Jay Levitt

Default Balanced power may have saved my butt

Not knowing as much as I do now, I built my home studio with an Equitech
balanced-power panel, trying to lower the noise floor, not realizing
that balanced power really only helps with certain very specific
grounding problems that I probably wouldn't have run into.

However.

Balanced power, by definition, includes an isolation transformer. For
some reason I don't entirely understand yet, this may have saved me from
some expensive lightning damage. Last summer, I experienced a nearby
lightning strike, surge, or some other disturbance, and had about $5,000
in fried electronics all around my house - everything from TiVos to
thermostats to garage door openers. One light bulb exploded, and a few
circuit boards were smoked.

The one room where absolutely no damage was done was the room filled
with sensitive, delicate electronics - the studio.

So, while there are certainly cheaper isolation-only, non-balancing
transformers than an Equitech system, it still probably paid for itself.

Just food for thought.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Sean Conolly

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
[...]

How did the Equitech itself fare? If it protected AND survived that's strong
testimony to some fine engineering.

Sean

Jay Levitt

In article , sjconolly_98
@yaaho.com says...
How did the Equitech itself fare? If it protected AND survived that's strong
testimony to some fine engineering.

Seems fine.. I mean, it's still passing power, and I'm not really sure
how to check it other than that. It's got a HUGE honking transformer,
and in fact I had upgraded mine to the "Q" transformer, which weighs
some 150 pounds. Probably could take a direct strike!

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?
Kurt Albershardt

Jay Levitt wrote:

For some reason I don't entirely understand yet, this may have saved me from
some expensive lightning damage. Last summer, I experienced a nearby
lightning strike, surge, or some other disturbance, and had about $5,000
in fried electronics all around my house - everything from TiVos to
thermostats to garage door openers. One light bulb exploded, and a few
circuit boards were smoked.

The one room where absolutely no damage was done was the room filled
with sensitive, delicate electronics - the studio.

Big hunks of iron and copper (in the form of transformers or inductors) really do provide superior surge protection--particularly from fast risetime, short duration events.

Richard Freeman

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
In article , sjconolly_98
@yaaho.com says...
How did the Equitech itself fare? If it protected AND survived that's

strong
testimony to some fine engineering.

Seems fine.. I mean, it's still passing power, and I'm not really sure
how to check it other than that. It's got a HUGE honking transformer,
and in fact I had upgraded mine to the "Q" transformer, which weighs
some 150 pounds. Probably could take a direct strike!

Since there was probably no real Ground connection on the secondary side of
the Transformer there would have been no reason for the Lightning to arc
from primary to Secondary with the destruction that that Arc would cause.

If The Transformer is passing power and not making any buzzing or Arcing
Sounds and not getting any warmer than Usual it is Fine.

Linear Power supplies tend to be less susceptible to Lightning damage than
the more modern Switchmodes and of course a nice big Isolation Transformer
is going to provide pretty well the best Lightning protection available
(certainly far better than the level of protection provided by MOVs etc).
Unfortunately as you will have discovered they do cost more than a bunch of
MOVs and weigh more which is the reason why so many Lightning protection
systems use MOVs.

Isolation Transformers also provide a far better degree of protection
against other Mains nasties such as Neutral faults and shorts between Higher
voltage cables etc as the Transformer core will go into Saturation and
effectively limit the voltage on the seconadary in addition to blowing Fuses
etc.

The Irony is that I am yet to be convinced on the efficacy of 'Balanced
Power' against the better options of fixing/removing all the earth loops etc
in the installation especially since power distribution cables are
effectively balanced anyway (think about it the current in your Neutral wire
should be exactly the same as the current in your active unless you have a
fault - Safety switches work on this very principle).
However for filtering, Surge protection etc I can reccomend the use of a 1:1
Isolation Transformer on the Mains really it doesnt need to be anything too
fancy but I guess the Balanced power people have it all boxed up in a nice
convenient package already so I suppose if they arent over charging you
might as well buy their box ;-)

Of course w_tom will be here shortly to pontificate on MOVs but really as
you have observed (it almost sounds like you suffered a direct or very near
strike or do you live in the country ? do you know where the Lightning hit ?
how far away was it ?) a good Isolation transformer will provide far better
protection (note I say better protection since in a direct strike really all
bets are off).

Regards
Richard Freeman

Jay Levitt

In article ,
says...
Since there was probably no real Ground connection on the secondary side of
the Transformer there would have been no reason for the Lightning to arc
from primary to Secondary with the destruction that that Arc would cause.

If The Transformer is passing power and not making any buzzing or Arcing
Sounds and not getting any warmer than Usual it is Fine.

