Newsguy

Default Old School: Wiring Amphenol MC3M to Male XLR

Hi there. Here's a question for the "veterans" in this newgroup. I have an
old Shure 55s microphone (the Elvis type). This microphone uses an old
school version of a modern XLR connector known as an Amphenol MC3M. This is
a three pin arrangement (pin 1, pin 2, pin 3).

Now, I have a brand new old-stock Amphenol MC3M connector, a brand new
modern male XLR connector, and a length of mic cable. I want to put it all
together and make a functional mic cable. Do I simply go pin 1 XLR to pin 1
Amphenol, pin 2 to pin 2, and pin 3 to pin 3?

I have tried to locate this information through Google, but I cannot find
anything that shows a proper diagram. As a sidenote, this 55s mic has a
three way impedence switch (L-M-H), and I am not sure if that factors into
the way the cable would be soldered up.

Please advise. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Darren

Scott Dorsey

Newsguy wrote:
Hi there. Here's a question for the "veterans" in this newgroup. I have an
old Shure 55s microphone (the Elvis type). This microphone uses an old
school version of a modern XLR connector known as an Amphenol MC3M. This is
a three pin arrangement (pin 1, pin 2, pin 3).

Now, I have a brand new old-stock Amphenol MC3M connector, a brand new
modern male XLR connector, and a length of mic cable. I want to put it all
together and make a functional mic cable. Do I simply go pin 1 XLR to pin 1
Amphenol, pin 2 to pin 2, and pin 3 to pin 3?

No. I forget the pinout offhand, but get an ohmmeter. You will find one
pin goes to the case. That one goes to pin 1 on the XLR. The other two
have no connection to the case but have fairly low resistance between them.
Those go to pins 2 and 3.

I have tried to locate this information through Google, but I cannot find
anything that shows a proper diagram. As a sidenote, this 55s mic has a
three way impedence switch (L-M-H), and I am not sure if that factors into
the way the cable would be soldered up.

Actually, if you go to the Shure web site, and look at the discontinued
products page, you will be able to download the original data sheet for
the mike, with the schematic and everything.

RD Jones

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Newsguy wrote:
[...]

http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/55s_1951.pdf

http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/55s.pdf

Newsguy

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Newsguy wrote:
[...]

Hi Scott. Thank you very much much for your quick and informative reply. I
am on track now. However, here's one that is a little confusing: I found
an old cable in the bottom of a drawer that has the above-mentioned amphenol
on on end and a 1/4 phone jacl on the other. So, I cut off the 1/4 jack and
was going to put on a modern XLR. After I cut the cable, I noticed that
this cable only contains one inner wire and the "shield". In other words,
we have only two conductors here to connect to the modern XLR. Now, perhaps
the shield goes to pin 1 of the xlr, but then we have only one conductor
left over.

Does the one that's left go to XLR pin 2 or XLR pin 3?

By the way, I checked the Shure web site and found the document you were
referring to, thank you. But with my extremely limited electronics
knowledge, it really makes no sense to me.

Darren

Scott Dorsey

Newsguy wrote:

Hi Scott. Thank you very much much for your quick and informative reply. I
am on track now. However, here's one that is a little confusing: I found
an old cable in the bottom of a drawer that has the above-mentioned amphenol
on on end and a 1/4 phone jacl on the other. So, I cut off the 1/4 jack and
was going to put on a modern XLR. After I cut the cable, I noticed that
this cable only contains one inner wire and the "shield". In other words,
we have only two conductors here to connect to the modern XLR. Now, perhaps
the shield goes to pin 1 of the xlr, but then we have only one conductor
left over.

Does the one that's left go to XLR pin 2 or XLR pin 3?

Right, that cable is for an unbalanced high-Z line. Throw the cable away
and use a 2-conductor mike cable. That cable is not useful.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I found
an old cable in the bottom of a drawer that has the above-mentioned amphenol
on on end and a 1/4 phone jacl on the other. So, I cut off the 1/4 jack and
was going to put on a modern XLR. After I cut the cable, I noticed that
this cable only contains one inner wire and the "shield". In other words,
we have only two conductors here to connect to the modern XLR. Now, perhaps
the shield goes to pin 1 of the xlr, but then we have only one conductor
left over.

That's a cable that's designed to be plugged into a "high impedance"
input, with the switch on the microphone set to the high impedance
position.

By the way, I checked the Shure web site and found the document you were
referring to, thank you. But with my extremely limited electronics
knowledge, it really makes no sense to me.

In that case, you probably wouldn't understand the explanation, but
if you disassemble the connector on the microphone end of the cable,
you'll see how it's wired.

You really shouldn't use that cable with an XLR connector, but if you
insist, connect the center conductor to pin 2 and connect the shield
to pins 1 and 3. Be sure to turn the switch on the mic to M or L. Then
plug it in, and when you hear how bad it sounds, you'll have second
thoughts about whether it's worth the time and trouble to make the
proper cable.

Someone gave me two 55s and when I listened to them, I decided that
when I find a nice piece of walnut to mount them on, I'm going to turn
them into a hat rack. I could probably make a killing selling them on
eBay but I want to spare someone else the agony.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
S O'Neill

Mike Rivers wrote:

You really shouldn't use that cable with an XLR connector, but if you
insist, connect the center conductor to pin 2 and connect the shield
to pins 1 and 3. Be sure to turn the switch on the mic to M or L.
Then plug it in, and when you hear how bad it sounds, you'll have
second thoughts about whether it's worth the time and trouble to make
the proper cable.

He'll still want it on H because that's only about 150 ohms anyway. M
and L are something like 50 and 25 and those positions really DO sound
terrible. If you add some HF eq, the mic sounds a little better.

OT

S O'Neill wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

You really shouldn't use that cable with an XLR connector, but if

you
insist, connect the center conductor to pin 2 and connect the

shield
to pins 1 and 3. Be sure to turn the switch on the mic to M or L.
Then plug it in, and when you hear how bad it sounds, you'll have
second thoughts about whether it's worth the time and trouble to

make
the proper cable.

He'll still want it on H because that's only about 150 ohms anyway.

and L are something like 50 and 25 and those positions really DO

sound
terrible. If you add some HF eq, the mic sounds a little better.

The Shure published documentation refers to the
"rated" impedence as:
L = 38 ohms
M = 150 ohms
H = 40,000 ohms