loop
gain,
some positive voltage FB or positive current FB was applied and the
resulting amp
with mild applications of standard series voltage global negative FB
measured far better than with
just standard global series voltage NFB applied alone.
Its all mentioned in RDH4.

There was classic application of combined forms of FB in a commercial
example in Bogan amps
which had variable positive FB to vary the damping factor of their amps
and it gave better
sounding bass we have been told.

But such fiddles with FB or active manipulations of Rout are to be
treated with utmost caution.

With too much positive current FB, a shorted output can make an amp
oscillate
internally very violently, and cause its demise from thermal runaway
of the output tubes, so too much PCFB is extremely undesirable.
A little dab of PCFB goes a long way and is extremely effective in
reducing Rout a lot though
without increasing the bad artifacts of reduced BW and distortions very
much.

In SS amps, nobody ever would use old fashioned tricks of positive FB
anywhere
because the total including the input LTP, VAS and output BJTs of
mosfets is over 100,000x,
or more than 80dB, so when a TOTAL amount of series voltage NFB is
applied
in the form of say 30dB emitter or source FB in the output stage and
50dB of global NFB,
the gross distortions of crossover and THD and IMD in the OLG
charateristic are reduced
to well below what is ever possible to be heard.

Well, in theory that is, because often some ratbag ****ant 20 watt SE
tube amp will
give a clearer rendition of what Motzart or Led Zeppilin intended than
some
100W SS thinge, and despite the fact the SE amp will have very little
NFB and
have 100 times the measured THD/IMD than the SS amp.

Numbers ain't everything.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell[_3_] Ian Thompson-Bell[_3_] is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
Good work Ian.

RDH4 has all this spelled out of course, and uses
, "mu" for amplification factor and "beta" for fraction of output
voltage
either in series with input voltage for series voltage NFB or in shunt
with applied NFB
as in shunt voltage NFB.

Yes I wanted to use the proper symbols but I took me so long to get my
head around the word processors formula editor that I never got round to
working out how to do special characters. I will revise that aspect
though.

[...]

Clearly RDH4 has covered this material in some detail and I did include
a link to chapter 7 saying I was not going to repeat that chapter. The
question is what is the right balance for RAT readers, especially
noobies as this is supposed to be NFB101 and it is already bogged down
in maths. Personally I like the analysis to be clear without such things
as 'this can be expressed as' without any attendant explanation.
Obviously it needs to be heavily tube related so I thought after the CF
I would do he unbypassed CC followed by shunt derived and applied FB
around a triode of pentode stage mainly because they are easier to
understand and there are no stability problems. Next I thought I would
cover the classic two stage shunt fed series applied circuit which leads
nicely into stability issues.

In your theoretical workings for NFB application, how about showing some
typical
tube power amplifier schematics with NFB applied with all working
voltages with their polarities
so ppl can measure their own amps and understand it all a lot better?

That sounds like a good idea.

Using a triangle pointing to the right to represent an amp with two
inputs on the
left vertical side and one output at the right point is the text book
way to represent an amp
so people do not have to keep in mind all the complex inner amp topology
which distracts them from the basic idea.
The same model can then be used for a tube amp or an opamp.

I purposely avoided that because its common usage is to represent an
amplifier with infinite gain, zero output resistance and infinite input
impedance and as we both know, tubes only meet one of those criteria. I
was trying to emphasize that tubes fall far short of this ideal which is
why many of the op-amp simplifications just don't apply to tubes.

[...]

An interesting point. Do you think NFB101 should start with a statement
of what knowledge is assumed along with pointers to references for those
who don't have it?

I welcome you to borrow whatever you need from

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/tube-operation1.html

and

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/tube-operation3.html

I don't have all the possible various feedback applications mentiuoned
at my site.

Thanks for the permission to use ingfo from your site.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

But even with an opamp with huge open loop gains and supposedly huge
Rin,
the actual OLG and OL BW ( open loop bandwidth ) can be stated as easily
as the BASIC OL BW of a tube amp.
The calculations should always include a drawn model of the amp with
whatever
BASIC resistances/impedances which affect the aplication of NFB.

[...]

Exactly.

NFB is a very tricky and foreign concept to many minds.