Just the usual buzzing from my clipped powerline sinewave.. which of
course magically disappeared when Wellesley Power was here last week
with their scope.. maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to drag my new scope
outside and see what the deal is.

Of course w_tom will be here shortly to pontificate on MOVs but really as

Yeah, it's already been two days since I said "lightning" - he's late!

you have observed (it almost sounds like you suffered a direct or very near
strike or do you live in the country ? do you know where the Lightning hit ?
how far away was it ?)

No idea.. the power company actually had no reported strikes, but
clearly something hit something somewhere.

a good Isolation transformer will provide far better
protection (note I say better protection since in a direct strike really all
bets are off).

Yeah... I'm not worried at all about a direct strike. I mean, the odds
of that are absolutely astrom#$(52#$@#$NO CARRIER

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?
Richard Freeman

Jay Levitt wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
Since there was probably no real Ground connection on the secondary side of
the Transformer there would have been no reason for the Lightning to arc
from primary to Secondary with the destruction that that Arc would cause.

If The Transformer is passing power and not making any buzzing or Arcing
Sounds and not getting any warmer than Usual it is Fine.

Just the usual buzzing from my clipped powerline sinewave.. which of
course magically disappeared when Wellesley Power was here last week
with their scope.. maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to drag my new scope
outside and see what the deal is.

Of course w_tom will be here shortly to pontificate on MOVs but really as

Yeah, it's already been two days since I said "lightning" - he's late!

I think I have distracted him on aus.electronics Someone Mentioned
Ground and Lightning in the same breath So the twit rushed over to
spread his Myths and Disinformation I Have him backed into a corner
and Lying his little head off. He He he ! ;-) Of course he is too
stupid to Realise that every time he replies he just shows himself up
as the fool he is ;-)

you have observed (it almost sounds like you suffered a direct or very near
strike or do you live in the country ? do you know where the Lightning hit ?
how far away was it ?)

No idea.. the power company actually had no reported strikes, but
clearly something hit something somewhere.

What damage have your neighbours suffered ? maybe your house took a
hit Any scorch Marks ? - It is actually very unusual in a suburban
area for that much damage to occur from a hit to MEN Mains ( but you
didnt say wether you live in the town or country ?)

a good Isolation transformer will provide far better
protection (note I say better protection since in a direct strike really all
bets are off).

Yeah... I'm not worried at all about a direct strike. I mean, the odds
of that are absolutely astrom#$(52#$@#$NO CARRIER

Neither would I be but I have had to clean up after Lightning far too
Often.....

Regards
Richard Freeman
Bill Thompson

Jay Levitt wrote:

big snip
Yeah... I'm not worried at all about a direct strike. I mean, the odds
of that are absolutely astrom#$(52#$@#$NO CARRIER

That was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard Freeman

Jay Levitt wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
No idea.. the power company actually had no reported strikes, but
clearly something hit something somewhere.

What damage have your neighbours suffered ? maybe your house took a
hit Any scorch Marks ?

Nope, no scorch marks, and now that you mention it, it does seem odd
that the neighbors didn't have any trouble either...

Well Interesting you cannot find any scorch marks as my bet would be
that your house suffered a near or direct hit from the sound of the
damage.

That your Neighbours didn't suffer damage is not actually all that
unusual in my experience. I have found that Lightning damage via Power
lines is actually quite rare - the real damage generally comes from
either damage via relatively high impedance lines such as Phone Lines
and Mic Lines and TV/Radio Aerials and even direct hits on buildings
(of course suggestions like this are a heresy to Myth puveyors such as
w_tom). MEN based power distribution Systems provide firstly about the
best earth it is possible to get cheaply and Secondly the Power
distribution systems themselves provide a nice Low impedance path to
earth ;-) and tend to ride out strikes reasonably well most of the
time .

For Mains equipment to have suffered damage the strike has to have
been pretty well right on top of you or very very close (within Meters
of the house) in fact most likely it needs to have actually hit the
house or lead in cable .... If it is any consolation a 'whole house
protector' as installed by w_tom would not have provided any
protection any way (in fact in my opinion whole house protection
offers no extra Protection than that already provided by the MEN
system - in suburban areas anyway - in the country there are less
earth's on the distribution system and therefore a higher likleyhood
of trouble)

- It is actually very unusual in a suburban
area for that much damage to occur from a hit to MEN Mains ( but you
didnt say wether you live in the town or country ?)

Suburbs, about 20 minutes outside of Boston.

I would be interested to come and have a look around for signs of
where the lightning hit but since you live on the other of the planet
I might have to give it a miss ;-)

The damage may not be all that obvious though, read through
http://www.highvoltagephotography.com/articles.html
with a few comments by Martin Uman one of the worlds leading experts
in Lightning.

Regards
Richard Freeman