Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default What type of capacitor should I use?

On 10/03/2017 12:01 PM, wrote:
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as .01
.05 .1, .005 and so on.....

The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any other
tube stuff.

Yes, I know this topic was sort of discussed a few weeks ago, and I
recall hearing that any of them would work, but that does not really
answer this question. Sure, they may all work, but what type would be
the closest match to the original paper/wax types?

From what I know, those caps were made from paper and a metal foil
rolled up and coated with wax. So, what is the nearest similar type?

From that last discussion, I know I left that thread sort of puzzled
because all caps seem tp contain "poly" (which means plastic). I am
thinking that what seems to be the closest would be whatever plastic
replaces the paper, and a foil. From what I understand, some caps do not
have a foil, but rather some sort of metallic material that is coated or
sprayed on. Those are probably not what I would want to use, because
they are not similar to the originals.

I am fully aware that the voltage MUST be the same or higher and the uf
must be close, such as .047 to replace .05. Also for tube circuits,
axial leads are preferred.

Then too, looking on ebay and other sources, I see a lot of very
expensive caps which are intended for high end audio amps. For my needs,
I will not pay $29.99 for one cap, and yes I have seen them cost that
much.

I am seeing some no-name cheap China caps selling for as little as 20
cents each. While I like to save money, I'd really rather spend $1 each
for something like the Orange Drops, which have been around a long time
and seem to be good quality, despite the fact they dont come in axial
form. But they generally can fit into most places.

I will only be replacing those paper/wax caps and the electrolytics. I
wont touch any mica or silver mica types, unless they appear to be bad
(I will probably test them though).

One that I do recall, are the so called Mylar, which I think were the
first ones that were made to replace the old paper caps. I guess they
now changed that name to something "poly" also.....

What would you recommend or use?
Web url's appreciated for lower cost AMERICAN made caps.

One last thing, I found some cap assortments on ebay. 150 or 200 caps of
assorted values, labeled as NOS (New old stock), but they are NOT the
paper/wax kind. Since I have no spare caps, and just want an assortment
on hand, I was thinking about buying one of those. I would NOT buy NOS
electrolytics, but for the interstage types, I might consider this, just
so I have an assortment of caps on hand..

**Just use a decent quality Mylar, polycarb or polyprop cap. If you try
to source PIO (Paper In Oil) types, then you'll need the national debt
of a small South American nation to pay for one. AND you'll gain
nothing. Just a plain ole plastic cap. It'll work and keep working and
there will be zero impact on sound quality.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as .01
..05 .1, .005 and so on.....

The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any other
tube stuff.

Yes, I know this topic was sort of discussed a few weeks ago, and I
recall hearing that any of them would work, but that does not really
answer this question. Sure, they may all work, but what type would be
the closest match to the original paper/wax types?

From what I know, those caps were made from paper and a metal foil
rolled up and coated with wax. So, what is the nearest similar type?

From that last discussion, I know I left that thread sort of puzzled
[...]

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote in message
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

One that I do recall, are the so called Mylar, which I think were the
first ones that were made to replace the old paper caps. I guess they
now changed that name to something "poly" also.....

Mylar is DuPont's brand name for a stretched PET plastic. P is for poly

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 20:17:16 -0600, Foxs Mercantile
wrote:

On 3/9/2017 7:01 PM, wrote:
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace
the old paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

Were you NOT paying attention previously when we ALL told
you to use the yellow plastic caps? 630 volt.

I WAS paying attention and I even contacted that seller and found out
they are made in China.

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

Or are you just being stubborn?

No, not being stubborn , I just dont want caps made in China. Not much
of anything made in China is a quality item. That seller has good prices
and a fair selection, but I still dont want China caps, which will
likely contain duds, and I'll end up replacing all of them in 5 years or
less, again.

And that site dont give enough info to translate to other sites. They
are just called "Axial Film Capacitors" on that site. When I look at
other sites, I see them sold with some sort of "poly" name, and I see
the word "film" used, as well as "foil". So, what do these compare to in
the words used to sell other brands?

That word "film" bothers me, anyhow. Just what the heck is this film? Is
it just some sprayed on metalic particles? The old paper caps contained
foil, which to me means something that looks like tin foil used in the
kitchen. Maybe I'm wrong, but if my radio or (whatever) was designed for
caps made with foil, I'd prefer to use caps with foil, and whatever
plastics they used to replace the paper. In other words, I want caps
that most closely mimic the original caps, except without the paper.

Paper dielectric capacitors are crap. They ALL need to be
replaced. Trying to "just replace the bad ones" is a fool's
errand. They're all bad or will fail after they're "back
in service" again.