Its no use taling about volts and amps to those who don't know what they
are
and how they relate to resistance in the form of Ohm's Laws.

Newbie confusions are 90% due to very poor mental picturing of the very
basic issues.

Instead of making the effort to leaqrn, the silly newbie short cuts to
human commonsense, and such simplistic thinking doesn't work with
electronics very well.

First come the concepts, then the math.

NFB acts in an amp to force it to amplify the difference between an
input signal and an output signal. Distortion at the output
is amplified in such a way to oppose its own production, and people
must see how to easily calculate from what they observe in a given amp
after taking voltage measurements
after calculating gain.

Then in an amp with NFB and OLG of 100, and = 0.1, and with 0.1% of
THD at 10Vrms output level,
there will be THD at the output = 10 x 0.1/100 Vrms = 0.01Vrms.

If = 0.1, then 0.1 x 0.001Vrms of distortion appears at the negative
feedback terminal of the amp
which is the second of the pair of input terminals able to be found on
every amplifier.

So, with OLG = 100, it only takes 10V / 100 of input sugnal between the
two input terminals for
output of 10V, so the open loop Vin input voltage = 0.1Vrms.

The 0.001Vrms of distortion is also amplified 100 times by the OLG gain
and so hence appears as 0.1V Dn at the output.
But how can this be when we measured Dn = 0.01Vrms???????

It is because the open loop character of the amp tries to make 0.11Vrms
of Dn,
but the amplified distortion fed back of 0.1Vrms subtracts from the
0.11Vrms of Dn to leave the measured
residue of 0.01Vrms.

The action of distortion reduction occurs simultaneously with
distoprtion creation
by the amp without any NFB.

The open loop BW and thus phase of the signals determines how effective
this THD/IMD reduction by NFB actually is.

Even without the official feedback/gain/bandwidth formulas, the above
explains the essence of NFB
application in all cases of simple series voltage NFB, and even in a
cathode follower,
which the newbie must come to understand as the most basic of all
applications of series voltage NFB.

They have to know why the words "series" and "voltage" are used.

One reason is that the type of *LOOP* or global NFB used most is
neither "shunt" nor "current".

Electronics demands we have to consider more than one thing acting
simultaneously, and we have to make fine distinctions.

I welcome you to borrow whatever you need from

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/tube-operation1.html

and

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/tube-operation3.html

I don't have all the possible various feedback applications mentiuoned
at my site.

Thanks for the permission to use ingfo from your site.

Over the last 2.5 years since I included the NFB descriptions and basic
tube workings
at my website,
nobody has challenged me on the legitimacy.

Let me know if you think I have made any mistakes.

Patrick Turner.

t is

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell[_4_] Ian Thompson-Bell[_4_] is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

I agree the triangle is in common usage. However, the diagram I used
does follow the RDH one and to me rather neatly shows exactly what is
meant by series applied NFB which I find hard to see in the triangle
version but that's just me. Perhaps when I get to multi-stage tube
circuits the triangle will be more appropriate, much as illustrated by
your owm web site.

snip

[...]

OK, I'll include a 'you must be familiar with' bit at the start along
with pointers to books & web sites with the basics. I'll include a link
to your site if that's OK.

Over the last 2.5 years since I included the NFB descriptions and basic
tube workings
at my website,
nobody has challenged me on the legitimacy.

Let me know if you think I have made any mistakes.

The power stuff certainly saves me a lot of work especially as tube
power amps are a complete unknown to me.

Thanks for the input.

P.S I have just been through the pdf and changed all the Bs to betas and
ms to mus (can't work out how to get special characters in my mail app).

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

I used to use u and B for and and got pulled up about it.
B is reserved for magnetic field strength, not the fraction fed back.
Context makes it obvious though what id meant, but adherance to old
conventions
makes it easier when ppl read something elsewhere and they don't have to
learn another
language, or drive on the other side of the road.

But I don't know what other typing tricks give what.

Anyone like to post the list of possible Alt plus signs and figures?????

Patrick Turner.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

But I am not using windows, I am using Linux

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

But I am not using windows, I am using Linux

Then it won't work !

