Mitchell Rackin

Default Tascam MS 16 parts

I got an MS 16 a few months ago and it turns out the heads are pretty shot
and the tape lifters are seized up. I just got a deal on an OTARI MTR90II so
I am parting out my MS 16. All the parts I am selling are known to be
working.

Here's a list of some of the more obvious parts with some asking prices. Let
me know of any parts you may need even if they are not listed and I'll let
you know if they are in good shape and available. It is the version in the
big factory roll around stand. The DBX units are already gone. Machine is in
NYC is anyone wants to check it out or pick up parts in person.

audio cards for each channel (16) - $65 each or 2 for $100. They are all
fine.

Transport motors (supply side or take up side) - $75 each.

Capstan (with motor) - $50

Pinch Roller (actually pretty nice, rubber is still good. Probably replace
at some point)- $50

Tachometer/roller (like a pinch roller on supply side, I don't know the
technical name of it, nice shape) - $50

VU meters (most have some cracks in the plastic cover, but some don't. I
believe they are separate pieces so if your meter is broken, but the cover
is OK, you can probably get away with getting a cracked one.) - Uncracked -
$10, tiny crack - $5, large crack - $2.

Reel tables - $20 each

Hubs (still nice and tight) - $20 each

Also, the deal with the headstack is...
Record head is shot. The repro head has some life, one more relap left. The
erase head has some life left, too. John French says you can get another
year, maybe 2 out of the repro and erase heads, but a new record head is
definitely needed. If anyone thinks they might want the headstack, I'm sure
we can work something out. The headstack is currently at JRF and the repro
head can be relapped if desired. If no one is interested, I am just going to
have him send it back to me.

If there is naything else you need from this machine, just ask. Chances are
I have it. Thanks.

RMP_ENGINEER RMP_ENGINEER is offline
Junior Member

Hey Mitchell,

I know this is a pretty old post, but I'm checking to see if you still have parts from that MS-16 around. Looking for the capstan/motor and the PCB that is attached to the bottom of the motor. If you could, please contact me at with the subject line "MS-16 CAPSTAN" and let me know. Thanks,

James

Last edited by RMP_ENGINEER : October 12th 05 at 12:09 AM