Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] itchyneebanshee@hotmail.com is offline

Default stereo miniplug to mono bud?

Hi,
How can I take a standard pair of ear buds, cut one off
and use the other one as a mono signal that combines
both channels [for use in one ear].

I've tried adaptors, but the mono plugs that fit into the
adaptors have a terrible sound.

I stripped one inexpensive pair of buds and saw that there
were two wires in each casing, making a total of four.
One of each pair were the same color, but combining
those [twisting together] and the other two wires
did not produce a mono signal.

Is there another way to do this?

Thanks.

itchy
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl Tomi Holger Engdahl is offline

writes:

Hi,
How can I take a standard pair of ear buds, cut one off
and use the other one as a mono signal that combines
both channels [for use in one ear].

I've tried adaptors, but the mono plugs that fit into the
adaptors have a terrible sound.

I stripped one inexpensive pair of buds and saw that there
were two wires in each casing, making a total of four.
One of each pair were the same color, but combining
those [twisting together] and the other two wires
did not produce a mono signal.

Is there another way to do this?

Borrow the combining idea he
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linesum.html

INPUT 1 -------\/\/\/\---+
---+ R1 10K +------------ OUTPUT
| | +----
INPUT 2 -------\/\/\/\---+ |
---+ R2 10K |
| (shields) |
+---------------------+

Chan ge the circuit so that you use 33 ohm resistors
istead of 10 kohm resistors.
The Input 1 and Input 2 are in 3.5 mm stereo plug
the tip and ring.
This shoudl give you mono output that can drive
the single headphone you want to use.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Two Mono into One Stereo Polar Pro Audio 4 November 7th 05 11:08 PM
mono/stereo/dif.... Bob Pro Audio 4 October 9th 04 03:22 AM
Quality Toslink to Miniplug cable? (Under 3 feet if possible) unibrow Pro Audio 4 April 1st 04 12:29 AM
TA5F (female) to 1/8 inch (3.5mm) (male) miniplug adapter Gregory Lee Pro Audio 4 October 30th 03 03:12 PM
Subwoofer miniplug mystery Arthur Kimes Tech 1 September 6th 03 08:20 AM