Those paper caps may be crap now, but considering many of them lasted 50
years, they were not all crap, to last that long. I doubt any China made
caps will last even close to 50 years. I may be wrong, but based on
nearly all China products, I doubt any of them will last 5 years.
Everything made in China is just throw away short lived junk. Made to
fail one day after their warranty expires.

I have a Collins R-390A receiver on the bench. It's full of
paper capacitors. The IF module alone had 18 of them. They
have all been replaced.
"But it's Collins" and "Those were mil-spec" and and and
every other excuse for not changing them. Changing them made
a profound difference in how well the radio works.

I'm sure it did make a difference to the better, but for how long?

But rather that toss out my opinion, which is based on my overall
feelings about China products, you tell me how these caps have worked
for you. (assuming they are what you have used).
What precentage of them have been duds? If you have tested them, how
accurate are they? Have you had any fail? How long have you used them?
Will they really handle the max voltage they are rated as? How do they
perform under heat and other extremes? DId your Collins work as
designed, or did you have to re-align it or do any modifications because
the caps are not the "foil" type, and thus are not what the circuit was
made to use?

Sellers (of anything), always rate their goods at "Top Quality", but
advertising is mostly all lies. I want references from you, and anyone
else who is NOT connected to the seller.

These parts are bad. Anyone that tells you otherwise is
either lying to you or is delusional.

Although this is drifting from the topic, I just bought an old Sencor
Substitution box. It's for Resistance, Capacitors, (including lytics),
one silicone and one selenium diode, and a few other features. I took a
modern VOM with capacitor tester, and found all the paper/wax caps in
that box are still very accurate. However some of the lytics are not
even close. The resistors are all close too. Considering these parts
have seen little voltage and use, I see no reason to change any of the
small caps or the resistors. I do plan to change the electrolytics
though, because I know they deteriorate just from age, whether they are
used or not, because of the chemicals in them. (and my tests confirm
they are not even close to their rated UF values, some as much as 50%
off.

But I see no reason to change those small caps (.05 .001, etc). Not for
the brief times thay are used. and they are all very accurate in their
values.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

On 3/10/2017 4:04 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 20:17:16 -0600, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
Or are you just being stubborn?

No, not being stubborn , I just dont want caps made in China.
Not much of anything made in China is a quality item.
That seller has good prices and a fair selection, but I still
don't want China caps, which will likely contain duds, and
I'll end up replacing all of them in 5 years or less, again.

Ok, how about willfully ignorant or xenophobic.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if my radio or (whatever) was designed
for caps made with foil, I'd prefer to use caps with foil, and
whatever plastics they used to replace the paper. In other
words, I want caps that most closely mimic the original caps,
except without the paper.

Which shows a complete and total misunderstanding of what
capacitors are.

Those paper caps may be crap now, but considering many of them
lasted 50 years, they were not all crap, to last that long.

Many? Of the billions that were produced between 1935 and 1965
Almost all of them have failed. The few that "might still be
good" are statistically zero.

I doubt any China made caps will last even close to 50 years.
I may be wrong, but based on nearly all China products, I
doubt any of them will last 5 years.
Everything made in China is just throw away short lived junk.
Made to fail one day after their warranty expires.

More willful ignorance on display.

But rather that toss out my opinion, which is based on my
overall feelings about China products, you tell me how these
caps have worked for you. (assuming they are what you have
used).

There's that magic word "feelings" again. Based on nothing.

What percentage of them have been duds? If you have tested
them, how accurate are they? Have you had any fail? How long
have you used them?

I have been using them since 1994 when I got back into vintage
radios and test equipment after retiring. 23 years now. I have
never had a failure of any of the yellow plastic capacitors.

Will they really handle the max voltage they are rated as?
How do they perform under heat and other extremes?

Yes and flawlessly.

Did yourCollins work as designed, or did you have to re-align
it or do any modifications because the caps are not the "foil"
type, and thus are not what the circuit was made to use?

Other than some expected drift due to aging components little or
no alignment, other than "touch up" was required. This was done
to make the radio "work as specified" not just "it works."

You still completely misunderstand how capacitors work.

I just bought an old Sencor Substitution box.
I took a modern VOM with capacitor tester, and found all the
paper/wax caps in that box are still very accurate.

That is NOT a comprehensive test. It says nothing about leakage
or the probability of failure with applied voltage.

But I see no reason to change those small caps (.05 .001, etc).
Not for the brief times they are used. and they are all very
accurate in their values.

More willful ignorance to justify your position.

This is like assuming your tires are safe, even though you have
to put air in them every time you wish to drive your vehicle.

If you'll pardon the pun, to recap, I've been doing this for 23
years as a source of income. I haven't had ANY radios come back
due to failures of the "cheap Chinese crap" capacitors as you
insist on calling them.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

In article ,
says...

This is like assuming your tires are safe, even though you have
to put air in them every time you wish to drive your vehicle.