I imagine there may be some equivalent way to do the same.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

Yes, that is correct, and if you typed 2 3 0 on the
numbers near the letters, it won't go,
and the numbers pad to the left has to be used.
Funny thing, but I never ever use this number pad for anything
else than for and .

Patrick Turner.

PS, And a happy St Pat's day to all o'yer.

I heard St Patrick was a son of a Roman nobleman of Britain,
before 400AD, and when Christianity had become the official
church of Rome to replace the pagan faiths.
If yer can't beat em, join em.
Well now, that's what me muther told me today now.
She says he wasn't even an Irishman.
But me dear old dear has drifted a bit off the old faith,
after reading lots of books.

But what she didn't tell me was
that 'tis said St Patrick had a whopper of a cock,
and when he went to Ireland, and faced the wilderness, he raised his
kilt
and showed it to the Irish snakes, and they became so terrified at
Paddy's snake they fled
across the sea. No more snakes in Ireland after that.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

But I am not using windows, I am using Linux

Cheers

There must be a way to type greek letters used in science.

Patrick Turner.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Deeper than windows, goes back at least to MSDOS and maybe
deeper than that. It's just ASCII code. A table of the
extended ASCII set reveals all.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

Yes, that is correct, and if you typed 2 3 0 on the
numbers near the letters, it won't go,
and the numbers pad to the left has to be used.
Funny thing, but I never ever use this number pad for anything
else than for and .

Er, my laptop does not have a separate numeric keypad - oops yes it does
but they only work when NumLock is engaged - even then alt 230 does not
work. I have asked on a Linux forum so maybe they'll know.

CHeers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?
It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Graham

But I am not using windows, I am using Linux

Cheers

There must be a way to type greek letters used in science.

Easy enough in a word processor but not is seems in the mail client.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

--
Iain
Aural perception is a skill that requires study and careful development over
Patrick Turner wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt
key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?
It's not related to Thunderbird. It's how to generate 'alternate
characters'
generally in Windows but Patrick didn't explain it fully.

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Grahamo

Yes, that is correct, and if you typed 2 3 0 on the numbers near the
letters, it won't go,
and the numbers pad to the left has to be used.
Funny thing, but I never ever use this number pad for anything
else than for and .

Er, my laptop does not have a separate numeric keypad - oops yes it does
but they only work when NumLock is engaged - even then alt 230 does not
work. I have asked on a Linux forum so maybe they'll know.

I use a Scandi keyboard.
The character is marked on the keyboard
and can be accessed by ALT-M.

I cannot find the code for beta.
Any ideas?

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

flipper wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:15:18 +0000, Ian Thompson-Bell
wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
When doing plain text emails to the group or anyone else,
I depress Alt while typing 2 3 0 for or mu when I release the Alt key.
Alt and 2 2 5 gives , or beta.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me. Anyone know how to do
it in Thunderbird?

Cheers

Ian

If it's the same as Seamonkey you can insert special characters from
the menu "Insert -- Characters and Symbols." You get a dialogue box
with 'category selection' and drop down selection of the symbol (from
that category).

Can't find anything like that in Thunderbird.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Is this "" beta? On my keyboard it is alt s, I wonder if my newsreader
will leave it alone.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fred[_8_] Fred[_8_] is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message ...
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Is this "" beta? On my keyboard it is alt s, I wonder if my newsreader
will leave it alone.

In outlook express, alt s sends the message you're trying to compose. ;-(

Fred

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian wrote:

Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished
part two of NFB 101. I found I could not describe it
properly without diagrams and proper equations so I had to
resort to using a word processor and converting the result
into a pdf, all of which took time. So point your browser
he http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to
download it.

Certainly got everyone talking about feedback...

What was the point?

Good for DC, but very misleading, IMO, to depict a block
with more than one input. Find someone who claims to learn
from this kind of stuff, and test him. It's easy to foster
delusions of knowledge.

Ppl who to want to teach would do well to find out how. It's
a skilled profession, doncha know.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Is this "" beta? On my keyboard it is alt s, I wonder if my newsreader
will leave it alone.

Yes. That works.

Alt-s on Outlook Express with my Scandi keyboard sends the
messsage just as Control-s does. I still cannot find "beta"
perhaps I shall need to cut and paste it from one of your
posts:-)

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Ian wrote:

Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished
part two of NFB 101. I found I could not describe it
properly without diagrams and proper equations so I had to
resort to using a word processor and converting the result
into a pdf, all of which took time. So point your browser
he http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to
download it.

Certainly got everyone talking about feedback...

What was the point?

Good for DC, but very misleading, IMO, to depict a block
with more than one input. Find someone who claims to learn
from this kind of stuff, and test him. It's easy to foster
delusions of knowledge.

Ppl who to want to teach would do well to find out how. It's
a skilled profession, doncha know.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

I think you really delight in being a soggy cold dripping wet blanket
sometimes.

ALL amplifiers have TWO input and TWO output terminals.

The majority of amplifiers are set up so the input from an external
source is brought to the amp between 0V and ONE of the two inputs.

But an input transformer can act so the pair of input terminals are
floating and have no direct connection to 0V.

The OTHER remaining input is sometimes connected to 0V.

The output signal is often but not always put out as acting between TWO
live output terminals,
and with one of them connected to 0V.
The output can also float with both terminals un-referenced to 0V, like
the input,
by means of an OPT.

Excactly what set up one has for analysis can be simply depicted with
symbols
rather than labour with all the details of internal circuitry.

It makes NFB application easier to understand.

Patrick Turner.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Hold down the Alt key *and keep it held down*.

Then press 2, 3 ,0 ON THE NUMERIC KEYPAD.

Then release the Alt key.

Should work on all PCs with Windows.

Deeper than windows, goes back at least to MSDOS and maybe
deeper than that. It's just ASCII code. A table of the
extended ASCII set reveals all.

Ian

yeah, ASCII is viewable at

http://www.asciitable.com/

Alt plus 230 gives ,

Alt plus 225 gives ,

Alt plus 234 should give the omega sign, but gives only 0?????

Alt plus 237 should give theta but gives f,
and plus 232 should give a similar larger theta but gives only F.

Alt, 168 = , Alt 233 gives T, not a circle with dot in the middle.

So not much good eh?

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

--
Iain
Aural perception is a skill that requires study and careful development over
along period of time. Few have it as a natural gift.
"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:14:27 +0200, "Iain Churches"
wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Is this "" beta? On my keyboard it is alt s, I wonder if my newsreader
will leave it alone.

Yes. That works.

Alt-s on Outlook Express with my Scandi keyboard sends the
messsage just as Control-s does. I still cannot find "beta"
perhaps I shall need to cut and paste it from one of your
posts:-)

Iain

Hold ALT, on numeric keypad press 2 2 5, release ALT.

Hooray!

Thanks illion:-)

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Iain Churches wrote:
"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Iain

what do you get for Alt-Gr-S ??

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

John Byrns wrote:

Is this "" beta? On my keyboard it is alt s, I wonder if my newsreader
will leave it alone.

Still looks like a at this end too.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

--
"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:14:27 +0200, "Iain Churches"
wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

[...]

Thanks llion, and illion. But
thats all the greek I can find with alt XXX presses.

I've seen the ascii list and what's supposed to come out with different
number pad numbers does not
arrive.

So its sorta works, and sorta don't work....

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian wrote:

Sorry it has been a while coming but I have just finished
part two of NFB 101. I found I could not describe it
properly without diagrams and proper equations so I had to
resort to using a word processor and converting the result
into a pdf, all of which took time. So point your browser
he http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/data/nfb101.pdf to
download it.

Certainly got everyone talking about feedback...

What was the point?

It was suggested that documenting the basics as they apply to tubes
would be a good idea and I sort volunteered to do it.

Good for DC,

Of course. It is a work in progress. You have to establish the basics
before moving on to the hard bits.

but very misleading, IMO, to depict a block
with more than one input.

Please explain how that is misleading.

Find someone who claims to learn
from this kind of stuff, and test him. It's easy to foster
delusions of knowledge.

Time only will tell. Once it is complete it will either be slated or
revered, probably both. I am happy to put the effort in.

Ppl who to want to teach would do well to find out how. It's
a skilled profession, doncha know.

So is electronics design of any sort, but there's loads of amateurs on
this group and I think it is beneficial to try to explain things that
are relevant to tubes design. There are plenty of web resources on basic
tube theory but little on the depths of tube NFB.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

No problem. If you have any constructive criticism I'll be glad to hear.
Perhapss you would like to contribute.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

flipper wrote:
Ian
If it's the same as Seamonkey you can insert special characters from
the menu "Insert -- Characters and Symbols." You get a dialogue box
with 'category selection' and drop down selection of the symbol (from
that category).

Can't find anything like that in Thunderbird.

Hmm. Well, I suppose it figures they'd make two products doing the
'same thing' different.

Cheers

Ian

I just discovered there's a char map application under Accessories in
Ubuntu so here's a ß and here's a different one β and here's a mu μ.

Cheers
Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Iain Churches wrote:

Hooray!

Thanks illion:-)

Iain

Thanks llion, and illion. But
thats all the greek I can find with alt XXX presses.

I've seen the ascii list and what's supposed to come out with different
number pad numbers does not
arrive.

So its sorta works, and sorta don't work....

Yes. That's what I find also.
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Iain Churches wrote:
"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta and this mu

is Alt-Gr-s and is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt key to
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt Gr.

Hmm. can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M
and also as ALT 230 .

I stilla kanna finda "beta"

Iain

what do you get for Alt-Gr-S ??

Nothing at all. There are only two Alt-Gr combinations
that work:

Alt-Gr E gives me the Euro sign ?
and Alt-Gr M gives me

And Alt-S send the message.

But Alt-225 give me :-)
I am happy with that.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

--
"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:14:27 +0200, "Iain Churches"
wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

[...]

I get the Greek characters shown in the second line below from my
keyboard by holding down the "alt" key and pressing the key shown in the
first line.

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

Well I guess they all aren't Greek, and I had to leave out the
characters corresponding to the letters e, i, n, & u because they seem
to cause side effects in my newsreader.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"John Byrns" wrote in message
Patrick Turner wrote:

--
"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:14:27 +0200, "Iain Churches"
wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

[...]

? Y T s ^ . ? ?
Well I guess they all aren't Greek

Indeed:-) The first is the Swedish "o" (why then is it an "a"
you might ask!

I get nothing with the alt key esxcept shortcuts to the
newsreader commands. But with Alt/Gr I get:

Scandi
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
?
UK
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

Most curious
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Iain Churches wrote:
"John Byrns" wrote in message
Patrick Turner wrote:

--
"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:14:27 +0200, "Iain Churches"
wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
I think I make have cracked it, this should be beta ß and this mu

ß is Alt-Gr-s and µ is Alt-gr-m wher Alt-Gr is the the other alt
key
the right of the space bar on my laptop and which is labeled Alt
Gr.

Hmm. µ can be found on my keyboard as AltGr-M µµµµµ
and also as ALT 230 µ.

I stilla kanna finda "beta"
Is this "ß" beta? On my keyboard it is alt s, I wonder if my
newsreader
will leave it alone.
Yes. That works.
Alt-s on Outlook Express with my Scandi keyboard sends the
messsage just as Control-s does. I still cannot find "beta"
perhaps I shall need to cut and paste it from one of your
posts:-)

Iain

Hold ALT, on numeric keypad press 2 2 5, release ALT.
Hooray! ßßßßß

Thanks ßillion:-)

Iain
Thanks µllion, and ßillion. But
thats all the greek I can find with alt XXX presses.

I've seen the ascii list and what's supposed to come out with different
number pad numbers does not
arrive.

So its sorta works, and sorta don't work....

I get the Greek characters shown in the second line below from my
keyboard by holding down the "alt" key and pressing the key shown in the
first line.

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
å ? ç  Y © T  s ¬ µ ø ¼ ¦ ® ß Ý ^ . ? ¥ ?
Well I guess they all aren't Greek

Indeed:-) The first is the Swedish "o" (why then is it an "a"
you might ask!

I get nothing with the alt key esxcept shortcuts to the
newsreader commands. But with Alt/Gr I get:

Scandi
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
? µ
UK
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

á é * ó ú

Most curious
Iain

With Alt-Gr I get