Speaking of unsafe tires, they do seem to have a limiated lifetime even
if not used very much. Friend jsut went through that with a tire
company. He had a tire that is starting to seperate. He talked with
the tire maker. While the tire had plenty of thread and mileage let on
it, it was over 7 years old. The company told him that after abut 5 to
6 years many tires will just go bad. In a way I wish that I had been
aware of that a year or two ago. I am retired and do not drive that
much and have a car and truck. I put some tires on them that was rated
very high in the milage thinking I would not have to worry about tires
for a long time, but seems that they may age out with over half the
thread left on them.

Speaking of China. They make some items that seem to be as good as
any,and they make a lot of junk. I have several pieces of equipmant
from China that seems to be as good as any. Friend ordered some
transistors and all of them were bad junk that did not even test on a
transistor tester.

As many power tubes are not made in the US anymore a company contractes
with a China company to make some. They seem to hold up very well.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Give this site a try.

https://www.tedss.com/LearnMore/Amer...ade-Capacitors

wrote in message
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as .01
.05 .1, .005 and so on.....

The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any other
tube stuff.

Yes, I know this topic was sort of discussed a few weeks ago, and I
recall hearing that any of them would work, but that does not really
answer this question. Sure, they may all work, but what type would be
the closest match to the original paper/wax types?

From what I know, those caps were made from paper and a metal foil
rolled up and coated with wax. So, what is the nearest similar type?

From that last discussion, I know I left that thread sort of puzzled
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 11:31:07 AM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
Give this site a try.

https://www.tedss.com/LearnMore/Amer...ade-Capacitors

Until you go into their product list and find all of the 'usual suspects' from the 'usual sources'.

https://www.tedss.com/Catalog/Browse...%20HIGH%20TEMP

The (very, very) few US-origin film caps offered are either extremely expensive, low-voltage, of unusual values (5.5 uF film? Really?) or all three.

Seriously, there is no 'there' there.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
analogdial analogdial is offline

Dan wrote:

Give this site a try.

https://www.tedss.com/LearnMore/Amer...ade-Capacitors

Right on the first page:

"Think all capacitors made in the Far East are cheap, noisy, low
quality."

'If you are looking for quality components, then TEDSS.com is for YOU.'

"Americans put a man on the moon in 1969 with American-made capacitors.
The greatest military power in the world was made by using High Quality
American Made apacitors."

Wow. I suppose the grammar and spelling are about what you'd expect
from a Usenet loon, but subpar for a vendor trying to sell quality.

And, for what it's worth, I DON'T think ALL capacitors made in the Far
East are cheap, noisy, low quality. And as soon as I hear that the
Chinese have mastered the art of making "High Quality apacitors.", I'll
be doubling up on my Mandarin lessons.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Biasi Tom Biasi is offline

On 3/9/2017 9:17 PM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:

Were you NOT paying attention previously when we ALL told
you to use the yellow plastic caps? 630 volt.

Thanks for the reminder Jeff. I need some caps from Sal.:-)

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Mueller Jim Mueller is offline

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 18:04:32 +0000, analogdial wrote:

Dan wrote:

Give this site a try.

https://www.tedss.com/LearnMore/Amer...ade-Capacitors

Right on the first page:

"Think all capacitors made in the Far East are cheap, noisy, low
quality."

'If you are looking for quality components, then TEDSS.com is for YOU.'

"Americans put a man on the moon in 1969 with American-made capacitors.
The greatest military power in the world was made by using High Quality
American Made apacitors."

Wow. I suppose the grammar and spelling are about what you'd expect
from a Usenet loon, but subpar for a vendor trying to sell quality.

And, for what it's worth, I DON'T think ALL capacitors made in the Far
East are cheap, noisy, low quality. And as soon as I hear that the
Chinese have mastered the art of making "High Quality apacitors.", I'll
be doubling up on my Mandarin lessons.

And if you look at their listings, the capacitors are made by a mix of
manufacturers, some that I've heard of, some not. It appears that they
are a surplus house.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

Big Bad Bob wrote:
On 03/09/17 17:01, wrote:
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as
.01 .05 .1, .005 and so on.....

The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any
other tube stuff.

well, if you must replace them with more modern components, a decent
ceramic capacitor should do fine. From what I have seen, ceramics
were common in gear made in the 50's and 60's because of their small
relative size and reasonable consistency in manufacturing.

You should be able to order them from companies like Digikey, Mouser,
etc.. Just make sure the voltage ratings are high enough, and you
should be ok.

I've seen on-line "photo piles" of before/after restoration efforts in
which modern components were "hidden" inside of hollowed-out
components. Maybe you can stash a modern ceramic inside of the
paper/wax tube, and seal it up with a bit of hot glue...

Ceramic capacitors are mostly cheap crap. Some have a wide change in
capacitance, at different voltages. Some are microphonic, and their
normal failure mode is a dead short. About the only place they should be
used are for DC bybass, or in low power tuned circuits.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 04:54:25 -0700, Big Bad Bob wrote:

On 03/09/17 17:01, wrote:
[...]

It will be tough to find good ceramics in the values listed with voltage
ratings high enough for tube gear. Polyester (Mylar) or Polypropylene
are better choices.

As for the quality of ceramic capacitors, it depends on what kind of
ceramic is used. C0G ceramics are about the best capacitors you can
easily get. They are very stable, have very low loss, and are excellent
in just about every other way. The one way they are not excellent is
that, except for low values (less than around 1000pF - depends on
manufacturer) they are large and expensive. Mid grade ceramics like X7R
are less stable and less expensive. They are suitable for most audio
frequency work. The really bad ceramics are the ones like Z5U. They are
truly horrible in most ways and are suitable only for non-critical
circuits like supply bypassing. They are, however, tiny and very cheap.
Go to the manufacturer's data sheet for the capacitors you want to use to
see if their characteristics match the application.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eggmen.
Then replace nospam with expressmail. Lastly, replace com with dk.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 08/09/17 19:47, Jim Mueller wrote:
Go to the manufacturer's data sheet for the capacitors you want to use to
see if their characteristics match the application.

ack on that. it's always good advice to see the data sheet.

Somewhat recently, I bought some 500V 0.047uF ceramics that I use for
high freq bypass in a 400V power supply. I checked, it's X7R. no
problems noted. (got them from digikey along with others)

but yeah, the part selectors don't give you a whole lot of choice for
capacitors at voltages about 100V, sometimes. Still, I've never had a
problem with what I've purchased that way.

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

On 03/10/17 02:04, wrote:
Not much of anything made in China is a quality item

actually, I'd think that you just have to be careful and pick a
reputable manufacturer.

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

On 03/10/17 05:34, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
There's that magic word "feelings" again. Based on nothing.

yeah, 'Feel' the 'F' word. so many bad decisions are made in the name
of 'Feel'.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 08/09/17 19:47, Jim Mueller wrote:
It will be tough to find good ceramics in the values listed with voltage
ratings high enough for tube gear. Polyester (Mylar) or Polypropylene
are better choices.

that might be in a lot of cases. I haven't had that much trouble, but
price DOES go up rather fast as the rated voltage increases. I'll
consider mylar/poly capacitors also, test, see what happens.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Big Bad Bob wrote on 8/15/2017 11:21 PM:
On 03/10/17 05:34, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
There's that magic word "feelings" again. Based on nothing.

yeah, 'Feel' the 'F' word. so many bad decisions are made in the name of
'Feel'.

Once you learn about human reasoning you will find it *always* comes down to
feelings. You may have conditioned yourself to weight your feelings on
"logic", but it still comes down to feelings and we have ways of working
around the logic when we want to.

As you say, too often we take a bypass based on some limited experience or
even anecdote we've heard that gives us a "feeling" with little rational
process behind it. See a couple of bad capacitors from any given company or
category of supplier and a strong bias develops which works to bypass that
source.

--

Rick C

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Big Bad Bob wrote on 8/24/2017 11:51 AM:
On 08/15/17 22:53, rickman wrote:
Big Bad Bob wrote on 8/15/2017 11:21 PM:
On 03/10/17 05:34, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
There's that magic word "feelings" again. Based on nothing.

yeah, 'Feel' the 'F' word. so many bad decisions are made in the name of
'Feel'.

Once you learn about human reasoning you will find it *always* comes down
to feelings.

Uh, NO.

Uh, YES!

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] stephencastr@yahoo.com is offline

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 5:03:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as .01
.05 .1, .005 and so on.....

The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any other
tube stuff.

Yes, I know this topic was sort of discussed a few weeks ago, and I
recall hearing that any of them would work, but that does not really
answer this question. Sure, they may all work, but what type would be
the closest match to the original paper/wax types?

From what I know, those caps were made from paper and a metal foil
rolled up and coated with wax. So, what is the nearest similar type?

From that last discussion, I know I left that thread sort of puzzled
[...]

Why don't you use some Paper In Oil caps. You can find russion PIO's on ebay at a reaqsonable price AND they work great.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 5:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Why don't you use some Paper In Oil caps. You can find russion PIO's on ebay at a reaqsonable price AND they work great.

This might make some sense considering. Old Fart (with apologies to the gaseous variety) is a big fan of the White House incumbent - who, in turn, is a**-hole buddies with Putin (I do hope they are using condoms).

Things Russian might be acceptable where things-Chinese, apparently, are not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA